Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 01:18 PM

1,204 posts, read 778,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I'm sure OP will be happy to hear that if they have really been waiting for 12 years!

haha, i just saw this. well, darn, i guess nothing has changed in that front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 03:32 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I haven't found anything remotely close to what you get anywhere in New Mexico, Colorado, Texas or California. Don't even try, you'll be disappointed. Just make your own stuff. Or, just stuff your face when you go back home/visit friends and family in those states. You can score masa harina online, make your own tortillas; there are few store you can grab other ingredients like various chiles and stuff.

There is no reason to complain about it... it's just not going to be the same. It's like complaining that chicken and waffles, or BBQ are mediocre in Denver or San Fran.
you can't get proper masa here?

Old 12-17-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you can't get proper masa here?
Most stores here seem to carry Maseca which I am not a big fan of. Whole Foods sometime carries Bob Red Mills Masa Harina which I find to be pretty good quality for both tortillas and pupusas. But it's not always available, so I tend to get that stuff from Amazon.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:10 AM

A quick update: I was driving home yesterday and took a different road and ended up driving by Taqueria La Vaquita. How could I forget about this place??? I saw it the very first time I came to check out Durham in 2018. I remember thinking then that it looked like a legit place. So, I got a gordita there and wow... I almost cried. It's legit!! The sauces were so good too. Anyway, no breakfast burritos there, but for anything else, check it out. They also have a small store there. I got a big bag of corn husks. Guess who is making tamales this weekend.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:23 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post
Please don't say Wendy's or McD's. I'm looking for a place that sells the breakfast burritos like you get in south Texas. They're served on a small soft taco size tortilla with refried beans and cheese, sometimes chorizo....the only burritos I can find are the big ones and that's not what I want. Thanks!
Well, in terms of fast food variety, the breakfast burritos at Jack in the Box are actually pretty good and quite filling. And the ones at QT stores are filling as well. But Jack in the Box is better. But you will have to visit the Charlotte area for those options.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:38 PM

569 posts, read 341,877 times
What about Taco Bell or Carl's Jr. ?

There used to be two stores (now one) on North Market Drive that sold everything including cows heads, believe it or not ! Not sure about breakfast burritos though. Very authentic Mexican food.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:14 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
A quick update: I was driving home yesterday and took a different road and ended up driving by Taqueria La Vaquita. How could I forget about this place??? I saw it the very first time I came to check out Durham in 2018. I remember thinking then that it looked like a legit place. So, I got a gordita there and wow... I almost cried. It's legit!! The sauces were so good too. Anyway, no breakfast burritos there, but for anything else, check it out. They also have a small store there. I got a big bag of corn husks. Guess who is making tamales this weekend.
There are several places like that in Durham. One on Roxboro near I85 (forget the name since they changed it years ago, it was the best), and then SuperTaquaria up the road is another, it's further up Roxoboro Road (and across from a good divey Vietnamese place. This info is all a couple years old, so there is that.

Why is it a couple years old? Because Cary has a bunch of great taco places:
For a store, try La Bonita on Chatham St. Has everything, including prepared food, and a full service butcher. REALLY good, as good as what I've gotten in Sanford (see below). There is also Taquiera La Rancharita, which has been there forever, and is consistently good. Plus there are two more places in Chatham Square facing Chatham. I forget the names, one is a brick and mortar food truck place, that is "pretty good", but has a more full-menu, the other is a little further up, closer to DT Cary, same strip of building. It has a Spanish name, but they offer $1.00 on Tuesday, VERY good, and very friendly. In between, there are a couple more Tiendas and Carnarcerias, but it's worth the 1/2 mile drive to go to La Bonita, for your grocery needs. (I've catered parties for over 50 people using only La Bonita, and got RAVE reviews)

About Sanford. Those that know me know I am not very fond of Sanford (sorry if I offend). But one thing they do have going for them is EXCELLENT Mexican Food
-El Molcajete is my favorite
-Tacos El Primo is good (Drive through only)
-A couple promising looking ones on Industrial Drive

and two really great Tienda/Carnercerias:
-La Compliadora
-(I just totally blanked out on the other) but it's right next to (used to be accross from) Compliadora, on Horner Blvd, not too far from the courthouse and not too far from Tacos El Primo.

If you are down in the area, they have excellent, authentic Mexican restaurants and stores.

Sorry to get so chatty, it's better than actually working at 7AM.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
There are several places like that in Durham. One on Roxboro near I85 (forget the name since they changed it years ago, it was the best), and then SuperTaquaria up the road is another, it's further up Roxoboro Road (and across from a good divey Vietnamese place. This info is all a couple years old, so there is that.

Why is it a couple years old? Because Cary has a bunch of great taco places:
For a store, try La Bonita on Chatham St. Has everything, including prepared food, and a full service butcher. REALLY good, as good as what I've gotten in Sanford (see below). There is also Taquiera La Rancharita, which has been there forever, and is consistently good. Plus there are two more places in Chatham Square facing Chatham. I forget the names, one is a brick and mortar food truck place, that is "pretty good", but has a more full-menu, the other is a little further up, closer to DT Cary, same strip of building. It has a Spanish name, but they offer $1.00 on Tuesday, VERY good, and very friendly. In between, there are a couple more Tiendas and Carnarcerias, but it's worth the 1/2 mile drive to go to La Bonita, for your grocery needs. (I've catered parties for over 50 people using only La Bonita, and got RAVE reviews)

About Sanford. Those that know me know I am not very fond of Sanford (sorry if I offend). But one thing they do have going for them is EXCELLENT Mexican Food
-El Molcajete is my favorite
-Tacos El Primo is good (Drive through only)
-A couple promising looking ones on Industrial Drive

and two really great Tienda/Carnercerias:
-La Compliadora
-(I just totally blanked out on the other) but it's right next to (used to be accross from) Compliadora, on Horner Blvd, not too far from the courthouse and not too far from Tacos El Primo.

If you are down in the area, they have excellent, authentic Mexican restaurants and stores.

Sorry to get so chatty, it's better than actually working at 7AM.
Wow, thank you! I copied and sent this as an email to myself! I will check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary