Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:25 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
This would be great if we were talking about a for profit enterprise. Those numbers may get me interested in investing, but not in donating.

I've been very skeptical of Goodwill for several years. As I understand their mission (and I very well may be misunderstanding since I haven't spent much time investigating) is all about job training. It seems that the job training consists mainly of training people to work in their stores to sell goods that have been donated. Now, that may be a good business model, but to my way of thinking it doesn't make a very worthwhile charity.

I love the bit in the article about how they have eliminated the classroom computer training in favor of online training. If you want to offer very basic training to very poor people with no computer skills what's the best way to do it? Of course, offer it online! That way those very poor people with no computer skills can log on from the comfort of their home office over their high speed connection. Okay, so maybe they can go to the library - either way it is much cheaper for Goodwill.
Exactly!! They are selling themselves to the public one way but operating the organization to benefit themselves family members, board members. The compensation seems well beyond what is reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 08:06 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
I used to donate to GCF but not any more. I don't mind people earning a living but this is WAY over the top.

These people need to be put into State jobs and see if they can get by on $140k a year.....

Old 02-10-2013, 08:09 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It seems to me that focusing on the pay is a diversion from this point, and other more interesting points in the article:

"Today, Goodwill employs more than 600 people and has more than $63 million in assets, according to its 2011 audit. "
Read more here: DURHAM: Goodwill husband-wife team earns nearly $800,000 | News | NewsObserver.com
I wonder how much GW pays those employees?

Around here we have many nice, new modern stores, and GW even has an online auction site similar to Ebay. Their prices really seem to be rising in recent years, and all of the good items seem to be listed on their auction website where they sell for top dollar.

All of the employees in my local store appear to be recovering addicts and juvenile delinquents. Are they helping these people, or taking advantage of their cheap labor? I'm on the fence with this one. I have to admit that I am glad they are around, as I shop there a lot and find very nice items (new w tags even) at a fraction of retail.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I wonder how much GW pays those employees?

Around here we have many nice, new modern stores, and GW even has an online auction site similar to Ebay. Their prices really seem to be rising in recent years, and all of the good items seem to be listed on their auction website where they sell for top dollar.

All of the employees in my local store appear to be recovering addicts and juvenile delinquents. Are they helping these people, or taking advantage of their cheap labor? I'm on the fence with this one. I have to admit that I am glad they are around, as I shop there a lot and find very nice items (new w tags even) at a fraction of retail.
The article says the average is 19.28/hour, wages + benefits.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Hmm that seems really high. I honestly think my local store is employing people from drug rehabs and other juv programs. 20/hour is what most places pay professionals with college degrees, around here.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
Quote:
I'm sure most is benefits. Where I used to teach (before moving here where I teach for "peanuts")
they used to post of average wage, including salary and all benefits (medical, retirement) and it had people thinking our earned salary was 3X as much as it really was. I know benefits count, but if you tell a worker earning 8.00/hour that their benefits add on another 11.00/hour, it doesnt mean much to them-their take home I'm sure is much less. My old neighbors had a son with ADHD and a slight learning disability, but the two combined made college not work out for him. He got a job at Goodwill, where they called it job training, but he worked in the laundry room for not much more than minimum wage.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:39 AM

23 posts, read 30,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
I'm sure most is benefits. Where I used to teach (before moving here where I teach for "peanuts")
they used to post of average wage, including salary and all benefits (medical, retirement) and it had people thinking our earned salary was 3X as much as it really was. I know benefits count, but if you tell a worker earning 8.00/hour that their benefits add on another 11.00/hour, it doesnt mean much to them-their take home I'm sure is much less. My old neighbors had a son with ADHD and a slight learning disability, but the two combined made college not work out for him. He got a job at Goodwill, where they called it job training, but he worked in the laundry room for not much more than minimum wage.

Not only that, but averages can hid a lot. I am willing to bet if the CEO and his wife are making $800,000, then some of the others are making more than six figures that will skew the average wage higher. A quick look at their Form 990 on guidestar.com indicates that $11,211,375 was spent on wages for program services. This not does include management or fundraising. Also, it does not include benefits. If the $11,211,375 was spent on the 647 employees that the 990 mentions, then assuming that they are all full time, the average $17,328 per year or $8.33 per hour. That is a far cry from $19 oer hour.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times
I have been suspicious of Goodwill for the past few years. Their prices have really risen, and they have started taking really nice donated items (Coach bags, leather jackets, designer shoes), locking them up in a glass case, and selling them for high prices ($50-$60). I can catch a good sale and get items at THIS price, the point is that it's a THRIFT STORE. Also, I always thought moving the job training from classroom to online was really, really bootleg and cheap. Many people who need this training don't have access to the internet, so it's pointless.

I give items to Goodwill simply out of laziness - I do sweeps of junk every month or two, and Goodwill is near my house. But perhaps I'll find a better place to donate items - the Durham Rescue Mission store out on 70 is definitely a worthy, local cause.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 AM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Hmm that seems really high. I honestly think my local store is employing people from drug rehabs and other juv programs. 20/hour is what most places pay professionals with college degrees, around here.

So the average professional with a degree makes 40k/yr------wrong major!!!

Mike noted that the article indicated GW was in shambles. I would take that to mean they were on the verge of going under! This guy turned it around. GW provides a service and also employs a large number of people-----which is beneficial to the local economies. What is that really worth? 100k/yr? 200k/yr?

Old 02-10-2013, 09:18 AM

310 posts, read 575,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
GW provides a service and also employs a large number of people-----which is beneficial to the local economies. What is that really worth? 100k/yr? 200k/yr?
What service does good will provide? That's where I think the scam is. If anyone is aware of anything they provide that a for profit retail store does not please let us know.

They do provide jobs which does benefit the local economy, but so does Walmart and I'm not about to donate anything to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary