Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:58 PM

22,623 posts, read 36,573,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
With how awful loan officers are at their job I wouldn't be surprised if you put an offer on a house in March but couldn't close until June. I have a friend that works as a real estate lawyer and she says she can't remember the last time a closing happened as planned. When we closed on our house the date got pushed back three times because the loan officer kept forgetting to do little things. We ended up closing on the same day we had to be out of our apartment. Talk about stressful!
Ha, that's par for the course in NY. Both on the buying and selling end of our house up there we had accepted offers in April, went to contract in May and closed at the end of July and all parties involved marveled at how QUICKLY AND EASILY WE CLOSED!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 01:08 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,157,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Call me crazy but I've always liked having electricity and a way to drive my car to the house.
BUT...do you want them in YOUR backyard?!!

Old 02-13-2013, 01:11 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,102,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justusandthekids View Post
We have a strong preference for the neighborhoods with mature trees, etc. Preston still seems so large/sprawling to me that I can't pinpoint one neighborhood over another off the top of my head (any advice?). There are quite a few that are way beyond our price point and yet others that have seemed a bit "rundown" (for lack of a better word). We are of course concerned with schools but we'll work with what we end up with. I like the idea of the kids going to Weatherstone Elementary if possible...I've heard decent things and the overcrowding doesn't seem to be an issue. I know it's also the overflow school for a number of the schools on the verge of capping.
My younger two went to Weatherstone for a year and a half until I bought a place and the schools were Reedy Creek (worked better for me with elem and middle on same campus due to 3-yr age diff with my kids).

I liked Weatherstone.

Have you considered Weston Pointe? Nice neighborhood. Firmly in your price bracket. Just a few years newer than Weatherstone (neighborhood).

Similar homes.

Houses that are nice out there sell very quickly. Convenient to greenway, Lake Crabtree, Umstead.

Just an idea. The elem is Northwoods.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:33 PM

171 posts, read 318,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
My younger two went to Weatherstone for a year and a half until I bought a place and the schools were Reedy Creek (worked better for me with elem and middle on same campus due to 3-yr age diff with my kids).

I liked Weatherstone.

Have you considered Weston Pointe? Nice neighborhood. Firmly in your price bracket. Just a few years newer than Weatherstone (neighborhood).

Similar homes.

Houses that are nice out there sell very quickly. Convenient to greenway, Lake Crabtree, Umstead.

Thanks for the info on Weatherstone ES! I do like Weston Pointe as a neighborhood...I think I read somewhere that the same builders did Weatherstone, Wellesley and Weston Pointe...or did I make that up? Any feedback on Northwoods? I haven't been able to find much positive or negative.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justusandthekids View Post
Thanks for the info on Weatherstone ES! I do like Weston Pointe as a neighborhood...I think I read somewhere that the same builders did Weatherstone, Wellesley and Weston Pointe...or did I make that up? Any feedback on Northwoods? I haven't been able to find much positive or negative.
Probably some of the same builders. They all had various custom builders on each neighborhood.

I don't know much about Northwoods. I have some friends who live in Weston Estates that have a child out there and they seem to like it well enough.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:32 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,077,393 times
I Don't know, but there is nothing in the price range we want in the area we want. Period. Plus, having done new construction (once totally custom on our lot and once via national builder) I would rather not do that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islander03 View Post
Do the spec homes in new communities move as fast as resale homes in the spring? We decided to buy new/pre-construction so we have control over getting into the house we want by summer time. Buying resale is too much of a gamble.. waiting for the right house to come on the market, for the right price, and seller accepting our offer.

We're also putting up our house for sale in April, hoping to get it sold by June, and our new home ready by then.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:37 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,077,393 times
I have a fifth grader at Weatherstone due to the "choice" feeder pattern courtesy of WCPSS, which is now gone, hence our wish to move (to keep that feeder). SO we're not looking at a huge range of areas. BUT more to the point, I like Weatherstone, too, W. Cary has been good so far, and the areas around Weatherstone seem very nice but not, as the OP expressed a wish for, very wooded/established.

Quote:

I liked Weatherstone.

Similar homes.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
I have a fifth grader at Weatherstone due to the "choice" feeder pattern courtesy of WCPSS, which is now gone, hence our wish to move (to keep that feeder). SO we're not looking at a huge range of areas. BUT more to the point, I like Weatherstone, too, W. Cary has been good so far, and the areas around Weatherstone seem very nice but not, as the OP expressed a wish for, very wooded/established.
OP specifically stated that Weatherstone (school and neighborhood) were desirable.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 PM

171 posts, read 318,250 times
Quote:
OP specifically stated that Weatherstone (school and neighborhood) were desirable.
I guess our idea of mature trees and well-established is relative. What I meant was that we prefer not to be in a neighborhood that is new contstruction (or newer than 10-15 years old) and still has that "tract home" feel, KWIM? If you think of Weatherstone and Wellesley that's exactly what we're envisioning.

Meh's got the ticket !!

Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 PM

257 posts, read 490,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
I Don't know, but there is nothing in the price range we want in the area we want. Period. Plus, having done new construction (once totally custom on our lot and once via national builder) I would rather not do that again.
Why not? I'm curious to know on what we should look out for with doing new construction... nowadays and in NC.

Our first house was a pre-construction basic KB home (no upgrades whatsoever). Didn't even know to get a home inspection or buyer's agent at that time (was in our 20's - young and naive). After that, we bought our current house which is now 20 years old, and had to remodel to upgrade it for sale. Just didn't want to do again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary