Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 AM

16 posts, read 30,183 times

Advertisements

We just bought a house and will be doing some renovation, like tearing down a load bearing wall and add on to the back of the house.
We have no idea where to begin to look for contractors, as it is such an important and expensive job that we are afraid to go with a company we don't know.
Any recommendation on reliable general contractors would be gratly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,921,030 times
I would trust nobody other than Joseph Grantham. He's done more work at my house than you could buy a small house for including an incredibly engineered shop which contains a car lift (10,000lb capacity) and a full basement UNDER the floor of this shop/garage.

Search this forum for previous posts I've made and you'll see lots of details and photos.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:52 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,708 times
I have seen those pictures and he does beautiful work! J. Trent Hicks here on the forum is also a great contractor. Raleigh Roofing

I recommend multiple estimates, making them sign a lien waiver stating the contractors and materials are paid so they cannot put a lien on your house, and limit the amount of money paid upfront as much as practical. Have all relevant permits pulled, verify their insurances are active, and go look at projects they have done in similar scope to yours if possible.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:09 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,132 times
Go to the Homebuilders Association website. You will find a list of contractors that have been in the community for many years.
Good luck.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:11 PM

41 posts, read 66,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
I would trust nobody other than Joseph Grantham. He's done more work at my house than you could buy a small house for.
I wonder, is he reasonable or are his estimates higher than average? Did you get multiple bids for your work? Where did he land in the mix? I believe you get what you pay for, but at the same time, you're sometimes paying a premium for a name when you can get equivalent work for less from a lesser known company.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:48 PM

838 posts, read 2,524,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2NC View Post
I wonder, is he reasonable or are his estimates higher than average? Did you get multiple bids for your work? Where did he land in the mix? I believe you get what you pay for, but at the same time, you're sometimes paying a premium for a name when you can get equivalent work for less from a lesser known company.
He did a big renovation/addition project for me. His estimates were very fair, especially considering the high quality of work that was done. The carpenters he uses are very, very good.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:27 PM

40 posts, read 82,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I have seen those pictures and he does beautiful work! J. Trent Hicks here on the forum is also a great contractor. Raleigh Roofing

I recommend multiple estimates, making them sign a lien waiver stating the contractors and materials are paid so they cannot put a lien on your house, and limit the amount of money paid upfront as much as practical. Have all relevant permits pulled, verify their insurances are active, and go look at projects they have done in similar scope to yours if possible.
I would not pay any money up front. A successful contractor will not require it.

I would consider purchasing the materials myself, but would not give the contractor money to buy the materials. You purchasing the materials will lesson the burden on the contractor having a large outlay of money before the job starts.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:56 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yllek View Post
I would consider purchasing the materials myself ....
Good idea.

1) If the quantity of materials is large, negotiate with the supplier for a discount. A few years ago I built a large detached garage and negotiated with Lowe's and Home Depot. Both vendors offered a significant "break." I placed the order with Lowe's because they offered this additional sweetener: free delivery, no matter how many deliveries may be needed. They might not cut you the same deal unless you live quite near the store, as I did.

2) Pay with a "rewards" credit card. I prefer one which pays a cash rebate (mine pays 1.5%). I shy away from cards which pay "miles" or "points." You may think otherwise, it's a matter of personal preference.

3) If a contractor goes broke with your job half-completed, the supplier(s) may place a lien against your property... even though you already paid the contractor for materials. Buying (and paying for) materials directly protects you from this risk.

Last edited by danielbmartin; 02-13-2014 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Elaboration

Old 02-13-2014, 05:17 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yllek View Post
I would not pay any money up front. A successful contractor will not require it.

I would consider purchasing the materials myself, but would not give the contractor money to buy the materials. You purchasing the materials will lesson the burden on the contractor having a large outlay of money before the job starts.
My statement was more regarding a custom cut counter, or something of that nature. I agree contractors and money up front do not mix, generally speaking.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:12 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,921,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2NC View Post
Pricing was competitive. We got other quotes. The thing is, this guy is communicative and honest and straightforward. The others seemed hard to get in touch with, would only give us a single item quote for the whole job (JG gives you a line by line quote for every item in the entire job so you can see where the dollars go) and just hard to work with in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary