U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,090,341 times

Advertisements

My dad just moved in with me so I am his caretaker. He is on the Blue Cross Blue Shield Medicare HMO. He's been taking medicine for high blood pressure but his medication is running out.

I'm looking for a family doctor/PCP that is good, honest, no frills in the Apex (or Cary) area. I live in Haddon Hall near HW 64/55 in Apex.

I looked at the provider list for his plan and there are a lot of doctors at these practices. I don't know where to start and hoping some of you can share recommendations for a doctor. Very much appreciated.

Apex
Heart and Hand Family Medicine - 800 W. Williams St., Ste. 200
Tarheel Family Care - 1001 W. Williams St., Ste. 103
Wake Health Services/Apex Family Medicine - 212 S. Salem St.
Apex Medical Center - 410 E. Williams St.
Wilmington Health Associates/Wake Specialty Physicians - 120 Healthplex Way Ste. 220

Cary
Rex Primary Care of Cary - 1515 SW Cary Pky., Ste. 200
West Cary Family Physicians - 256 Towne Village Dr.
Urgent Cares of America North Carolina - 100 Cornerstone Dr.
Generations Family Practice - 110 Preston Executive Dr., Ste. 100
Cary Healthcare Associates - 222 Ashville Ave., Ste. 10
Carolina Family Practice & Sports Medicine - 3700 N.W. Cary Pky., Ste. 110
North Carolina Internal Medicine - 251 Keisler Dr., Ste. 300
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 05:08 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,518,083 times
I see Dr. Nicole Robertson @ Carolina Family Practice & Sports Medicine . .she is wonderful, caring, great listener and I've recommended over and over again to friends.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 AM

4 posts, read 5,047 times
When my Dad relocated to Apex from Maryland we had a similar challenge finding a primary care physician that was in-network. This is especially important for a medicare HMO. You will find that many practices either don't take medicare patients or may limit the number they accept. You should definitely call around.

I think Tarheel Family Care closed... My dad was seeing Dr. Lahiri but she moved. He is now with West Cary Family Physicians - Dr. Nunez and is happy.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:10 PM

Thank you, this is the kind of invaluable feedback I'm looking for. The doctors' offices I listed above are all accepting new patients. Within them, some doctors are and others aren't.

So looking for feedback on the offices and the doctors. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2013, 04:12 PM

62 posts, read 214,118 times
Both of my parents, along with myself use Carolina Family Practice & Sports Medicine - 3700 N.W. Cary Pky., Ste. 110. My parents use the Holly Springs location and I use the Cary location.

I see Josh Bloom and my parents have to switch to a new Dr in the practice as the practice founder, James Stevens is no longer seeing patients (since they recently were taken over by Duke). I've also worked with a few of the practice Docs as they are team docs for the Carolina Hurricanes. I moved to Wake Forest recently- and will stick with them and make the 30 minute drive.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:10 PM

4,601 posts, read 5,333,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
He's been taking medicine for high blood pressure but his medication is running out.
For meds, don't forget to check the $4 programs at Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc. I have one I take that is on the $4 program ($10 for 90-days) that is much more if I got it through my insurance.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:18 PM

46,271 posts, read 19,935,966 times
When my mother moved in with us we had a heck of a time getting her in with a doctor. She had BC/BS and Medicare. Once they found that out, they said they would "call us back," and never did.

We finally got her in with someone, but it was not easy. You may want to try and schedule an appt. and see how it goes.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the tips.

Seems a lot of folks use Carolina Family Practice & Sports Medicine. Are they reasonable? I hope they don't overcharge or overprescribe if they claim to offer have expertise in "sports medicine" and claim that the sports pros use them.

Cuz we sure can't afford what the pros use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary