Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,797 times

Advertisements

Looking to move up to NC from..you guessed it FL, we were wondering which town is an all around better town, Creedmoor or Stem? Schools,Crime rate ect...My wife and I am in our thirties and have been floridiots most of our lives and now feel it is time to move on and up north. I greatly appreciate ANY feedback. My mother lives in Creedmoor and loves it. But I would like some input from some of you who have resided in the state longer then 3 months. Thanks Alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,265 times
Default Re: Creedmoor or Stem

I have lived in Stem my entire life and it is a very peaceful place. I have always loved the open air and country. Creedmoor is much bigger and in fact Stem only contains about 4 buildings besides the post office, fire station, and private residences.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:48 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce65 View Post
Looking to move up to NC from..you guessed it FL, we were wondering which town is an all around better town, Creedmoor or Stem? Schools,Crime rate ect...My wife and I am in our thirties and have been floridiots most of our lives and now feel it is time to move on and up north. I greatly appreciate ANY feedback. My mother lives in Creedmoor and loves it. But I would like some input from some of you who have resided in the state longer then 3 months. Thanks Alot.
There isn't much difference...as there is nothing in Stem and you have to go into Creedmoor or Oxford for anything. Also both towns feed into the same schools. Which, while not the worst, aren't school's I would want my child in. (I work in Butner and see what my co-workers deal with in the schools.)

Old 04-14-2007, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,225 times
I've lived in Stem and Creedmoor for most of my life, i'm now in Greensboro at UNCG. Stem is small but growing, a new school is being built on Sanders rd. Creedmoor is closer to Raleigh, but Stem is closer to Oxford. If you want a less populated quieter place then I'd recommend Stem. You have to drive at least 15 minutes to get anywhere but it's about the same with Creedmoor. The schools aren't that bad either. I went to Creedmoor Elementary, Butner Stem Middle and South Granville High. Crime really isn't a problem in either town. Although Stem is a speed trap for highway patrolmen (since it's off of highway 75)

Old 04-14-2007, 06:29 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,532 times
hey Sarahblack. I have lived in the area for 10 years now, and have never had a problem with the locals, crime, or the area at all. I actuallty live in Southern Granville County in Franklinton. But frequent both areas.
The area of Creedmoor and Stem (and yes when they say Stem is small, it is small) but is growing. To put it in perspective Creedmoor has more growth than Stem. But we are not talking Wake Forest or Cary growth. Just a nice pace.
I have lived in the area for 10 years and never have had a problem with the locals being unfriendly towards newcomers, the crime is extremely low unless you count rogue possum chases housewife (only joking), and the schools are very aware of the growth and are preparing with 4 new schools being built and have surveyed the parents to get involved with the planning from a new supervisor to the school curriculum. Basically the same that most schools with high growth have gone thru already.
I am not sure what the tax difference is between the two towns.
So there is a little of my input.

Last edited by autumngal; 02-25-2008 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-13-2007, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,135 times
Default Stem

My daughter has lived in Stem with her husband and 2 kids since 1998. She graduated from her Masters program and moved to NC from NY to teach. She and her husband -to -be chose Stem and they love it. We have visited many times, most recently at the end of June, and though there is much home building going on in the area it still seems very rural, but close to many things. Rte. 85 is 10 minutes a way, Durham is 20-25, and Raleigh and the Research Traingle and all it has to offer is about 45. I love the area and if we ever retire South to NC, Stem is top of the list. I do think it will change significatly in the next 10 years with building exploding and Durham commutors moving out that way. It is a close knit community and everyone knows everyone else. Not all people like that, but my daughter was raised in a small rural town in Upstate NY where that was also the case.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,027 times
I moved from NH to Stem in 2005. I lived in a small neighborhood with only 15 homes. It was nice and quiet, peaceful. Also a nice area for kids. Unfortunately, I lost my job there in August of this year and moved back to NH to be with family and friends. I do have a house on the market in Stem. It is only 3 years old. It is located on Abbey Rd. Creedmoor is nice but it is growing way too fast and not as close to 85 as Stem is. My understanding is that they are putting in a Wal-Mart right off 85 exit 191.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:03 PM

600 posts, read 3,448,895 times
You have now heard from all 9 people who live in Stem.

I lived in Creedmoor for a few years, and found it peaceful and laid back. I also have friends who live in Stem (20 year residents) and they love it. Stem is not much in the way of a town. It's more like an area in which you live, but you DO everything somewhere else.

Streamer1212

Old 02-25-2008, 12:59 PM

10 posts, read 38,466 times
Default school district in Stem

Hi,

I was wondering about the schools for Stem, particularly Butner-Stem Elementary? Anyone have any positive or negative comments about it? I don't buy into the whole "Wake County schools are the only ones worth sending your kids to" philosophy, but I do know that some Granville County and Franklin County schools have issues. We know that Wilton elementary is an excellent school, but all the property we are finding that we like is in the Stem area.

Thanks.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:25 PM

12 posts, read 86,400 times
Default Very happy with Butner-Stem Elementary

Just moved to Granville County from an excellent school district in Montgomery Co MD, and have been pleased with the schools. We were all set to move to Apex/Cary last spring, but then we spoke with someone from Wake Co School Dist, and, to their credit, they were very upfront with us in letting us know that our kids most likely would have to switch schools at least once over the next several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary