Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 10:46 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,072,516 times

Advertisements

I was reviewing the recently-updated crime stats on city-data.com for Charlotte & Durham. I was able to confirm my suspicion that although Durham's crime rates are higher than other parts of the Triangle, the stats pale in comparison to those of Charlotte. I'm not posting this to bash on Charlotte at all, but rather to point out an interesting difference. I find it even more interesting because most people who consider moving to Charlotte probably don't think twice about crime, but when someone mentions Durham, crime is the first thing almost everyone brings up in response.

Consider the following stats (all are the rate per 100,000):

Murder: D-6.2, C-11.9
Rapes: D-46.9, C-49.5
Robberies: D-467.6, C-458.5
Assaults: D-415.9, C-557.1
Burglaries: D-1482.8, C-1942.0
Thefts: D-3645.7, C-4025.5
Auto Thefts: D-550.9, C-1022.3
Arson: D-23.0, C-49.5
Crime Index: D-567.1, C-691.0 (US Avg. 323.2)

As it turns out that the rate of all major crimes (except robberies) is lower in Durham than in Charlotte. In fact, the rate of murder, auto theft, and arson is almost twice as high in Charlotte than in Durham! Durham's crime index in 1999 was 903.8 and has steadily improved to the current rate of 567.1. For comparison, Charlotte has improved from 744.2 in 1999 to 691.0 in 2006.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 10:50 PM

460 posts, read 1,765,713 times
Very interesting!

BTW, what is the source of the stats?

Old 10-21-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Source

I'm not sure where City-Data.com gets their data. Maybe an administrator can answer that.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:54 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,769,642 times
I love it here in Durham, but Durham does have a ways to go toward improvement. Are those stats showing numbers or based on an index? I'd like to compare those numbers to population percentages since Charlotte seems to be quite larger than Durham. Hopefully, if Bell gets reelected again (which sounds like will happen), he doesn't downplay the crime issue since his opponent (Stith) has really made it a highlight issue. Durham does need to improve it's numbers by a lot. However, it's encouraging to see the improvement numbers.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:13 AM

These numbers are normalized as rate of occurrence per 100,000 in population. You are correct about Durham needing to contine improving the crime situation, however the major crimes in Durham are heavily concentrated in a few select areas. Outside of these areas, Durham is as safe, or more, than many other cities.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:20 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,134,244 times
Speaking of crime...if the stats SHOW where the area with most crime is, why don't the police just post more officers in that particular part???

I mean, isn't that like being at an Easter Egg Hunt and having someone whisper in your ear where the Easter Eggs are hidden?!!

Vicki

Old 10-22-2007, 08:36 AM

847 posts, read 3,513,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
I love it here in Durham
The crime rate, and a lot of other things, have really improved since Bell was in office. The issue is already in the forefront of efforts. I've been here (and around here) 2 decades--Durham is moving in the right direction.

Yes, it is most helpful to compare Durham to similarly-sized cities when talking about crime, even if you are comparing percentages.

Dunno, you can skew stats many ways, but here's a comparison between July of 2003 and July of 2007:
2003: Durham Police Department
2007: Durham Police Department

VickiR, the police department has several focus efforts in neighborhoods. Here's just one, Project Safe Neighborhoods:
Durham Police Department

Other community programs:
Durham Police Department

As you might imagine, people are more complex than Easter Eggs.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:15 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,769,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Speaking of crime...if the stats SHOW where the area with most crime is, why don't the police just post more officers in that particular part???
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
VickiR, the police department has several focus efforts in neighborhoods. Here's just one, Project Safe Neighborhoods:
Durham Police Department
Vicki, the City of Durham is doing just that and focusing their efforts on such target areas including the installation of cameras. Though a lot of people are against them (from what I've read), I think it's a great idea since the only people, I imagine, against such things would be those who are probably doing something questionable in those areas (and speaking with our local officers, I doubt anyone is trying to infringe on anyone's privacy by spying on private citizens). The cameras are there to monitor safety and crime issues, the same way they would if they were sitting in their car. Except, it's supposed to be 24 hours. Heck, I wouldn't mind it if they installed a camera on my street, even though I'm in one of those relatively safe neighborhoods.

The only issue with focusing on the target areas is that the crime element may leave that area for, what would otherwise be, safer areas. So, it's important that those safe areas also have cohesive neighborhood watches.

Unfortunately, Durham certainly has its crime issues, but the stats show that Durham is improving. It must improve more. But even with stats, when anyone or anything gets a bad rep, it takes a sustainable successful system of efforts to change public perception. Durham got a bad rap for a reason. It'll take a little time to change it to a good rap... but Durham is doing it.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:20 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,359,985 times
Charlotte does have its share of crime. Property crime can and does happen anywher ein the city. All the police do is tell you to file a report online for a lot of them. Murder GENERALLY is confined to the rougher areas of Charlotte, excepting unusual things like when a former Moe's employee recently killed two of his former bosses. I'd say most of Charlotte is safe from a violent crime standpoint, but you better watch your belongings almost anywhere in the city.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,915,433 times
Another source of crime stats from the State Bureau of Investigation.

http://sbi2.jus.state.nc.us/crp/publ...%20Summary.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary