Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:36 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
The Martha Stewart homes will definately impress you, but just remember thats not how you get them. They are LOADED with upgrades. You need to see a KB home just as is with no upgrades before making that decision. Unless you can get it with all those upgrades.
I've been fooled by models. Now when I go in them, I specifically ask, "What is the total cost of ALL upgrades in this model?"

One model I was in had $300k in upgrades! Crazy.

Today, I saw a model that 'only' had $120k in upgrades, and they could provide you with a full list. Once I pulled out the things I wouldn't want it was reasonable.

Another model in another community was stunning, and even with all the upgrades it was reasonbly priced.

2 other communites I visited had no model. All of the homes looked like model homes. Everything was upgreaded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 10:32 AM

13 posts, read 38,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon View Post
What are the starting prices for these homes? I'm assuming that these prices do not include the cost of land? What is the lowest end Martha Stewart home I could get? With no upgrades, including land (approx. 1/4 acre)?
Lowest single family home you could probably get for about $210k to $220k-- lots are between $1k to $6k when we bought. If you pick an inventory lot, you'd get the land included and the asking price will likely be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28
We chose a different builder who's "upgrades" were actually standards.
This was the problem I had with Kitt's Creek. (Not saying this was the community you chose, or directed at you-- just my personal rant.) They weren't REALLY standards; they were upgrades the company already made for you and billed you for. It was very common practice in the DC area we moved from. Basically, you have a $220k floorplan, and they add the hardwood floors, high level cabinets, chair rails, trey ceilings, mouldings, etc-- and they sell it to you for $320k. Then you have the Martha Stewart homes next door, which are generally the same lot and home sizes; $220k without upgrades. So people look at KB and think, "Eh, they're so plain just standard-- Kitt's Creek's standards are awesome." Yeah, but you're STILL PAYING FOR THE UPGRADES, even if they're not calling them that. You're still paying the hundred thousand dollars more. Martha is just giving you the option not to pay for it, or to do it yourself later.

As a note: I think the Kitt's Creeks homes are lovely, and I'm not trying to trash it. That particular reasoning just frustrates me so much. I hope wherever you bought, your 'upgraded standards' were the same price as another, less pimped out house in the area.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:04 PM

37 posts, read 161,723 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...tml#post340110

Old 10-10-2007, 06:11 PM

37 posts, read 161,723 times
sry..reposted an earlier post..the prices can be found at Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by autumngal; 02-06-2008 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: no re links please, ty

Old 01-28-2008, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,704 times
Default Wrong Assumptions

I would like to add some comments about the KB Martha Homes. Their new build to order campaign is really very similar to other production builders whereas all of them have "included features" and then a design center. KB actually offers more items for less money if you put them head to head. They offer better dollar per square foot then other production builders. At most of the other builders I toured they included options that I really didn't want or need and couldn't get them credited for a savings. KB seemed to offer upgrades that I wanted" IE granite, 42" cabinets...knobs on the cabinets, harwood floors etc. I didn't have to worry about paying for items that I didnt' want...I think you should explore more before giving up.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:22 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I looked at the Twin Lakes/MS homes in 2006 when I was looking to buy in the area. I was renting a townhouse at the time in Raleigh for the last few years.

I started doing research on the builder (KB homes) and found out they are one of the builders who seem to have the most problems, lawsuits, shoddy construction, etc. Plus the Twin Lakes community is in the direct path of airport traffic, the homes are so close together, the cost is ridiculous to get even some basic upgrades and the M.S. name wasn't enough to overcome the above for me.

Now that I know about KB's reputation, I am very happy I decided not to purchase there. I ended up buying an 18 year old home on 1/3 of an acre in an established neighborhood in Cary. For much less than what I would have paid to have a comparable size home I've got land, a fenced yard, wrap-around front porch, trees/landscaping, crown molding, new appliances, etc., and such nice space between me and my neighbors.

Couldn't be happier. The one thing I did have to do is put on a new roof (which I knew the house would need).

Please, please do your research on the builder. KB has a very spotty reputation.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:34 PM

87 posts, read 237,421 times
Does anyone have info on the reputation of Robuck Homes? TIA !

Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Robuck Homes is one of the area's custom builders that has been around for quite some time. Robuck built alot of Stonehenge and even built the office I'm in, Stonehenge area. Robuck is still building in this area and has a very well thought of reputation.

Vicki

Old 02-06-2008, 08:23 PM

29 posts, read 82,406 times
KB homes are ok they are not as luxurious as they seem and Morrisville is a very congested area. I originally moved here because of seeing Martha on the Today show. However when I got here and found out about the schools in the area I moved to a different county with better schools and we have KB homes here too. The resale on these is not very good.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:51 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
If I were going to pull the trigger on new home construction, I would absolutely go with a custom builder and stay away from the mass market builders

For the amount of money you will spend you want to get the best and have a home with an excellent resale value. These huge communities where the homes are cookie cutter copies are probably not your best value. The construction standards are not considered top notch.

The market is such now that you can get a resale home and not have to take the risks you do in a brand new home. There are some gorgeous homes out there...well built...with some land...mature landscaping, and at a cost that might be too good to pass up. Having heard lots of 'stories' from people who bought new construction in large communities, I'd only go the new construction route with a custom builder with a sterling reputation. It's way too much money to risk otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary