Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Your definition wouldn't match with the industry definition then. I threw in the warehouse stores since I know many people that do all of their grocery shopping at them and they carry all the same category of products as a typical grocery store.
Yes, we love BJ's, but many items only come in quantities we cannot use. Warehouse clubs really can't meet many family needs unless you have a huge family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
Depends what you're buying but I agree. It's a certain subset of customer that does all their shopping somewhere like Costco. But then again, the same thing could be said about any grocery.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
The only time I set foot in HT is to get a movie from Redbox. HT is too expensive. Sure, they maintain clean stores but so does Walmart neighborhood market. Boxed/canned goods come from the cheapest place (Walmart or Kroger). Meats/produce from Fresh Market but the Lowes at Davis/High House has decent produce as well. HT...good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:33 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,399 times
If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em?

Some Krogers are pretty nice. The one at 64/Lake Pine isn't bad.

I wonder what this will mean for the areas where a Kroger and a Teeter are sort of close to each other. Six Forks Road around the Beltline, Creedmoor Road, and High House road come to mind.

Perhaps whatever stores get closed as a result of this consolidation can be snapped up by Publix or some other entity.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:33 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeckster View Post
The name Harris Teeter might stay but I highly doubt things will stay the same.
Very true. I've lived in three different places where Kroger purchased the local or regional chain, so here's what you can expect:

Press release saying the name won't change. (That will be the ONLY thing that doesn't change)
Kroger house brands will start to appear - In this case, HT brands will start to disappear.
Reduction of staff. No wholesale cuts, just enough to notice you're going to have to put some effort in to find someone to help or answer a question.
Regional food items will start to disappear. Not all, but if you're fond of an item made by a local manufacturer find another source. Same with produce or meat items.
Less selection in general. If you had a choice of 7 types/brands/flavors, you will now have 5 to choose from. 5 before, look for 3.

The number one thing to keep in mind is Kroger is all about market efficiency. That's how you're able to buy everything in sight and grow like they have. Efficiency. If the product sold varies, if the employee interaction deviates, if the sales floor product layout is different, that's inefficient and won't fly.

Too bad, I thought the Cameron Village HT was an amazing grocery store. RIP.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
I've lived in a lot of parts of the country, and shopped at a lot of different grocery stores, and my overall reaction to this is "meh." Most of what I want to buy I can get at any decent grocery store, and that which I can't find I can usually do without.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:00 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
I wasn't THAT in love with Harris Teeter (stopped shopping there when I gave up processed foods 3 years ago), but I absolutely can't stand Kroger. Every once in a while I give them another try, and each time I vow never to go back. I'll be sticking to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Fresh Market and Costco. For household items I shop at Walmart or Target anyhow. The new Walmart Neighborhood Markets are prett nice, and are WAY better than any Kroger I've been in locally.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Man. This sucks. I was hoping Publix was really coming in and would serve as competition to HT on the mid-higher end. Now they are our only hope for something between Whole Foods and crap.

I will say the Wal Mart groceries are nicer than I thought they would be but we need something else. They still dont carry everything we need. Even Food Lion has some things they don't. HT has things the other two dont, etc. now less selection is going to suck.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
The Krogers here in Cary suck. And do not have gas.
Go across the street to the Shell station to use your Kroger rewards for a gas discount.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:49 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Go across the street to the Shell station to use your Kroger rewards for a gas discount.
Umm, if you don't actually BUY anything at Kroger, you don't have any reward points.

Just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary