Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:46 PM

74 posts, read 203,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
For me, 29 is the only reliable way south from the DC area without getting mired in standstill traffic. I pretty much avoid 95 unless I'm leaving at 11 pm at night.
Are you talking about 29 in Maryland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
I second MMEMK's suggestion. Get on 50East for about 10 minutes and you will see signs for 301 S Richmond. You will hit some traffic lights and shops for about 10 miles, then it clears up and is smooth sailing all they way down. Very pleasant drive.
Oh - yup - completely true.... cross that bridge pay like 1.50 and SMOOTH SAILING all the way...

Or if you are in DC take Penn AVE into SE, make a right on Branch Avenue/Rt.5 take 5 to 301 S.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:05 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,893,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Oh you are right, one can not really predict that well when it comes to traffic around DC, but I was just generally speaking. Any kind of accident on 95 can back up traffic for 50 miles (no kidding). If you think the Triangle has problems with traffic (and we do), NoVA is a mess most of the time and it's built up and spread out, so public transportation around NoVA really doesn't work well (like here). The Metro does get TONS of use going in and out of DC, however it's just overloaded. Did you know that they are in the process expanding the metro line through Tysons Corner and out to Dulles, but they only have one tunnel that runs under the Potomac River so only one train can pass at a time. Boy that was pretty poor planning.
What I find incredible and you know what I am talking about is that he rush hour traffice now extends beyond Fredericksburg. I remember when that was the sticks and the traffic stopped well before than. Housing there has skyrocketed and soon Richmond rush hour will merge with DC.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:28 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,184,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBoop108 View Post
I live on the eastern side of Cary, near the SW Maynard and Kildaire Farm Road intersection. So, would 64 to 95 make most sense?
No. Take Harrison to 40W to 540E to 70N to 85 to 95.

DC: blech. I swear about the only time there isn't major traffic is about 1 AM - 6 AM.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:30 AM

249 posts, read 689,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
No. Take Harrison to 40W to 540E to 70N to 85 to 95.

DC: blech. I swear about the only time there isn't major traffic is about 1 AM - 6 AM.
We prefer taking 64E to 95N. We live in Holly Springs now. I did try taking 70N and I enjoyed the drive, but nothing beats driving 75 mph the whole way. There is never any traffic on 64E or 95N. We just drove up last night for a wedding and left at 6pm.

As far as coming home on Sunday, that is always a crapshoot. We almost always hit traffic in NOVA heading south on Sundays. For the first time in a long time, we actually made it through easily 2 weeks ago. We left DC at around 12pm that day.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanvald View Post
We prefer taking 64E to 95N. We live in Holly Springs now. I did try taking 70N and I enjoyed the drive, but nothing beats driving 75 mph the whole way. There is never any traffic on 64E or 95N. We just drove up last night for a wedding and left at 6pm.

As far as coming home on Sunday, that is always a crapshoot. We almost always hit traffic in NOVA heading south on Sundays. For the first time in a long time, we actually made it through easily 2 weeks ago. We left DC at around 12pm that day.
Driving 75 all the way sounds great - I may check out that way next time I go home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary