Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:28 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
$7.50 an hour to rent a car? If they would rent a pickup I would be all over that. But a normal car? I pay $20/month for insurance and $4 a month to register my car...so for 4 hours use I break even. Not sure why people would bother renting them.
You got the car for free and have free gas too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 AM

181 posts, read 387,164 times
Quote:
$7.50 an hour to rent a car? If they would rent a pickup I would be all over that. But a normal car? I pay $20/month for insurance and $4 a month to register my car...so for 4 hours use I break even. Not sure why people would bother renting them.

I've seen the bike rental places in DC and honestly they are mostly never used. I would not support any local tax dollars going into these sort of programs.

Just checked the zipcar site - no pickups available in Raleigh.
You are not factoring in car payments or maintenance. Also if you live in dtwn there may be monthly parking fees for your personal vehicle that you would not be responsible for in addition to gas.

Also, the City or Raleigh site states that Zipcar is coming soon, so there will not be any pickups available in Raleigh at the moment.

Last edited by dio108; 02-19-2013 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: misspell

Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Uhhhhh, $69/day? Why would anyone do this? I can call a rental car company and they'll bring the car to me for $20/day.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:46 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Uhhhhh, $69/day? Why would anyone do this? I can call a rental car company and they'll bring the car to me for $20/day.
Would be interested in hearing about these $20 one-day rentals...does that include your gas and insurance too?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:44 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,142,535 times
an example: Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Rental Cars at Everyday Low Rates

Note this is a sale price until may 2013 but places like price line etc etc if you rent often you can bid for rentals cheaply..it doesnt include gas, usually restricted miles, their insurance is additional and the selection can be limited sometimes.

they have them, you just learn how to shop for them

Most students do the car a day thing because they dont have exsisting car insurance, and might only use it as a temp fix for select occasions. I know in my hometown which is a big college town. Mommie and Daddie would set up prpaid Zip Card account for their precious offspring and make sure the had transportation on campus( remember first years usually cant have them) rental car companies dont usually make it that convient for mom and dad to do so.

Using the gas card located in the Zipcar, you can fill up your Zipcar with free fuel at any gas station. No more pain at the pump. Rentals don't..it is out of your pocket.

insurance is included as a part of the rental rate ..rentals you have to have your own as well as their insurances

theres various reasons why people choose car shares.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:02 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
I have been a Zipcar member for 2 years here in Atlanta. In fact, I used a car earlier today for 1 hour. There are advantages and drawbacks.

Advantages:
1) I enjoy walking here in Midtown Atlanta. Living in NYC for 10 years showed me how great life is as a pedestrian. No waiting for what adds up to hours per week of your week sitting at traffic lights. I no longer have the patience for it, and walking is so much less stressful.

2) When I need a car, Zipcar has 2-3 vehicles on every block in my neighborhood. With a smartphone app I reserve any of them as I walk up to them with no advance notice. Here the prices are higher, $10 minimum per hour on the weekdays, nicer cars $12-14. I can even drive a BMW 3 series for $14 per hour. They jack up the prices on the weekends by about $2 per hour.

3) Gas is included as well as insurance. So with $5 gas looming on the horizon, running errands at $11 per hour with the gas included isn't a bad deal.

4) It's fun to drive many different models of cars.

5) If you think renting cars through Hertz, etc. is always a good deal, you're mistaken. Their rates change daily, and sometimes they're as high as $120 per day near holiday weekends, even though thousands of cars will go unrented on their lots.

Disadvantages:
1) It's hard to relax while shopping, running errands when you're paying in 1/2 hour increments. And you're not credited if you return the vehicle sooner than you had reserved it. It takes proper planning to reserve the right amount of time that you need. You can extend your time as long as someone else hasn't reserved the car after you.

2) If you're 1 minute late returning the vehicle there is a $50 penalty.

3) I get tired of adjusting the mirrors, seat and radio station presets over and over.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:23 PM

42 posts, read 94,910 times
I don't know how it is in Raleigh, but most rental places like enterprise require you to have a Credit Card (not a debit card, a real credit card), and be over the age of 21 to rent a car, and if you're under 25 the prices are higher. I can see how zipcar will certainly be more convenient to college students than trying to rent a car. This isn't for planned excursions, this is for, trips to the grocery store or the mall, or if you live in Raleigh, but need to get to Durham for something and can't arrange for a ride.

Personally, I have a car, and Raleigh appears to be rather car-centric, so not sure its even necessary here at the moment. This sort of service is great in larger/walkable metros like Boston, where it can be next to impossible, or at the very least reeeeaallly expensive to own a car in the central part of the city.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
You got the car for free and have free gas too?
My wife's we paid $4k for 6 years ago and sold it 6 years later for $3400 So $100/yr in depreciation, practically free in my book. Mine was gifted to me from my parents 9 years ago, still have it. My prior two cars I paid in cash however and sold for more than I paid for them.

I guess this makes sense for someone wanting a brand new car a couple hours a month for an errand or two, living in the city. Like I said though I DO NOT support local tax dollars for this program whatsoever.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dio108 View Post
You are not factoring in car payments or maintenance. Also if you live in dtwn there may be monthly parking fees for your personal vehicle that you would not be responsible for in addition to gas.

Also, the City or Raleigh site states that Zipcar is coming soon, so there will not be any pickups available in Raleigh at the moment.
Well I've never had a car payment and do all my own mx including swapping out a transmission a couple months ago. Before you jump on that, the tranny was free. I bought a car w/ bad motor, took all the good stuff off, sold the carcass and some components, and ended up with a brand new radiator, good transmission, sunroof, and several other items for free...

Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 AM

181 posts, read 387,164 times
Quote:
Well I've never had a car payment and do all my own mx including swapping out a transmission a couple months ago. Before you jump on that, the tranny was free. I bought a car w/ bad motor, took all the good stuff off, sold the carcass and some components, and ended up with a brand new radiator, good transmission, sunroof, and several other items for free...
Not trying to be snarky, rude or anything, but you would have to agree that you are fortunate to:
1) Have had a car(s) and major parts gifted to you
2) Have the time and expertise to do the repairs yourself
3) Have the space to do the repairs yourself

You and people with a similiar skill set (mechanically inclined) would not be the demographic a company like Zipcar is aiming for. They are looking for people in areas of denser populations like downtowns and college campuses that need a car for a relativly short period without a great deal of pre-planning.

Of course it's not for everyone but there is a market for it, whether or not it's the right time for Raleigh is something that time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary