Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Because her realtor is showing her around Cary
Yup. That'll do it.

That said? We have kids and were shopping above 600k and we didn't really wanna live in CH.

Cary is just more convenient for us. We did LOOK in CH, though.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,191,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Yup. That'll do it.

That said? We have kids and were shopping above 600k and we didn't really wanna live in CH.

Cary is just more convenient for us. We did LOOK in CH, though.
Wow...moderators must make the big bucks!!!

I like Chapel Hill but wouldn't move there simply for the schools.

That being said, I DO have current clients that are doing just that...looking in CH because of the schools. They are coming from an area that they have had really high rated schools and they feel that neither Wake nor Durham nor Johnston County compare.

It is not easy to find a really nice home in CH with 4 bedrooms for under $500K!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Wow...moderators must make the big bucks!!!

I like Chapel Hill but wouldn't move there simply for the schools.

That being said, I DO have current clients that are doing just that...looking in CH because of the schools. They are coming from an area that they have had really high rated schools and they feel that neither Wake nor Durham nor Johnston County compare.

It is not easy to find a really nice home in CH with 4 bedrooms for under $500K!

Vicki
As a product of WCPSS? I think one can receive a fine education, attend good colleges, AND afford a lovely home despite all the worry over their quality.

My spouse is a product of the public schools in Flint, MI.

I think people freak a little harder than they need to over school quality.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,191,857 times
Quote:
As a product of WCPSS? I think one can receive a fine education, attend good colleges, AND afford a lovely home despite all the worry over their quality.

My spouse is a product of the public schools in Flint, MI.

I think people freak a little harder than they need to over school quality.
That is your opinion and although I agree with you, I want to help my buyers find what THEY want!

So...if getting less house in CH and getting CH schools is more important than getting a nicer home in Wake County with Wake County schools, that is what we'll do!

It is easy enough to sit back and give opinions (which is what we all do on this forum) but it is up to the buyer to do what is in their best interest, even if none of us agree!!!

Vicki

Old 02-13-2013, 02:25 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,140,490 times
i dunno as much as i like chapel hill. Ive been exspanding my visits to the other cities and researching them and find that there is 3 other counties I hadn't considered before we started. In the end I have a feeling were I thought we'd up won't be were we end up at all..lol

If I had the 600k budget I wouldn't know what to do with myself..lol

Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
That is your opinion and although I agree with you, I want to help my buyers find what THEY want!

So...if getting less house in CH and getting CH schools is more important than getting a nicer home in Wake County with Wake County schools, that is what we'll do!

It is easy enough to sit back and give opinions (which is what we all do on this forum) but it is up to the buyer to do what is in their best interest, even if none of us agree!!!

Vicki
Oh, I agree! Besides, I'm in no hurry to expand the population of Cary.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmquiroz View Post
i dunno as much as i like chapel hill. Ive been exspanding my visits to the other cities and researching them and find that there is 3 other counties I hadn't considered before we started. In the end I have a feeling were I thought we'd up won't be were we end up at all..lol

If I had the 600k budget I wouldn't know what to do with myself..lol
It's funny, but you really do have to feel a place out to figure where you'd be willing to live.

For example, I don't really like Apex. Maybe a few communities along the edges, but otherwise? It's not for me.

I only like certain parts of Raleigh. If money was no object whatsoever, we might buy ITB. With land. That'd be perfect.

If I didn't have kids, I might move to a few places in Durham County.

I would move to Holly Springs if I never had to commute. So far, 12 Oaks is the only neighborhood I much like out there.

Ditto Clayton. I sorta like Portofino. I'd buy a horse or two.

I've lived in Knightdale and Zebulon. Never again. Grew up as a small kid in/around Zebulon. It's just not for me, but I like visiting family there and such.

Lived out in Wakefield. Don't care for it. That knocks out WF and Rolesville. Besides? Those are close to my mom. HA!

I like most, but not all, of Cary. It's convenient. There are houses we like in our price range. Soooo... This is where we live.

Chapel Hill seems kinda remote to me, for some reason. I like visiting, though.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,896,516 times
Quote:
I think that's one factor that appeals to some: It's close, but not too close. You can still feel a part of the Triangle without being completely swallowed up by it. Of course, that will change in time.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:29 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
Quote:
It's funny, but you really do have to feel a place out to figure where you'd be willing to live.
Y'know that's the way I feel about Raleigh and points around there. I like it the few times a year I get over there to a museum or concert, but it feels too far for me here in Chapel Hill and pretty much there's everything I need and want here.

OP, Chapel Hill and Cary have pretty different vibes to me at least (but full disclosure above, I don't get to Raleigh/Cary way _that_ often).

Chapel Hill is the quintessential college town. Carrboro is it's conjoined twin hippie town. If you like the idea of a college town and all that goes along with it (closing down Franklin St for big basketball wins—even though they're few and far between lately; lots of businesses catering to students and fans—lotsa T-shirt shops on Franklin St; very politically liberal; active activist community, etc) then definitely look in Chapel Hill and Carrboro. CHCCS regularly is the best scoring school system in the state on EOGs, etc. Whole neighborhoods do go to the same high school and to some extent middle school, although if the kids are in the dual language programs they would go to a different middle school (same high school for the whole neighborhood usu). They've just introduced magnet dual language elementary schools, too. It's a small school system with just 3 high schools. There's a high concentration of high achievement in CHCCS, many folks say due to lots of professor's kids and brainy RTPers kids as well as some folks say due to affluence, although there are certainly kids in poverty in Chapel Hill and Carrboro, too. It's also not lily white. There's a significant Hispanic population and Burmese (Karen) refugee population as well as African Americans, Asians, and whites.

However, if the liberal college town idea doesn't hold much appeal, lots and lots of people (and many on this board) are very happy in Wake Co and Cary.

You can compare the official state of North Carolina's report card on the schools here:

http://www.ncreportcard.org/src/sear...ty+Scho&GO2=GO (Chapel Hill Carrboro)

http://www.ncreportcard.org/src/sear...Schools&GO2=GO (Wake County)

Click on the district name at the top to compare the districts as a whole and click on individual schools to learn more about them. I certainly don't think these numbers are the be all and end all about schools, but they can give you a starting point.

Last edited by poppydog; 02-13-2013 at 03:48 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Y'know that's the way I feel about Raleigh and points around there. I like it the few times a year I get over there to a museum or concert, but it feels too far for me here in Chapel Hill and pretty much there's everything I need and want here.

OP, Chapel Hill and Cary have pretty different vibes to me at least (but full disclosure above, I don't get to Raleigh/Cary way _that_ often).

Chapel Hill is the quintessential college town. Carrboro is it's conjoined twin hippie town. If you like the idea of a college town and all that goes along with it (closing down Franklin St for big basketball wins—even though they're few and far between lately; lots of businesses catering to students and fans—lotsa T-shirt shops on Franklin St; very politically liberal; active activist community, etc) then definitely look in Chapel Hill and Carrboro. CHCCS regularly is the best scoring school system in the state on EOGs, etc. Whole neighborhoods do go to the same high school and to some extent middle school, although if the kids are in the dual language programs they would go to a different middle school (same high school for the whole neighborhood usu). They've just introduced magnet dual language elementary schools, too. It's a small school system with just 3 high schools. There's a high concentration of high achievement in CHCCS, many folks say due to lots of professor's kids and brainy RTPers kids as well as some folks say due to affluence, although there are certainly kids in poverty in Chapel Hill and Carrboro, too. It's also not lily white. There's a significant Hispanic population and Burmese (Karen) refugee population as well as African Americans, Asians, and whites.

However, if the liberal college town idea doesn't hold much appeal, lots and lots of people (and many on this board) are very happy in Wake Co and Cary.

You can compare the official state of North Carolina's report card on the schools here:

District Search Results Page (Chapel Hill Carrboro)

District Search Results Page (Wake County)

Click on the district name at the top to compare the districts as a whole and click on individual schools to learn more about them. I certainly don't think these numbers are the be all and end all about schools, but they can give you a starting point.
See? I love all these things about CH. And I love Carrboro.

I guess I'm just used to being near the colleges I attended (Meredith and NCSU). Plus, the airport is like, 8 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary