Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 03:40 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
You tear into me based on one single example - your dear mother? Give me a break.
Hey, thanks for the neg rep point!

Those are actually not to be used for disagreeing with someone...but whatever floats your boat, I couldn't care less.

I saw no need to list EVERY example I have of decent renters. You said "most" renters and I think you have nothing to base that on. Again, if you want to complain about decay, also point the finger at the property owner. However I guess it's just easier for you this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncitgal View Post
I look around our neighborhood and see owners investing in their homes...adding decks, screen porches, upgrading facades, adding on. Those are the types of things that don't happen to rental homes. Those are the types of things that also increase the value of a neighborhood.
Well now that's a good point and yeah, of course a renter isn't going to go that far. It would be nice if the property owners would do things like that.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:09 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Hey, thanks for the neg rep point!

Those are actually not to be used for disagreeing with someone...but whatever floats your boat, I couldn't care less.

I saw no need to list EVERY example I have of decent renters. You said "most" renters and I think you have nothing to base that on. Again, if you want to complain about decay, also point the finger at the property owner. However I guess it's just easier for you this way.
Sorry to disappoint, but I didn't do the rep point thing.

Your anger at what you think I said caused you to miss the point. Did I ever say RENTERS destroy property? No.

Did I say all RENTERS are trashy? No.

Did I make any other comment about RENTERS being second-class citizens and neighbors? No.

As the recent poster said, once an owner moves out of his/her house, the same level of care and attention is not given to that house. When you get a street full of rental homes, some of them - note I did not say ALL - are not maintaned to the community standard. And that affects home values.

You also missed the part where I said WE ARE RENTING. Well, until the end of the month.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:15 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Amazing how this got sidetracked to silly personal attacks and anecdotal stuff.

Fact is, a preponderance of rental homes in a neighborhood will slow appreciation, or even arrest it completely.
One feller told me he avoided neighborhoods with over about 30% rental homes, as they tend to deteriorate.
The value of a rental home is partially dependent on the revenue it will produce. As values stagnate, so does that revenue. And those values can affect the neighboring owner-occupied homes.
I like that 30% number, but would even lower it.
Rental homes just do not get the love that well-tended owner-occupied homes receive, as a general rule.
I would be concerned if my neighborhood rose to above 10% rentals.

Has NOTHING to do with the renter, although it is human nature to care more for something when we own it.

"Beat it like a rented mule."
"Drive it like you stole it."

And, of course, some homeowners just don't care, have the finances, or have a clue as to how to maintain their personal home. I see that daily, too.
Just that the rental homes tend to be worse, on average.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
When you get a street full of rental homes, some of them - note I did not say ALL - are not maintaned to the community standard. And that affects home values.

You also missed the part where I said WE ARE RENTING. Well, until the end of the month.
This thread is getting ridiculous. I didn't say you said all, I quoted you saying most - and you were referring to the people themselves, not the homes

(I'm backing away from this one now)

Last edited by scorp200; 10-21-2007 at 07:02 AM..

Old 10-21-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Fact is, a preponderance of rental homes in a neighborhood will slow appreciation, or even arrest it completely..
OK - and my objection, like that of NChomesomeday, had to do with the statement that most renters don't have the motivation to care for the property. I really disagree, but it is of course true that they're not going to make the major changes like additions, etc.

(voicing an unpopular opinion is NOT a personal attack )

Old 10-21-2007, 08:43 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
This thread is getting ridiculous. I didn't say you said all, I quoted you saying most - and you were referring to the people themselves, not the homes

(I'm backing away from this one now)
You're putting words in my mouth, but whatever. I never made a judgement on RENTERS, just what happens to a neighborhood when rentals become more prevalent.

But read into it what you will.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:59 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
As I said before, people should rent apartments, not houses.

Apartment management companies take care of maintenance/landscaping and do it well because they need the property to have "curb appeal" for new tenants.

Tenants may keep their unit well and not be destructive but certainly can't be expected to improve the rented home as if they owned it.

I've been a tenant for almost the last 37 years and am now our community watch captain. I take care of the fitness center and assist management as a volunteer. There are good tenants and there are average tenants.

Tenants shouldn't be expected to care for the property as owners, though.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:27 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Apartments have their limitations for a family with 3+ kids.

I really, really don't like what I'm hearing people say about rentals bringing down the neighborhood value. Just let me know what neighborhood y'all are in and when we move down there and have to rent while we are rebuilding our credit and financial reserves, I'll make a note not to move to your neighborhood so that your property values can stay high.

P.S. Don't feel bad about the negative rep point Scorp. I just got one for a post in another thread that someone thought was off topic!

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...water-can.html

Old 10-21-2007, 03:23 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
We'd like to see you at Northridge Crossings.

Rules allow 2 per bedroom and 3BR units are on the property.

We're in North raleigh near BJ's club, across Capital Blvd from Triangle Town Center. Y'all come see us 'heah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary