Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:31 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I think it does affect them. There are *old* temporary buildings out behind the schools in Holly Springs in my area. Isn't that a result of the politics? Instead of upgrading schools to handle the kids it seems the focus is elsewhere?

Maybe I am wrong, if I am correct me.
I don't understand what you're saying. Is your implication that a child can't learn as well in an old temporary classroom as they would in a newly renovated or constructed school?

1) Hey, my elementary school had old temp 'huts'...in the 1970s. I assure you: the quality of the teacher was 100 x more important than the buildings.

2) My current building is less than 7 years old and was definitely not built in a politically powerful neighborhood. Quite the contrary; we are a Title I school with a high ESL population. Politics did not locate that school there.

3) Broughton HS has temps out back---that school is more economically diverse than most and i assure you if politics were the major factor there, there are plenty of influential families in the school that would have made building improvements there.

Lets face it: politics might impact where the money is spent sometimes, but the bottom line is there is NOT enough money to meet the needs of the district infrastructure at it's current rate of growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 05:32 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,555 times
I am not so much implying the affects on students. But I also think learning in a run down trailer is the best place either. But it shows the school district is not dealing with the problem ahead of it or even 5 years later.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-08-2013, 05:54 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I think it does affect them. There are *old* temporary buildings out behind the schools in Holly Springs in my area. Isn't that a result of the politics? Instead of upgrading schools to handle the kids it seems the focus is elsewhere?

Maybe I am wrong, if I am correct me.
I don't think they were meant to be temporary, they are really meant to help the schools deal with ebb and flow of enrollments. Last year at our school they used only two or three of the trailers (huts, cottages, whatever you want to call them). This year they are all in use and still not enough room.

In NY they have to open and close buildings as the enrollments go up and down, but the buildings still have to be maintained at the most basic level which still costs money.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:42 PM

245 posts, read 809,234 times
you moved them in the middle of the year....?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
Hell my kindergarten class in NJ was in a trailer back in the 80s and no one seemed to care. And this was in an affluent school district. It was like our own magical world back there

Old 02-12-2013, 09:34 AM

315 posts, read 767,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceili723 View Post
you moved them in the middle of the year....?
Are you asking me? If so, yes. Is this an issue for you?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barli View Post
I had wondered about that question. I moved mine mid-year. Twice. They didn't mind.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:49 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
it's been a week - what updates have you got for us?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 AM

315 posts, read 767,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it's been a week - what updates have you got for us?
My two youngest started at Holly Ridge last Friday! The woman I spoke to Carrie (?), promised me I'd hear from her by Wednesday, and she kept her word. She approved the request Wednesday, they started Friday and yesterday, (Tuesday), I got the official letters saying they were approved! YAY!

So far, all 3 kids are loving their new schools. My oldest got into construction at his school, my middle got into animal science, (he has dreams of becoming a Veterinarian), and my youngest is in intro to dance. NONE of these things, or anything similar were offered where we came from.

My only worry now is the bus situation. My oldest walks, but the younger two take the bus. I'd rather take them but that would be so un-cool! LOL The bus doesn't come into the neighborhood, so they have to wait at the busy road to be picked up. Not a big deal. HOWEVER, they are dropped off on the opposite side of said busy road and have to cross. It's enough to turn my hair grey fast, that's for sure!!!

Old 02-13-2013, 06:12 AM

387 posts, read 638,098 times
Quote:
So far, all 3 kids are loving their new schools. My oldest got into construction at his school, my middle got into animal science, (he has dreams of becoming a Veterinarian), and my youngest is in intro to dance. NONE of these things, or anything similar were offered where we came from.
Barli, if I'm remembering correctly, you were looking for a school with a good CTE program for things other than computers, cooking, or design for your oldest, right? Can I ask where he ended up? We might be moving (again ) before the start of school for 2013-14, and if my DD doesn't get into the charter school she REALLY wants, she's asking about a school with a good woodworking program (she wants to build stringed instruments like cellos and basses) if the whole being-a-professional-musician doesn't work out (at least she's thinking about the fact that she might not succeed! )

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary