Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 02:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,700 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My husband & I are looking to move to the US this year (just waiting on my visa to go tru) from Sydney, Australia. His parents are in Nth Florida. He works from home and I am in marketing but planning to be a mommy soon. Not necessary to be near a major city but potential to get some sort of a job at a later stage would be good to keep in mind.

What we want:
Proximity to nightlife, going out restaurants etc (no longer than 45min away)
Nice place to start family
Wooded trees bigger lots
Not cookie cutter neighbourhood
Safe
House price range $250-$350k
Nice houses- good taste
Cultural match
6hrs max from in-laws (Saint Augustine, FL)

I made a short list of places that seem nice on paper but would love to hear your thoughts

FLORIDA
Saint Augustine

GEORGIA
Savannah
Athens
Alpharetta
Peachtree City

SOUTH CAROLINA
Lexington
Charlestown / North Charlestown
Greenville
Mt Pleasant
Asheville

NORTH CAROLINA
Raleigh
Cary
Apex
Chapel Hill
Huntersville?
Wilmington
Winston-Salem

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 06:15 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,798,761 times
Raleigh/Cary/Apex/Chapel Hill/Wilmington/Winston Salem are all more than 6 hours from St. Augustine - more like 7 hours or so.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Raleigh/Cary/Apex/Chapel Hill/Wilmington/Winston Salem are all more than 6 hours from St. Augustine - more like 7 hours or so.
Plus lots of cookie cutter houses unless you look in older neighborhoods. The price range is OK.

I'd suggest Charleston or Mt. Pleasant, but not North Charleston. Please check that forum.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:56 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,995,450 times
Well, to state the obvious, Raleigh-Cary-Apex-Chapel Hill is nothing like Sydney, or even Melbourne. Think Adelaide on a Sunday afternoon and you might be getting a little closer. Now the laid back lifestyle and relatively moderate climate is comparable to Australia.

Would you miss being close to the water? I know I do.

It will be tough to stay within 6 hours of the in-laws anywhere in NC - Charlotte might be close, and it has more of a big city vibe.

I would take a good look at Jacksonville FL. Good size city, close to the water, and a comfortable hour up the road from the in-laws.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,424,277 times
If I were moving from Australia to the US, the first thing I would do is buy a gun. I cannot believe the gun laws you guys have there.

Do you plan on making a trip to the US to see what areas you like? That trip will cost you money, but might be worth it in case you pick an area you do not like. I would start north and drive south to all the areas you picked out. N and S Carolina are both beautiful states.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
If I were moving from Australia to the US, the first thing I would do is buy a gun. I cannot believe the gun laws you guys have there.

Do you plan on making a trip to the US to see what areas you like? That trip will cost you money, but might be worth it in case you pick an area you do not like. I would start north and drive south to all the areas you picked out. N and S Carolina are both beautiful states.
^^^ Craziest thing I've heard in a long time!

I don't have time to add any helpful advice but I just wanted to say "hi".

Daughter lives in Ballarat with her Aussie hubby. We are trying to get them to move to the states since they just had a baby, a month ago.

Any advice?!! HELP!

TIA!

Vicki

Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,798,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Daughter lives in Ballarat with her Aussie hubby. We are trying to get them to move to the states since they just had a baby, a month ago.

Vicki
Aww, but then the baby won't grow up with that cute Australian accent. Seriously, congratulations! It must be hard being so far away from a new grandbaby.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Aww, but then the baby won't grow up with that cute Australian accent. Seriously, congratulations! It must be hard being so far away from a new grandbaby.
The accent WAS cute when we first heard it from the b/f (now the hubby). It got old FAST! It got old FASTER when daughter started sounding more Australian than American!

However, it has been 5 years so I'm ok with it. Daughter is missing us now that she has baby. It is our third grandson...one born in 2010, 2011 and 2012!

We were going to go back to see them in May but they are now coming in Sept. We'll go next May when baby is older instead of just 4 months old. Thank goodness for Skype! One day I watched the baby sleep for an hour!!!

So...to the Australian couple...welcome to the US, no matter which state you settle in, mate!

Vicki

Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,424,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
^^^ Craziest thing I've heard in a long time!

I don't have time to add any helpful advice but I just wanted to say "hi".

Any advice?!! HELP!

TIA!

Vicki
I don't know why what I said would be crazy. They have very strict gun laws. Not to try and go too far off topic, but the gun laws in Australia are ridiculous. The Australian government said it will help with crime, but crime has gone up significantly since almost all weapons were banned. They were forced to surrender over 600,000 guns and it cost the taxpayers more than $500,000 million. I wont reply anymore about it since it doesn't help the OP with her questions.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,995,450 times
Umm...I'll sneak this in before the mod arrives....

All of Australia had 229 murders last year.
NC alone have over 500

Last edited by SaucyAussie; 02-01-2013 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary