Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want the Forum Top Sticky to change?
Leave the Forum Sticky of area photos 9 39.13%
Rotate with other area related threads 14 60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I still don't understand what's wrong with having 2 sticky threads, SunnyKayak. We've done it before. Moreover, other categories on the city-data forums continue to do it (the Oklahoma forum currently has 2 stickies). Nobody is saying we want to have a dozen sticky threads clogging up the top of the list. We just want 2 ... just like what we've done before and just like what others continue to do.
Thank you for pointing Oklahoma out to me I was not aware they had two stickies and this will strenghten the case for two stickies.
I think it will fly over ok since in the about forum the administrator has praised you guys for having meetups.

I only did this poll due to the case in case there cannot be two stickies I wanted to make sure the majority is ok with the change since it is your forum.
For instance I have to follow same guidelines and could not sticky this thread as much as I wanted to.
It may take me 24 hours before I get a response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 11:48 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
I would prefer a FAQ as the sticky. Within the FAQ, include links to common questions/discussions. One of these could be the "pictures" post. As needed, we could create another for other topics (e.g., one one on Wake Schools) that pull together the major discussion points. Just makes it easier for newbies to find the common posts, as opposed to trying to search (which many don't know to do).

Old 10-22-2007, 11:59 AM

959 posts, read 4,493,573 times
I like the idea of a FAQ as a permanent sticky, with a link to the photo thread (or maybe containing links to the photo threads), and local info links It might catch the eye better than the long title of our photo thread.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:00 PM

Very good post rfb.
If someone got the free time to compose a list of the information about the common questions ask in Raleigh Durham forum and make a thread with this list then that could be added.

We could have one sticky called Meetups Photos and Area Information. I totally understand members not searching due to often when I do a search I get unwanted results or results I have to sift thru 50 threads to find my answer.

Here is an example made in Charlotte forum that may be ideal for here.
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...formation.html

This way the forum sticky would have a link
to the photos thread
area information thread
area meetup thread
the city data faq thread that already exists City-Data Forum
and any other important threads

Old 10-22-2007, 12:35 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
I agree that a FAQ would make a good sticky. The search function on this forum stinks because you cannot search phrases so you end up with all kinds of things in your results that are not what you want. Even when you know to try to search, it's still hard to find what you want.

I also think that we should be allowed to have more than 1 sticky in this forum. Really, the rule to have only 1 sticky seems pretty arbitrary to me. Sticky threads should be done by relevance, not by number. I often think that the adminning here is too strict and for no good reason, and this is an example.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:01 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,603 times
If you're going to stand by the one-sticky post, I would recommend that post be a "reference post". Keep the post open for replies so readers can suggest threads to link from within the sticky (then the Mod can delete replies after deciding whether to include the thread link). Yes this creates a little more admin overhead for the Mods, but it's a great compromise and on the forums I run it's worked out splendidly.

For example, SunnyKayak start a thread titled "Triangle Reference Post".

Then within that, post links to classic threads in this forum, e.g.:

- Good Mexican Restaurants thread;
- Best stores for Big and Tall Men who need unitards thread;
- Water restrictions thread;
- Bike trails of the Triangle thread.
......and so on.

We've also engaged our readers to help maintain the sticky either through replies or PM/DM, so that adds a sense of ownership and ensures the info stays fresh.

This also becomes an awesome resource for n00bs and regulars.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:01 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
San Diego has three stickies - one for fire information, one for pics, one for neighborhoods, so it appears that this is not an overall forum rule.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:19 AM

The purpose of limiting stickies is to prevent people having to scroll down the first page to see the first post, and preventing additional stickies bumping a thread off first page.

Senior moderator response to more than one sticky
Quote:
Originally Posted by markablue View Post
I'm afraid the boss will notice...

But if it helps you in moderating, I think he'll agree to two stickies? As long as they don't make people scroll down the page to see the first new post, you know...
One sticky can be of a desired thread the other one has to be a locked thread.
San Diego is an exception to the rule due to the tradegy going on in that city and county.
The Wildfire sticky is needed to help those who may only can communicate via internet.

It same for here I have done for emergency bullentins. I have use this in past for Amber Alerts.

Here is a similar thread containing Charlotte area popular stickies like meetups, photos, information etc. One could be design for this area and doesnt have to be as elaborate.
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...formation.html

This thread didnt replace the existing threads but organized them to one thread containing all of the very important threads. The existing threads will still remain active.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-23-2007 at 07:53 AM..

Old 10-26-2007, 02:34 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
The Florida forum has two stickies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary