Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 22,303 times

Advertisements

First I would like to say thank you to those who take the time to read and post to this forum. I have read so much helpful info in the archives already.

My family is relocating to NC. Hubby's job is in RTP. We have 3 children, two elementary age - one of which will go into middle school the subsequent year.

We are looking for the right place to call home.

I am overwhelmed at all the different areas to consider within commuting distance of RTP. Relo expert is recommending west Cary at the forefront, with south Cary and North Raleigh other possibilities.

I will live anywhere that affords my child the best public school experience they can get. Schools are my top priority, even if it means giving up a dream house in another area.

While we can afford private schools, I am a strong believer in going to school with the same children in the rest of the neighborhood and the bonds/friendships that come from the community ties.

I would love to hear about which neighborhoods and schools we should look at during our first visit.

We are fortunate that our price range should allow us to buy in almost any neighborhood. Saying that, I don't want a super expensive neighborhood with only older families. We want a friendly neighborly place with other small children and activities for them.

I have read all to much about the Wake County school problems, and having the children moved to a different school after only one year terrifies me, so ideally, I would like to know if there is an area less likely to be moved around.

I have read about Highcroft Elementary, Alston Ridge, Mills Park El and Mills Park Middle as being great schools. Neighborhoods mentioned were Copperleaf, Bedford, and Renaissance.

Would appreciate any feedback on these areas/schools. I want nothing more than to put my children in the best possible place they can be, surrounded by a great school with lots of programs, technology, and of course great teachers!

Thank you in advance for helping a mom who is trying to do the best for her little ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 08:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,878,534 times
Have you considered Chapel Hill?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:29 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times
If you have Copperleaf money? Buy in Copperleaf. Tons of young families and kids.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,051,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKelly View Post

While we can afford private schools, I am a strong believer in going to school with the same children in the rest of the neighborhood and the bonds/friendships that come from the community ties.

I would love to hear about which neighborhoods and schools we should look at during our first visit.
If this is a priority for you, I would definitely consider someplace other than Wake County. Even if you live in a stable area with few reassignments, many children living in the same neighborhoods go to so many different schools. You can live on a street where every child is in a different school by choice (magnet, YR, traditional, charter, private etc). It's very common.
Also, some west Cary schools are full (capped) and people who move in later are sent to overflow schools. They haven't determined capped schools for next year yet, but there were some in west Cary last year (and probably will be again based on enrollment history).

Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,139,616 times
If want to stay IN wake county district Apex , Fuquay Varina and Wake Forest seem to be doing fairly decent in their public schools.

Chapel Hill schools would be the next for public schooling I'd suggest.

If you can afford private, I would consider them..least until perhaps you gained entry to one of the many great Charter/Magnet schools in and around the Triangle area.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 AM

40 posts, read 123,371 times
We are in a similar position (though with a budget capped high 400s or 500) and I wish I could tell you it was easy. When we moved here we leaned towards Chapel Hill. Quick background I lived in Cary for a couple years many years ago so I somewhat knew the lay of the land and school reputations. But the area has changed a lot. When we started looking, we saw that we could get much more for our money in other towns like NW Cary, North Raleigh and Holly Springs than we could in Chapel Hill. But for reasons like uncertainty with schools, uncertainty about where 540 will go through, commute, etc. we are looking in Chapel Hill again.

On one hand, it's a good problem to have. There are no fewer than 10-12 neighborhoods that we like much more than where we came from in PA. But the different uncertainties and fear of making a bad decision (probably because it's still not a great market so things like closeness to power lines, highways, dumps, etc. get scrutinized more than in good times) has our heads spinning.

Since it was brought up, what are the chances of getting kids into the magnet and charter schools around here?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Have you considered Chapel Hill?
I also agree with this question. Why not Chapel Hill?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,390,057 times
If schools were my top priority and you can afford >600K for a home, then Chapel Hill is the right choice. I love living in West Cary but do not have school aged children.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,139,616 times
Yeah, If you can afford Chapel Hill area. There is Lloyd Square, off James St and Quail Roost, Carrboro brand new builds going up I think it is McDougle Schools, but tons of resales in your price range In and Around Chapel Hill.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 AM

5,732 posts, read 17,554,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I also agree with this question. Why not Chapel Hill?
Because her realtor is showing her around Cary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary