Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:36 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,189,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I swear it's like the counties around here are subject to peer pressure. At 6 p.m. they were saying slim to no chance the triangle would get anything. And then they started to fall like dominoes. It's just ridiculous.

The idea that there calls can't be made over night and people check first thing in the a.m. is just ridiculous. Yes, that would mean a night of interrupted sleep for the superintendent. They make good money - deal with it. In NY they stay up all night on forecasts like this and start posting the info at 4:30 - 5 a.m. That is plenty early enough even around here. This is about north v. south - it's about common sense. It's time to get people used to checking in, in the morning.

A 2 hour delay would have been bad enough but 3 hours?! Plenty of elementary schools won't be starting till 12:15 - ridiculous!
What I said in my post...it is the parents that they are trying to keep happy! Impossible to keep them all happy! I see both sides...a working parent waking up at 6 AM and hearing that the schools are on delay is going to have a hard time getting child care.

On the other hand...WCPSS used to announce at 5 AM and so it was the parents' job to get up early and try to make those arrangements for their kids.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM

22,651 posts, read 36,657,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
What I said in my post...it is the parents that they are trying to keep happy! Impossible to keep them all happy! I see both sides...a working parent waking up at 6 AM and hearing that the schools are on delay is going to have a hard time getting child care.

On the other hand...WCPSS used to announce at 5 AM and so it was the parents' job to get up early and try to make those arrangements for their kids.

Vicki
I agree Vicki - trying to keep everyone happy is a fool's errand. You see it right down to the classroom level here. Eventually they will get with the program. Bottom line, the school's not a babysitting service. I feel for working parents, especially those people who have difficult bosses. But on a county wide system, everyone is affected, so I'm sure that helps. I remember when I lived in NY, I went into work one morning...we'd gotten a light dusting of snow, just enough to make everything look pretty, didn't stick to the roads. Get to work and NO ONE is there. Almost everyone I worked with lived in the next county over and they got a foot a snow!!! They got to our office and couldn't believe we had NOTHING.

I saw people racing after the school bus this morning, trying to get to work. Felt bad for them.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 AM

45 posts, read 93,205 times
I guess the only reason that I even referenced Ohio in my initial comment was because North Carolina is my first experience with cancellations being done so far in advance. I've lived in Ohio, Colorado and Virginia, and they announce cancellations and delays early, the morning of, based on actual weather conditions, not predictions.
(And yes, like North Carolina, there are many working parents in each of those states that have to juggle schedules at the last minute.)

Old 01-28-2013, 11:07 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,156,612 times
I would prefer they announce no longer than a 1 hr delay the night before, if they are really unsure. Then push it back in the AM as needed. A 2 or 3 hour delay really screws things up for my household. I saw the kid next door walking back home from the bus stop this AM around 9:00am. I guess his parents never got the call or something?

It's kind of ridiculous to take my elementary school kid to school at 12:15 and pick him up a little over 3 hours later.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,237,801 times
Something I've been thinking about when I hear about how weather delays mess up parents schedules.

When there are delays, do parents who normally drive their kids to school consider sending their kids (older elementary age and up) on the bus instead of driving them like usual since a delay means the kids are not sitting out at the bus stop so early and getting "extra sleep" isn't a factor?

Is that even an available option if you aren't a regular school bus rider? Just curious.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM

173 posts, read 312,488 times
In a related note, I got a recorded message from WCPSS last night when they decided to delay 3 hours. Considering I don't have any children or connection to WCPSS, any one know how I can get off their phone list? Interestingly, I did not get a call Friday last week, just last night.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:24 PM

606 posts, read 901,623 times
Are you on an emergency pick up list for anyone pbj3589? All my contacts got calls and I got a call on my work number. That's never happened before.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,189,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Something I've been thinking about when I hear about how weather delays mess up parents schedules.

When there are delays, do parents who normally drive their kids to school consider sending their kids (older elementary age and up) on the bus instead of driving them like usual since a delay means the kids are not sitting out at the bus stop so early and getting "extra sleep" isn't a factor?

Is that even an available option if you aren't a regular school bus rider? Just curious.
We always drove our kids to school and then they rode the bus home, in the afternoon.

The reason being...while in high school, the bus picked them up at 6 AM (we were the first pick up) and then they sat on the bus for 30 min. to get to school and arrived early. Hubby went past the school so he dropped them off around 7 AM. They still got there early but could sleep an extra hour.

Believe me...a teenager with an extra hour of sleep is much more manageable!!!

As for elementary kids riding the bus, not many parents are able to leave the kids at the house and then have them leave to catch the bus. Not sure at what age you can really feel safe doing that!

Vicki

Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM

173 posts, read 312,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
Are you on an emergency pick up list for anyone pbj3589? All my contacts got calls and I got a call on my work number. That's never happened before.
Nope, I have absolutely no connection to WCPSS.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:35 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,723,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
Yeah, my parents in NY got a call last night. They were a bit surprised.

I don't really see how announcing the closings a day before really helps parents out all that much. The way I see it, if the weather forecast looks questionable they should be planning for the worst anyway. If would much rather make alternate plans and not need them, then have to take a morning off or pay a babysitter or whatever for no reason.

The last delayed opening, I was waiting at our express bus stop with a mom who worked at a doctors office. She had taken her daughter in with her and then ducked out for what she thought would be a short trip to the bus stop. Well, the bus either came super early or not at all, but whatever the case we ended up having to drive our kids to school after waiting half an hour. That time the delay probably was appropriate, but that is the kind of hassle these delays cause even if you know about them ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary