Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 07:13 PM

152 posts, read 622,558 times

Advertisements

This may seem a silly question but I am going to ask it anyway..All the homes I have viewed for sale via the internet do not seem to have fenced yards. Is this normal in this area? The reason I ask is I have 3 dogs who laugh in the face of electric fences. Their view is if you are running fast enough it wont hurt! We are thinking of relocating here from Florida (originally from the UK ) but need a fenced property. Hope someone can help with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2006, 08:38 PM

14 posts, read 55,471 times
Default Fences

Many subdivisions have protective covenants that do not allow fences but on the other hand there are many that do I live in Cary and in a subdivision called Lochmere and although there are restrictive covenents , fences are allowed but must be approved . They must be aesthetically appropriate , Mostly that means no chain link fences. So you can find many areas that are really nice but you can have a fence. If you need more detailed info let me know I can check some areas for you or suggest some

Old 03-31-2006, 08:13 PM

110 posts, read 168,193 times
Default crazy dogs

We too will be moving to Raleigh from Florida and my husband is from New Castle! How funny! We have two crazy dogs who also need fencing. I haven't thought of it until now (thank you for your silly question)... for me that is a question I will be asking the home builder who will be building my house! Coming from Florida... of course it would be a privacy fence! We're looking at Rolesville on the north side near Wake Forest... I will find out and let you know!

Old 04-01-2006, 04:09 PM

Thanks ! Its a bit worrying when you can see on the internet all these beautiful homes with huge yards and not one fence between them all.
I dont think my neighbours would appreciate my dogs swimming in their pool or just popping in to say hi!

Old 04-01-2006, 06:03 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,604,880 times
Thanks for bringing up this topic. One of the MAJOR reasons we are leaving Los Angeles is the anti-dog laws here, and our hobby is, guess what, dogs. We never have more than 3, but they do need 6' fences (they are running dogs, not vicious in thie slightest. Who wants a vicious dog, anyway?) Would we be able to build these fences in areas that are not new developments?

Old 04-02-2006, 09:57 AM

Default Diddy,

We found a little information... it turns out that some city ordinances don't allow fencing, however, outside the city limits do... For example, we are looking into Wake Forest/Rolesville. The builder we are looking at is building just outside the Rolesville city limit in the township area. 6 ft Privacy fences are already on the properties that have been completed and sold. Make sure your realtor knows you need a fence!! We won't have a pool (the one we have hardly ever gets used-with exception to the dogs), but when we move up there, your dogs can come over and play anytime!! By the way, where in the UK are you from? My husband is a Geordie.

Old 04-02-2006, 01:26 PM

Thanks for that info. We are from South London originally and have been here for 3 years. I was born in the US so it was an easy process for us to move/live here. Must say not that keen on Florida. There is just no-where to exercise your dogs without going to one of those ridiculous dog parks where hundreds of dogs charge around in a less than an acre in most cases.
Good luck with your move and hopefully we shall join you in the near future..

Old 04-04-2006, 11:32 PM

23 posts, read 112,202 times
Default fencing

Be careful to ask you realtor about dog laws. Many communities don't allow outdoor dogs, because of barking. Also, North Carolinians that do have dogs aren't very fond of picking up their dog's ****, I guess because there aren't any laws that say you have to. We have neighbors that are forever and a day bringing their dogs to other yards to **** and not cleaning up the mess. We have a little girl that loves to play in the yard, so it has been a problem for us. Also, someone said that fences have to be preapproved in some neighborhoods. While that is true, take a good look around the neighborhood for other fences. Just because it has to be preapproved, it doesn't mean it will be. We moved from Cary to Garner because we didn't like all the restrictions to our own property, plus traffic was becoming a huge nightmare. Anything we did with our home needed to be preapproved. And even when it is preapproved, if your neighbor complains, it may get unapproved and have to be changed.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:59 PM

741 posts, read 3,509,704 times
Hello, What about in ground swimming pools? Can you have 1 ?

Old 04-14-2006, 09:03 PM

Just got back from Raleigh!! Oh my God it was so beautiful!!!! I put a deposit on an incredible 1/2 acre lot in the Wake Forest-Rolesville area!!! I can't wait!!!! building will begin next month!!! I want a white PVC privacy fence to run from the house out to the sides of the yard and down the back on both sides... then.... a iron fence to run across the back with a gate so I can see and have easy acess to the lake! maybe its just a large pond... (do I sound excited or what!!)... and yes there will be room for an inground pool!!! and we can eventually get one in the neighborhood we are going to build in. In most of the new home areas I drove through, there were privacy fences. Around some of the larger lakes there weren't any, but the dogs that were there must have been held by the invisible fences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary