Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 08:57 AM

272 posts, read 303,415 times

Advertisements

I always hear that Weinbrecht and Co. have done a great job of limiting development and keeping taxes and spending down. I don't have any detailed knowledge regarding the mayor and town council, but it seems to be true. Does anybody have any info or contrary opinion about any of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
I wouldn't say they limit development but in general they have kept taxes pretty low and run a pretty tight ship. I feel like the town is run very efficiently. I have also contacted the mayor personally regarding some issues and he has responded to me within 24 hours, which I really appreciate.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 AM

Thanks Lam. Anybody else?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
Isn't one of the ways to keep taxes down by expanding the tax base via increasing development (leverage economies of scale)? So in that respect, you increase your population/tax base, you can amortize the costs of infrastructure over a greater number of tax paying entities, resulting in a lower unit cost.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
I'm not a Caryite, but my outside view of Cary town government has been that it swung over the past several years from overly aggressive development, to overly restrictive development, to a more middle-of-the-road approach (for Cary, anyway) that prevails today.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:10 PM

128 posts, read 282,872 times
I was impressed how the Mayor and Councilor Robinson reacted 2 years ago following the 'suicide by cop' bank robbery at Wells Fargo in Cary Park Town Center. This was the 3rd bank robbery in less than a year at the Carpenter Firestation / Green Level intersection, along with a murder and other issues at the nearby Grove apartment complex.

Two meetings for local residents were arranged at Mills Park and Panther Creek schools which were well attended, and strong opinions were shared with the Mayor, Councillor Robinson and the Cary Police Chief, and other senior police officers in attendance. They responded to the concerns and opened within a reasonable time a Cary Police office in an empty shop unit which will remain until the nearby fire station is constructed and which will have facilities for the police as well. I have been pleased that little or no crime has been reported at that location since which is a relief for residents who had genuine concerns that they were the forgotten people of Cary.

So whilst strictly not commenting on 'managing development' as in the OP question I thought it appropriate to share how well the Cary officials responded to a serious concern by residents in a fast growing area. Thumbs up to them for listening

Old 01-30-2013, 02:20 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
From what I can tell, they are doing a decent job.

Recently, there's been a bit in the news about developers balking at paying infrastructure fees for new developments.

Though I'm sure others can give a more accurate rundown, it's gone to court and apparently you can't charge a fee to cover the cost of improvements to roads, parks, trails, etc. to meet the needs of the additional residents the developments will bring.

Long and short of it appears to be that developers like the return on building in Cary but don't want to pay any share of the infrastructure that makes Cary a desirable place to build.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 PM

I notice a few new faces in the Town Council after the latest election. How does the new team measure up against the old one? Any serious challengers to Weinbrecht on the horizon? Anybody have any personal experience withe the members of the TC?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
May I ask the OP why he has posted this on C-D? Are you connected with the Cary town government? Wanting to run for office?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
May I ask the OP why he has posted this on C-D? Are you connected with the Cary town government? Wanting to run for office?
No. Just curious. I watch various proceedings involving the mayor/TC on a public access station from time to time and it piqued my interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary