Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:36 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,089,825 times

Advertisements

Hi--has anyone HAD EXPERIENCE with or know someone who has in the situation of moving to a new home very close by but in a different high school assignment (in this case, currently Panther Creek, move to Green Hope)? If so, will the school board generally allow an 11th grader to stay at her current high school to finish out if you provide your own transportation? Both Panther Creek and Green Hope are VERY full schools, so it's not like we'd be moving into a low-capacity school zone or out of one, for that matter.

Yes, I could call WCPSS, but in my five incredibly frustrating years with them, I've never received an answer that actually came to be accurate. Well, maybe once or twice. But usually the people I talk to via the phone have no real say over anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 06:39 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,142,842 times
unless they offer school of choice..nope. And if they do your now respsonible to get her there

Old 01-30-2013, 06:47 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,236,724 times
It's my understanding that you can keep her at her current school assignment.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:54 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
It's my understanding that you can keep her at her current school assignment.
Mine too. However, I think if you move it becomes a little more nebulous....ie, if their base assignment changed they could stay, not sure what happens if you move. In this case, being two schools of equal capacity issues as noted, I am betting she can stay.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
If you don't move, you're grandfathered WITH transportation included.

If you move, you provide transportation, but can keep your school.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 PM

64 posts, read 142,650 times
I had to research this exact situation (but elem school) this summer---for a move I THOUGHT we were making. Meh_whatever is correct.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
If you don't move, you're grandfathered WITH transportation included.

If you move, you provide transportation, but can keep your school.
This is exactly how I understand it!

I attended an information session put on by WCPSS today. The person in charge of school assignment went through the process with us. It was very informative!

CHANGE OF ADDRESS
Families who move to a new address within Wake County can remain at their current school
if they provide their own transportation or can enroll in the base school for the family’s new
address.

http://www.wcpss.net/blog/wp-content...ochure-WEB.pdf

One of the agents in the session commented that her child had been in private school (personal issues) and now wanted her son to be enrolled in WCPSS. She said she had questions and called the school and "someone" got back to her within a few hours, after school hours. The woman who got back to her was actually the person in charge of student assignment, who was calling her from her home.

It seems to me that WCPSS really goes out of their way to help as much as they can!

The person in charge of student assisgnment suggested that anyone that has questions could try to email first since they do get many phone calls.

Vicki

Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 PM

My question is: what happens when you move THIS year inside Wake Co. and to a neighborhood where your child's current school was a proximity choice school under this year's plan? Do you get to keep transportation next year, I wonder?

Old 01-31-2013, 08:11 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
The way I understand it, if you move to Wake County this year and you are new to WCPSS, you go to your base and get transportation. The choice plan is gone.

However, there are calendar choices and dates for making changes and requests.

Seemed to be the best of both worlds to me. You get a base school, with options. If transportation directly to your street/n'hood isn't provided with one of those choices, there is the possiblity of "express transportation", which means you may have access to a bus if you go to one of the locations, such as a shopping center or another school. It that isn't an option and you still want the school, you have to provide your own transportation.

Vicki

Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
The way I understand it, if you move to Wake County this year and you are new to WCPSS, you go to your base and get transportation. The choice plan is gone.

However, there are calendar choices and dates for making changes and requests.

Seemed to be the best of both worlds to me. You get a base school, with options. If transportation directly to your street/n'hood isn't provided with one of those choices, there is the possiblity of "express transportation", which means you may have access to a bus if you go to one of the locations, such as a shopping center or another school. It that isn't an option and you still want the school, you have to provide your own transportation.

Vicki
But, what if you're already in Wake and you move within Wake this year? Does the plan from this year still apply? That's my point of confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary