U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Home purchase, Amberly Community, real estate agent versus no agent, slow market, lack of buyers, will agent get the best price for home buyer, negotiation skills, buyer’ s agent

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,466 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've am a longtime reader and first time poster and looking to buy a home. I saw one that I really like in the Amberly Community. This New construction home has been on the market for some time now. Maybe 6-8 months. I'm wondering do i get a agent so the agent can get me the best offer? Or do this on my own And work with the builder to negotiate the price and incentives?
Not sure what benefit would and agent give me if I had one?

Also, since the market it slow and the lack of buyers for this property i'm wondering if 30-50k off would be pushing it?

Any imput would help.

Thanks,
MM
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 08:32 PM

184 posts, read 766,578 times
Default Yes, get a Buyers Agent

There is no cost to you and you have nothing to lose by having someone to represent your intrests in such a large and complex transaction... You stated in your post that you are a long time reader, so you must have seen all the informative posts from realtors like Vicki, Mike J, Leigh etc. that detail the benefits of having a buyers agent. I vistited Amberly last week during the Parade of Homes...I though it was a great area with lovely homes and beautiful amenities, Good Luck!!

Old 10-19-2007, 08:37 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,240,183 times
I believe that a buyer's agent is to your advantage. You may have excellent negotiation skills, however, I think that the buyer's agent is more experienced and will guide you through the whole process.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:53 PM

3,021 posts, read 10,535,138 times
In my opinion, if you are buying from the builder you MUST hire an agent to work on your behalf. The builders will be paying their commission, so it will be at no cost to you. You may be thinking that you can negotiate a cheaper price with the builder if you work alone since they won't have to pay your agent's commission, but in reality I don't think that happens. Other people who have posted on this forum have tried that tactic and got nowhere with the builder. However, if you're a lawyer with experience in real estate law and excellent negotiation skills you might want to give it a shot. But I wouldn't.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:15 PM

12,460 posts, read 30,415,420 times
Wow! I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Vicki

Old 10-19-2007, 09:19 PM

33 posts, read 103,799 times
I think it depends on how much knowledge you have as a buyer and your negotiation skills. We had a real estate agent that was inexperienced and horrible to deal with, and we dropped her pretty quickly and found our home on our own. So make sure if you do use a realtor use someone that is very experienced, I would suggest someone on this board possibly.

We bought an inventory home in Kitts Creek. Honestly, I believe had the builder had to pay out a commision to the realtor, we wouldn't have gotten as good of a deal as we did. However, I think this depends on the builder and how much they need to sell a home. We were also interested in a home in Twin Lakes, and the builder would not give any type of incentives, so we walked.

I love Amberly it is a beautiful community. Good luck either way you choose.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:23 PM

12,460 posts, read 30,415,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliesMom View Post
I think it depends on how much knowledge you have as a buyer and your negotiation skills. We had a real estate agent that was inexperienced and horrible to deal with, and we dropped her pretty quickly and found our home on our own. So make sure if you do use a realtor use someone that is very experienced, I would suggest someone on this board possibly.

We bought an inventory home in Kitts Creek. Honestly, I believe had the builder had to pay out a commision to the realtor, we wouldn't have gotten as good of a deal as we did. However, I think this depends on the builder and how much they need to sell a home. We were also interested in a home in Twin Lakes, and the builder would not give any type of incentives, so we walked.

I love Amberly it is a beautiful community. Good luck either way you choose.
Whether or not the commission is paid to your buyer's agent doesn't have a thing to do with the builder giving you a better deal. The builder pays the MARKETING COMPANY the commission and they pay the onsite agent his commission and the buyer's agent, his commission. If there is not a buyer's agent involved, the commission not spent on the buyer's agent is left in the marketing budget.

Therefore, the buyer's agent is FREE to the buyer, paid for out of the marketing budget for the neighborhood.

If you don't have an Agent working for you, the builder's agent is working for them and IF any problems arise, who is going to get them solved for you?

Vicki

Last edited by VickiR; 10-19-2007 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: I've sold 3 houses at Twin Lakes and got $$$ off for my clients each time!

Old 10-19-2007, 10:10 PM

354 posts, read 1,163,569 times
I agree with VickiR! Good advice. And just for that you should get her to be your buyer's agent.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:32 PM

820 posts, read 2,664,606 times
Whether the OP should get an agent or not, it seems they've already visited the home. *Some* builders won't pay a buyers agent if they didn't bring them on the initial visit correct?
MM, did you talk to the on-site agent?

Old 10-20-2007, 03:51 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,240,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
Whether the OP should get an agent or not, it seems they've already visited the home. *Some* builders won't pay a buyers agent if they didn't bring them on the initial visit correct?
MM, did you talk to the on-site agent?
I had heard this at home, but it's been my experience that if you say you have an agent, the onsite sales will not be concerned because it's paid out of a separate budget. They may be able to add the agent when you write the contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary