Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,829,403 times

Advertisements

yup, I agree....I got the same feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,189,719 times
Well, he did say he sold his house...seems to me that is quite telling!

Vicki

Old 02-20-2013, 04:44 PM

40 posts, read 83,678 times
We did sell our house first and foremost because the lot and neighborhood were not right for us. It was a nice new custom parade home when we bought it but it was just not the right lot once we had kids. We always thought we wanted to move back to Colorado but before selling we weren't so sure. Selling gave us the option to go if we wanted.

My wife and I are fortunate enough to be able to live in either location with our jobs. So not giving up income, we have family in both places. It sure could be a lot worse...

Anyway, I wanted to hear from folks who had recently made the transition with kids in either direction. I'm curious as to reasons, schools, etc. It was more for my own gratification to see if there was anything we hadn't thought of or were aware of.

The responses have been great. It amazes me though to think because I want to do a lot with my kids (and we don't want to be bored either) that people see it as a need to "entertain" them constantly and a negative thing.

Raleigh is nice and it has grown on us. So not so sure we want to leave now...

For anyone following this thread some great spots we've found over the last few years:
Willow Winds resort in Asheville
John Rutledge house in Charleston (b&b)
Emerald Isle - great big and easy beach for the kids - rent a house right there on the beach
Kill Devil Hills in the OBX
Marbles
Durham museum of nature and science
The local YMCAs
Museum of Natural Sciences Raleigh
Ringling Bros Circus when in town
First Night Raleigh
Umstead hiking
Planetarium in CH
The Little Gym for kids
Some good playgrounds (I was expecting more of kids together in Cary though after reading about it)
Hill Ridge Farms fall festival and Christmas festival

still need to go to tweetsie railroad and a few more things in the mountains...

Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,721 times
I was born and raised on the east coast, moved to Denver in 2011 and lived there for a year. When I left, I moved back to the east coast. Now, I'm making plans to go back to Denver. I have met the most amazing people. I have made the most wonderful life-long friends. So much to do. So clean in Denver. And the everyday pace is what attracted me most. The people truly take in the whole day and are generally very happy people. They were welcoming and sincere. They are into health, fitness and wellness. I miss Denver terribly and I'm going back. It has Everything to offer from cafes, museums, bars, clubs, restaurants, shopping, biking, hiking...and the weather is beautiful. I read somewhere that Denver has 323 sunny days out of the year. Need say more!? :-)

Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,950,099 times
One of the things I really like about Denver is the transportation infrastructure, especially the buses that run downtown. That's something that Raleigh is woefully behind with, although the area has been growing like a weed for several years now. Not sure why places like Denver and Portland can do it and we can't.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:14 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,599,834 times
This discussion really makes me wish I'd lived in more places! Born/raised in NY State, 20+ years in DC, 7 years in Raleigh. There's a whole lot of country I missed out on - particularly to the west!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:25 PM

89 posts, read 135,512 times
This may not mean much, but when I was a kid, we lived in a very small town. There were no beaches, mountains, amusement parks, water parks, museums. There was nothing. As a kid, we hit the muni pool 5 days per week in the summer, in the fall/spring, we played softball, kickball, played army, rode bikes, went to the local HS football field and played football, basketball at the courts, climbed the coaching tower, practiced field goals through the goal posts, hopped on slow moving freight train cars on the rr track (folks would have killed me if they knew I did that) Went downtown on bikes to the skating rink, dime store. In winter, if cold, ice skated on the local pond, rode sleds, built snowmen, etc. We used to climb the "cliffs" near the radio tower, crawl across the underside of the city bridge across the river, catch snakes, fish for catfish, went to school mates birthday parties, played spin the bottle.....I could go on and on.......and none of this involved our parents - we as kids in the neighborhood did all this stuff.

In other words, although a few trips to places here and there are nice, or a vacation, it's not your job as parent to be the provider of all entertainment for your children. You are not their social director. Let the kids have fun with other kids in the neighborhood and they will be happy - whether you live in Denver or Raleigh makes no difference.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:51 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,175,138 times
I agree westvirginia. I guess I was really "deprived" growing up - I grew up in Durham - and we didn't have HALF of the stuff back then the OP says has gotten "boring" (i.e. Marbles, and while we had Life and Science, it was really bare-bones back then). But I still have fond memories, still had fun doing things like going to "regular" parks, libraries, riding my bike and just playing in the cul-de-sac with other kids in the neighborhood. I think it made the "big" vacations we'd take once a year more exciting and memorable. But then again, maybe it's like adlnc07 said - I've never really left the state, so I guess I have no idea what I'm missing.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:26 PM

725 posts, read 1,497,733 times
With all of the people moving to Colorado in the past decade it may not be the same place anymore. These SW states are not designed to hold the amount of people that have moved there. Places like Arizona and Colorado really need to work on a sustainable plan for water to keep up with the growth they've had.

Here's an active thread -

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...water-113.html

Old 02-23-2013, 03:20 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,739,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westvirginiafan1 View Post
This may not mean much, but when I was a kid, we lived in a very small town. There were no beaches, mountains, amusement parks, water parks, museums. There was nothing. As a kid, we hit the muni pool 5 days per week in the summer, in the fall/spring, we played softball, kickball, played army, rode bikes, went to the local HS football field and played football, basketball at the courts, climbed the coaching tower, practiced field goals through the goal posts, hopped on slow moving freight train cars on the rr track (folks would have killed me if they knew I did that) Went downtown on bikes to the skating rink, dime store. In winter, if cold, ice skated on the local pond, rode sleds, built snowmen, etc. We used to climb the "cliffs" near the radio tower, crawl across the underside of the city bridge across the river, catch snakes, fish for catfish, went to school mates birthday parties, played spin the bottle.....I could go on and on.......and none of this involved our parents - we as kids in the neighborhood did all this stuff.

In other words, although a few trips to places here and there are nice, or a vacation, it's not your job as parent to be the provider of all entertainment for your children. You are not their social director. Let the kids have fun with other kids in the neighborhood and they will be happy - whether you live in Denver or Raleigh makes no difference.
While I agree with you to a point, there were a whole lot of other things we didn't have as kids that are available nowadays - IPods, computers, cell phones, year-round soccer, foreign language immersion programs, cheap flights, etc. Times change.

Children are more sophisticated and grow up earlier. Sports and academics are more competitive, and children expect more for entertainment. They learn to read in kindergarten. There are dozens of AP offerings in high schools. Kids watch movies in their hand and call friends "face to face" across the country. They play in travel sports leagues and have backyard playsets rivaling those in playgrounds. They take language classes and go to science camps.

I'm not saying that today's kids are better off than those from simpler times. Or that they shouldn't still be unscheduled kids who play baseball in the back yard, ride bikes on their street, fish in the creek and swim in the lake, and just hang out, but how kids spend their free time has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary