Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 AM

4 posts, read 9,919 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am a 37 year old single man, currently living in Portland, Maine and am originally from New England.
I was a Police Officer in Boston, Massachusetts and took a leave of absence to enlist in the Army, while serving I was seriously injured (broke my back) and was eventually medically retired. I am now at a point where I can usually walk unassisted but the cold weather really limits me and hinders my quality of life in the winter months. I have spent time in Raleigh and I enjoy the city and the state, as well as the traditions and friendly nature of the people. I can't stand when people move somewhere and want to change it to a carbon copy of where they just left...
Anyway, I am considering a move to the Raleigh area and would certainly appreciate any advice on cities/neighborhoods that offer a walkable lifestyle that would allow me to get out and be a part of a community and get me off my (sometimes) lazy but and walk to a coffee shop, restaurant, etc as well as a dog friendly area. I haven't decided if I will buy or rent first so that I can explore the area better.
If any of you have any info on the VA and/or hospitals that might specialize in spine issues, that would be awesome.
As I stated, I am coming from Maine and want to escape the weather but also the attitude of many of the people here. There is a "closed off" feeling here and is difficult to make good friends and there is at times an anti military feeling as well. My car was severely vandalized recently and the Police caught the man who did it, he informed them that he was part of a group that targeted cars with Veterans and Disabled Veteran (as mine was) license plates because of "what they stood for". He was never charged.
I am not looking for anything special, just a friendly and warmer area that I can call home and become a part of your community.
Thank you all for any advice and/or information that you can offer.
Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 12:08 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,740,951 times
First of all, thank you for your service, and it's so sad that you have to go through this now from injuries.

If I were in your shoes, I would definitely check out the town of Durham, which has really grown into a great place over the years if you're close to downtown. It's walkable, and you would be close to the VA hospital at Duke.

Durham used to have higher crime rates, but it's changing. And the downtown is really cute!

Close to downtown Raleigh would be another option but that's further away from any VA hospital (that I know of, anyway) but it would also be something to look into.

Everywhere else outside of close to downtown there would be public transportation, but it's pretty sprawled out.

best of luck,
toodie

Old 02-12-2013, 01:05 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,143,101 times
I agree give Durham a shot..Don't let the "old news" you might find on Durham get to you. Theres a few "bad areas" but it is not as large spread as it once was.

Toodie covered the VA location part

Fare free goes to the VA hospital ( 6, 6B Duke university/VA hospital/ america village/sparger road) Bull City Connector

Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 9,919 times
Thank you both for your replies. I really hadn't thought of Durham and perhaps that was based on my own ignorance or on Durham's past but since reading what you had to say, I did some research and was quite impressed with the transformation. Being from a different area it's important that I can learn from others what to look for and what to avoid and the advice I have received so far is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:53 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Here are some threads you may be interested in. Near downtown Raleigh would be a good choice, too. There's plenty of stuff to walk to if you're close enough.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...oft-maybe.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-downtown.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...d-raleigh.html

You can use the "search" feature on the right of the screen here at the top, and it'll bring up threads for your key words.

Also,

St. Mary Street near Cameron Village in Raleigh is very close to downtown and walkable to the Cameron Village shopping area. It's charming, and some of these apts. are inexpensive. I've driven by the Oakwood apts and they look cute. I have no idea what these places are like inside but St. Mary's St. is a very beautiful, safe, walkable area.

Cameron Village Apartments - Raleigh, NC | Apartments in Cameron Village Neighborhood for Rent

Happy searching!
best,
toodie

Old 02-12-2013, 04:15 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,143,101 times
Meet the Downtown Durham Ambassador Team! - YouTube

the opening of Beyu Caffe ( coffee house downtown Durham)
First Look: Beyu Caffe - YouTube

Live music and people watching I recommend Brightleaf Square in Durham, NC
American Tobacco Entertainment District in Durham, NC

There is plenty of Apartments, and condos in the area that gives you direct access to the bus line and close to the Durham VA Medical Center

CNN Money mag 25 best places to retire.25 Best Places to Retire - Durham, NC (1) - CNNMoney.com

Durham Retirement | Durham, NC - Official Visitors and Newcomers Information

Transportation | Durham, NC - Official Visitors and Newcomers Information

If you can drive. There is other areas to consider Chapel Hill/ Carborro might be one, Many of the suburbs of Raliegh ( Cary, Apex, Morrisville, Wake forest Etc etc), or down-town Raliegh , itself.

Capital Area Transit - The Official City of Raleigh Portal
Home — Triangle Transit

Catching The Bus - YouTube

Chapel hill has a Free Fare public bus system also.
Chapel Hill Named "Most Livable City" in America - YouTube

There is para transit for all of the triangle areas if you qualify.

Cary a subburb of Raliegh has C-Tran C-Tran

Hope some of this information helps

Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 AM

579 posts, read 522,263 times
Durham. It's VA hospital is right across from Duke hospital and they share staff. It's also a bus hub. Many small one floor houses or duplexes in the area. My friend who is a vet and in need of ongoing medical care loves the VA here.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
Durham. It's VA hospital is right across from Duke hospital and they share staff. It's also a bus hub. Many small one floor houses or duplexes in the area. My friend who is a vet and in need of ongoing medical care loves the VA here.
I second the recommendations for checking out Durham.

For some reason, Durham seems to have the best restaurants and taverns in the area. Great food. Good atmosphere. Not sure how walkable it is, even downtown, things are a little spread out. But it is as walkable as any other place around here.

If you're looking for a lively, affordable community, Durham would be hard to beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary