Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:10 PM

120 posts, read 248,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
If Kroger is high-end in Ohio, I'd hate to see what low-end is there. Food Lion is low-end here and although the stores are like prison commissaries, everybody knows it, nobody is ashamed of it, and for what they are, the stores ain't that bad.
You are missing the point. Whatever the Krogers are like here in NC (I haven't been in any), they are much nicer in Ohio and other parts of the midwest. In fact, most Krogers I have been to in the midwest are nicer than Harris Teeter, which I find to be small and sort of awkward with very limited deli/bakery. Also, Kroger has a better loyalty program. Food Lion seemed just a small step above an Aldi in the couple of times that I've been in one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 04:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,961,010 times
There are some decent Krogers here, and some decent Food Lions too. And there have been some crappy Harris Teeter stores here (the old store on NC54 at Fordham (15-501) was small, messy, and reeked to high heaven).

Old 07-13-2013, 05:24 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,127,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
There are some decent Krogers here, and some decent Food Lions too. And there have been some crappy Harris Teeter stores here (the old store on NC54 at Fordham (15-501) was small, messy, and reeked to high heaven).
I agree. There are some VERY crappy HT's. One that I can't stand is on Jones Franklin in the Plaza West shopping center in Raleigh. It ALWAYS smells bad in there. The tiny one in the Cary Mall complex isn't much better. That said, I don't care for Kroger although I've only ever been in the one in Cary. I have been in some nice Food Lions. I personally don't think FL is all that bad. It's not fancy but all the ones I shop in are very clean and the employees are very friendly.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:26 PM

173 posts, read 297,397 times
Harris Teeter will become a subsidiary of Kroger. Kroger isn't overtaking and rebranding.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:18 PM

363 posts, read 1,213,360 times
If you read the noises being made by the PR folks at Kroger, they are basically saying that Kroger has tried doing upmarket but have not succeeded as well as Harris Teeter has. And that they hope and expect to be able to learn from HT.

Now I certainly expect to see some of Kroger's better efficiencies come in to play, I don't think it will be all hugs and kisses between the two, but I genuinely think Kroger will try to keep some of the better high end qualities of HT.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:41 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,789,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I agree. There are some VERY crappy HT's. One that I can't stand is on Jones Franklin in the Plaza West shopping center in Raleigh. It ALWAYS smells bad in there. The tiny one in the Cary Mall complex isn't much better. That said, I don't care for Kroger although I've only ever been in the one in Cary. I have been in some nice Food Lions. I personally don't think FL is all that bad. It's not fancy but all the ones I shop in are very clean and the employees are very friendly.
The HT at Cary Towne is definitely one of the worst. I think they just knew they wanted to build another store and stopped trying there long ago. The new one where the theater used to be should be much better.

I agree about Food Lion. They definitely seem to be tailoring stores to the area they are in and also seem to be making the new stores nicer. They are simple, but somehow they finally figured out how to do an inexpensive store that does not look horribly cheap, just minimal. The store at Davis and Morrisville Carpenter is a good example.

I think the whole thing is hilarious since HT is heavily covering Western Wake that Kroger abandoned a few years ago.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:36 AM

223 posts, read 577,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I agree about Food Lion. They definitely seem to be tailoring stores to the area they are in and also seem to be making the new stores nicer. They are simple, but somehow they finally figured out how to do an inexpensive store that does not look horribly cheap, just minimal. The store at Davis and Morrisville Carpenter is a good example.
That's because it was initially supposed to be a Bloom-a higher end grocery store owned by FL, not a "traditional" Food Lion.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:21 AM

387 posts, read 1,046,809 times
I buy at least 50% of my groceries from HT. I don't find them extraordinarily high. We buy mostly store brands of cereal, pasta, dairy and it is a lot cheaper than name brands at Walmart. I don't mess with coupons, I get an email with regular specials and E-vic specials, and when the few name brand things I buy (like Cotonelle TP) go on sale, I stock up. We also buy most of our produce at HT. We go to Trader Joe's once a month to stock up on nuts, and a few specialty items. And we buy our eggs and most of our meat from Earthfare. I worry about this merger because HT is the nicest store for the price in our area and I don't want it to change.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,831,834 times
Will they stay 24hrs? A lot of the HTs I go to are open all the time.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:47 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,163,966 times
I hope so. These days it seems like the only time I can get grocery shopping done is at midnight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary