Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymann View Post
you will get a tax bill on each vehicle 4 months after you tag it in NC
If the OP is arriving in North Carolina after mid-year, this will no longer be the case. Property taxes and title/plate fees will be collected together when the vehicle is registered at the tag office.

NCDOT: Tag & Tax Together
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 01:40 AM
ZAD

8 posts, read 27,645 times
Agree with the other posters above...and can't stress enough getting on a wait list for apts soon for August. A few other thoughts not mentioned above...

* Has your wife been in touch with her new program yet, to see if they know of something/has a person who knows/recommends a place? I know a lot of med students and the like who do the 'word of mouth' advertising among friends, co-workers of their apts before they're leaving; as a result, some landlords never advertise because they already have several good leads coming to them. Worth a shot at least...

* HotPads - Map Search for Real Estate, Apartments and Houses for Rent, Foreclosures and Homes for Sale is really good, and I've/friends have found it to be very up to date, in finding details for what's available and where...

* I, too, once lived at Berkshire Manor West and was mostly okay with it (barring the annual rent/misc charge increases). However, not all of their apartment properties are at that same level. Specifically one they bought recently, formerly known as Abbey Court, now known as Collins Crossing. I know management is in process of vacating and upgrading the place, but it's in really bad shape now. *Avoid.*

* and you can find out some additional information about some of the above at Chapelboro - Chapel Hill And Carrboro News, Photos, And Events - Chapelboro.com (run in conjunction with the local radio station)

* make sure you take full advantage of all specials, etc, that your wife (and you as her guest in some places) get with her student ID card...it really adds up in savings. and it never hurts to ask if student discounts are available; a lot more plentiful now than when I went to UNC...not just for food, but concerts, town events, entertainment, etc

welcome!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,561,845 times
I too am from CT (South Windsor) and soooo love it here. I know that after this snow storm you just had, you can get out fast enough :-) I am trying to get my family to make the big move. We worked in the yard yesterday fyi and it was beautiful out. You will absolutely love it here.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:12 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I own duplexes in walking distance to hospital. 2bedroom 1 bath rent for $800-850. 2bedroom 2 bath for $900-950. We have waiting lists usually from departing students' friends. Some tenants even rent out their parking spaces. We haven't rented to undergrads for 20 years and most other renters in Westwood are grad students as well. Now is definitely the time to zero in on a place as spring is here and most folks give notice about now. Also some offer 9 month leases in concert with the school year. good luck..Chapel Hill is The Southern part of Heaven!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM

9 posts, read 17,840 times
Wow, folks! Thanks so much for the replies! We're overwhelmed with all the great, detailed responses. We are going down to CH in late March before spring break kicks off to get the lay of the land. At that time, we would like to nail down what area we would like to live in and make some contacts with landlords/property managers to get their waiting lists.

Grunchlk, thanks for the excellent references to the employee discounts and UNC Moves sites. I'm going to bookmark those and keep those handy. We're waiting to hear from her program at the School of Music and see if they're going to offer her a research position/fellowship while she's at the school.

PharmboyinNC: We've thought about living in Durham and commuting, but I've heard that parking is just so bad in CH that it's almost not worth it. Are there many places like the Friday Club that allow commuters to park in, even if it's for a fee?

Countrymann: I can't say enough about the info you posted! It's so packed with good stuff, and thanks for the pointers about the motorcycle test. We'll plan on going to Pittsboro DMV instead of fighting it Carrboro!

lb27608: Good to know. I'll have my money ready when I get there. It's similar to OK, because they would collect Excise taxes at the same time they tag you. My experience has been rather good with this kind of arrangement.

ZAD: When we visit in March, I'll try to network with the different students in the program and find someone graduating. It sounds like that might be our best bet. We'll be pushing to get on a list early. Also, thanks for the notes about the student discounts... as poor post-grads, I won't hesitate to ask for them!

DebbieF: No kidding! I grew up in Manchester for the better part of my childhood. What brought you to CH from SW? We're taking the 28" of snow we got last weekend as a sign from God that this move has His blessing!

no kudzu: Let us know if you have any properties come open for the fall. We would like to see your properties when we're down in your neck of the woods. I have my masters and my wife would be working on her Ph.D. My job, thankfully, is portable and I would transition from having a desk at work to working out of my house. My boss is really quite awesome!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:14 AM

86 posts, read 90,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT2NCtransplant View Post
Grunchlk, thanks for the excellent references to the employee discounts and UNC Moves sites. I'm going to bookmark those and keep those handy. We're waiting to hear from her program at the School of Music and see if they're going to offer her a research position/fellowship while she's at the school.
No problem, always glad to help. I certainly don't want you to miss out on free money for lack of knowledge! If do you look at the Carrboro area, the Carrboro PD maintains a list of crime stats specific to apartment complexes at:

http://www.ci.carrboro.nc.us/pd/PDFs/UCRStats.pdf

Clearly there are several places it would be best to avoid, based purely on crime stats. The place that ZAD recommended avoiding, Collins Crossing, looks to be relatively high crime. Don't misjudge the area though, less than half a mile away is Autumn Woods (down the street from Berkshire Manor West) and it's got fairly low crime (and the buildings really look nice.)

Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 PM

Got it! Thanks, Grunchlk! We'll keep those stats in mind.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM

63 posts, read 142,248 times
We will also be renting our 2bedrm/1bath condo in carrboro early summer/fall. It is on the UNC free shuttle route and also walking to downtown Carrboro weaver st market and restaurants. The person who lives next door is in the PhD program in Comp science. You will meet many UNC grads and scholars who live here. Let me know if u are interested in the details. We too moved from north east little over a yr back. We love it here!

Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT2NCtransplant View Post
We've thought about living in Durham and commuting, but I've heard that parking is just so bad in CH that it's almost not worth it.

Can someone elaborate on this? I have applied to a program in the allied health sciences and if accepted will be commuting from western Cary. It's not ideal, but we are not uprooting the kids and moving for the duration of the program. Just how bad is the parking situation, and are there any park and ride/transport alternatives I could explore?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_nature View Post
We will also be renting our 2bedrm/1bath condo in carrboro early summer/fall. It is on the UNC free shuttle route and also walking to downtown Carrboro weaver st market and restaurants. The person who lives next door is in the PhD program in Comp science. You will meet many UNC grads and scholars who live here. Let me know if u are interested in the details. We too moved from north east little over a yr back. We love it here!
MM_Nature, I'll message you privately so we can continue discussing your condo. It suffices to say that you've got our attention!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary