Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:36 PM

22 posts, read 58,649 times

Advertisements

The Goodwill Industries scam is indeed an outrage. But we all know what the outcome of the exposé will be. As always, donors will flock to Goodwill in ever increasing numbers. It's always a weird, supernatural and uncanny phenomenon that every time a business or a charity gets exposed for wrongdoing, they get more business and donors than ever before. And in a couple of weeks, everyone will have forgotten about the exposé anyway.

Why does the public always react that way? Could there be something in the water?

¿ʎʌɹnʇ ʎsdoʇ plɹoʍ ǝloɥʍ ǝɥʇ sı
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 05:26 AM

809 posts, read 2,187,927 times
Just saw one of the GW commercials on News14. My, my, they've changed the wording. The end being, something like; "Good Will, keeping people employed and offering online classes".

Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Goodwill trashes more than the others.

Re-Tails and North Raleigh Ministries are worthy. North Raleigh also has a food bank and gives some cash benevolence.

We never get receipts because we rent and don't itemize. Our reward is giving to a worthy cause.
I too would prefer to donate to a worthy cause. Being new here, I'm still finding my way around and trying to find good places to donate.

I'lll be looking into some of the places mentioned on here. I can make it a donation run and maybe browse/shop at the same time-love a good thrift store find!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
Just saw one of the GW commercials on News14. My, my, they've changed the wording. The end being, something like; "Good Will, keeping people employed and offering online classes".
Sounds like according to what GW has to offer, most employers in the US would fall into the non-profit charity category. They all provide jobs and offer training, afterall.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,142,908 times
OUCH!

sounds as wasteful as the CEO of Goodwill is down in my current parts
Augusta Goodwill-operated restaurant set to open Tuesday | Mobile Augusta

Guess Master chefs and resturants is the objective of Good Will Industry now days, also.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:18 AM

170 posts, read 362,980 times
people are outraged over this but don't mind the inflated reciept they get for tax purposes.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 AM

5,883 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcb26 View Post
people are outraged over this but don't mind the inflated reciept they get for tax purposes.
Every receipt I have received has always been blank. It is up to the donor to establish the value of the goods donated.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 AM

170 posts, read 362,980 times
do you think people undervalue? I highly doubt it.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:54 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,165,745 times
I have a load of "to be donated" stuff in my car now. Goodwill is much more convenient than many other charitable organizations, but I will not give them any more items, or my business. I just don't buy the excuse of "why should they be forced to live on normal" salaries argument. If they were decent people, they'd cut their salaries in half in light of this "controversy".

Old 02-12-2013, 12:11 PM

809 posts, read 2,187,927 times
Quote:
Quote:
do you think people undervalue? I highly doubt it.
lol. I'm not sure I'm getting your point, danmcb26. Are you suggesting it's the fault of the public that donates to GW? We're aiding and abetting this disgusting sham?

Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary