Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: Raleigh, public administration degree, find a job, masters in educational leadership, rent a house, safe areas, great schools.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,013 times

Advertisements

My life story goes like this:

I moved from NYC after 9/11 with my airline to retain my position (amoung other reasons) to Sarasota, Florida. It is now one of the worst places to live for costs (if you are a middle to lower-middle class family...forget living here).

My airline has just offered me a position with full time hours (one does not get full time hours in an airline unless you have more than 20 years in Florida) in RDU.

I have a 14-year old, who just started one of the worst high schools in Florida a few months ago. She attended a number one rated charter middle school here.

My boyfriend has a master's degree in Public Administration and I am almost done with a master's degree in Educational Leadership. I have eligibility to work as a teacher in Florida, but no certificate because I cannot find a job (within the counties in a 50 mile radius; it's not for a lack of trying).

I would love some ***very quick***(have to say yes or no soon to the job offer) advice to see if this move is really something we should consider, since we have to break our lease on our apartment.

We want to rent a house, 2 bedrooms preferably, with a fireplace. Are these fairly reasonable in Raleigh? How about apartments? Do they also come with fireplaces? We pay 1000 per month now, and need to cut that down quite a bit to 700 or so. We have impeccable references for renting.

How are the schools there? My daughter is a straight A student. Are all the high schools good? Any schools we should avoid?

Crime rates are stated as low in many posts. What neighborhoods should we avoid, if any?

Does anyone know of any alarm monitoring companies in the area who offer positions monitoring?

If there are any NY'ers who have moved, what is the food bill like each month? Someone just moved to Sarasota from New York recently, who works with me, and said that the food in Sarasota is much more expensive than NYC.

It looks like a beautiful area in some of the pictures that current residents have been so kind as to post! Please feel free to brag about your area; let me know what is so wonderful about it! I'm interested in all opinions!

We will not have much money to move, are there any areas with low security deposits for homes? (Even though we have higher degrees; it's incredibly difficult to make a living in Sarasota......unless you are very, very lucky to know someone in high places....which we do not)

My thanks to all who reply, and please have a wonderful day!

Please feel free to email me as well as post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,963 times
Default You should move to NC

Hi - my husband and I just moved from MD 3 weeks ago. He has family in the Raleigh area so that is what brought us here. But it is a really good place to raise a family. And the cost of living is very reasonable.

Lots of shopping, to do things, and events. We are currently staying at Briar Creek area in a temporary corporate apartment, and it is 5 min from RDU. Great area with lots of restaurants and shopping. Seems to be a good place for families.

We are actually buying a new townhouse with zero down pmt. Housing costs are very reasonable.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:13 PM

546 posts, read 2,147,462 times
Default Neighborhoods to avoid

I'm a former Raleigh cop so I know a bit about neighborhoods out there.

Avoid: Southeast Raleigh - high crime, Southwest Raleigh - Loud College kids

North Raleigh is very upscale and affordable for the most part. The Briar creek area in the northwest part of the city is up and coming.

Northeast Raleigh is an older area and they have very nicer and new homes. Schools to avoid are Millbrook high. One of the worst schools in Raleigh. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Overall raleigh is very laid back and is great for kids. A lot of parks but it is suburbia. There is no downtown, no general center of the city. But you're coming from Sarasota so you're used to that.

My two cents...hope it helped!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:25 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
There is no downtown, no general center of the city.
I couldn't disagree more. Raleigh doesn't have a downtown? That is news to me!

RaleighSkyline.com - Photography and Multimedia of Raleigh, North Carolina

Picasa Web Albums - North_Raleigh_Guy - Downtown Raleigh

Picasa Web Albums - North_Raleigh_Guy - Downtown Condos (broken link)

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...n-raleigh.html

Welcome :: Downtown Raleigh Alliance

Quote:
The Briar creek area in the northwest part of the city is up and coming.
I would say these areas have already arrived. Very built up and highly desireable place to live. Nothing really "up and coming" about those places.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 10-22-2007 at 08:38 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,629 times
Quote:
I'm a former Raleigh cop so I know a bit about neighborhoods out there.

Avoid: Southeast Raleigh - high crime, Southwest Raleigh - Loud College kids

North Raleigh is very upscale and affordable for the most part. The Briar creek area in the northwest part of the city is up and coming.

Northeast Raleigh is an older area and they have very nicer and new homes. Schools to avoid are Millbrook high. One of the worst schools in Raleigh. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Overall raleigh is very laid back and is great for kids. A lot of parks but it is suburbia. There is no downtown, no general center of the city. But you're coming from Sarasota so you're used to that.

My two cents...hope it helped!

I smell a Charlotte-ite.

Anyway, from those comments this guy sounds like he hasn't been here since the late 90's.

NO DOWNTOWN? Well i wonder why downtown Raleigh's Glenwood South district was mentioned in the New York Times as a happening spot, or why their are numerous condo buildings being erected all over DT's 110 blocks of land area? Take that garbage elsewhere.

Southeast Raleigh is clean and experiencing robust growth, with a dwindling crime rate. Why would you think there are so many middle to high income neighborhoods being built? The only parts that have considerable crime is Southeast "Central" Raleigh aka the older parts inside the beltline. Almost every area outside the beltline has low to no crime at all. Get your facts straight, before bashing a whole quadrant of town. Southeast Raleigh is the third fastest growing district in Raleigh.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:16 PM

546 posts, read 2,147,462 times
Default I don't know what you smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I smell a Charlotte-ite.

Anyway, from those comments this guy sounds like he hasn't been here since the late 90's.

NO DOWNTOWN? Well i wonder why downtown Raleigh's Glenwood South district was mentioned in the New York Times as a happening spot, or why their are numerous condo buildings being erected all over DT's 110 blocks of land area? Take that garbage elsewhere.

Southeast Raleigh is clean and experiencing robust growth, with a dwindling crime rate. Why would you think there are so many middle to high income neighborhoods being built? The only parts that have considerable crime is Southeast "Central" Raleigh aka the older parts inside the beltline. Almost every area outside the beltline has low to no crime at all. Get your facts straight, before bashing a whole quadrant of town. Southeast Raleigh is the third fastest growing district in Raleigh.
Don't be so sensitive about raleigh. It's not a negative thing that raleigh is slower city built for families. And construction is underway downtown...erected as you say...that's up and coming. I never said anything negative about raleigh, just certain areas to avoid in my opinion. Like I said my two cents.

You're gonna tell me about crime and where it's at...that's a laugh.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:32 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,081 times
Quote:
Don't be so sensitive about raleigh. It's not a negative thing that raleigh is slower city built for families. And construction is underway downtown...erected as you say...that's up and coming. I never said anything negative about raleigh, just certain areas to avoid in my opinion. Like I said my two cents.

You're gonna tell me about crime and where it's at...that's a laugh.
I'm siding with the cop!

Old 11-07-2007, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,763 times
Default Raleigh

I live in southeast Raleigh, inside the beltline, exactly where the cop said not to move and I LOVE my neighborhood! It is a wonderful mix of black, white, straight, gay, young and old. If you want to move to white bread central, move to north raleigh. Lots of blonde hair wives with their 2.2 kids driving mini vans. Nice enough, but not my style. If you like a slice of real america move to SE raleigh. The houses are still somewhat affordable inside the beltline. The lots are large and the houses are unique, you won't see the same house two doors down. We bought ours a few years ago and it has now appraised for almost double the value. This is the up and coming area and such a convenient location. Downtown Raleigh is already happening if you like night life and restaurants. That police officer must just ride around North Raleigh all day. No offense officer!

Old 11-08-2007, 06:02 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times
305guy still didn't tell us when he lived in Raleigh, but I'm guessing it was prior to all the new development downtown. I saw that he made some "Raleigh is boring" comments on the Miami forum saying that "even the college kids don't know where to party". I guess he hasn't been to Glenwood South lately methinks. I don't know for sure, but perhaps this is the case.

As for MarinaS, yes you can get an apartment with a fireplace. You could probably get a 2br w/ fireplace for $700, but it may not be the nicest place around. You might be able to find houses or duplexes as well, but I'd expect rent to be higher for a nicer 2br w/ working fireplace. Many apartment complexes have deals on security deposits if you have good credit, work for the government, etc. so you would have to ask to see what they offer. Some companies have pre-arranged deals with complexes for their employees.

Search the forum for school information, there are tons of discussions about schools. People here complain about overcrowding and how messed up the school system is here, but I know for a fact that it's leaps and bounds better than, say, the Miami-Dade public school system of which I am a product.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:43 PM

74 posts, read 100,697 times
Downtown Raleigh is a mayberry...where are all the Upscale restaurants...where are all the Upscale Hotels...where are all the Upscale High Rise Residential Towers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary