Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:05 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
I'm pretty sure if she goes to court and says this she will get out of the ticket...
Based on what I've witnessed in traffic court, I think that's a very optimistic prediction.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,924,304 times
Quote:
The law states reduce speed OR move over for stopped emergency vehicles, and she did slow to well under the speed limit - she did not move over because her exit was soon after where the officer was pulled over.
It also says, with regard to slowing down rather than moving over:

Quote:
This paragraph applies only if the roadway has only one lane for traffic proceeding in the direction of the approaching vehicle or if the approaching vehicle may not change lanes safely and without interfering with any vehicular traffic.
She's going to have to convince the court that she could not meet that standard for moving over. Tough sell, in my view.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,943,169 times
Best outcome might be them offering a driving course and in return they will drop the charge. That will take two court dates, 50 bucks for the class, and 4-8 hours of classes.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:36 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,990,763 times
I wish you had've all kept quiet. I was looking forward to hearing the outcome of the "my exit was coming up soon" defense. Might have made the news.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:51 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,226,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post
I agree 100%. The least we can do is move over. It is a slight inconvenience to slow down and move over in return of greater safety of ANYONE who is on the side of the road (police officer, construction crew, tire-changer, etc.).
Gonna have to agree with janster!

And OP...re the title of your thead...why is that a "bad cop"?!!

I got a speeding ticket a couple of years ago..I was speeding. Not because I was in a hurry but simply because I wasn't paying attention to where I was...somewhat distracted by being lost. I wouldn't even suggest the cop was "bad" because he gave me a ticket. He was doing his job.

Vicki

Old 02-11-2013, 02:11 PM

11,220 posts, read 8,289,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I wish you had've all kept quiet. I was looking forward to hearing the outcome of the "my exit was coming up soon" defense. Might have made the news.
Exactly!
Attached Thumbnails
Wife got a ticket for passing a police officer - any way out of court costs?  Any way to discourage bad cops?-screwed-bad-cops-cary-simpsons-paradox1.jpg  

Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,001,311 times
Quote:
My wife got a ticket for not moving over to the other lane when passing a cop on the side of the road. The law states reduce speed OR move over for stopped emergency vehicles, and she did slow to well under the speed limit - she did not move over because her exit was soon after where the officer was pulled over. I'm pretty sure if she goes to court and says this she will get out of the ticket, but is there any way out of court costs? It frustrates me that cops can throw around ridiculous charges and even if you get out of them, you still end up paying a bunch of money (court costs are $188 I believe). Is there any way to fight cops throwing around bogus charges? They are public servants and my taxes pay for them, when I screw up at work I am held accountable, is there any way of requesting officers like this guy be held accountable for wasting everybody's time and my money?
Why this a bad cop ??
Why a bogus charge ??

Held accountable?? I think the cop is holding her accountable..

Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,749,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Best outcome might be them offering a driving course and in return they will drop the charge. That will take two court dates, 50 bucks for the class, and 4-8 hours of classes.
Not sure where you are from, but they don't do driving school to reduce traffic charges anywhere in North Carolina that I know of.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:47 PM

843 posts, read 2,099,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Not sure where you are from, but they don't do driving school to reduce traffic charges anywhere in North Carolina that I know of.
I was in driving school in Raleigh for a ticket in VA. All but 3 of the 30 people there were there from NC tickets. Mostly Raleigh and State Troopers tickets. Everything from speeding to texting while driving.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,924,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Hmmm ... I've had attorneys mention that as an option on a couple of tickets family members received. We never had to go that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.