Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM

181 posts, read 387,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
For Heaven's sake, you need to come and visit it before even thinking about uprooting and moving to a whole new culture. It might work, but it might not--only you can say, based on the 'feel' you get from the area.

I would suggest that if you do move, living in Garner or the south part of Raleigh, if all of your territory is South. Or at least near I-40 which will soon become your 'best buddy' with all of that driving. Not Northwest Raleigh which is the big booming area. You'll also be nearer to downtown, which is good for the "single and 40" aspect. Cary, Apex and other towns in western Wake are very suburban, family-oriented places, not so hot for singles.
^^^^ . Take a visit first to get a "first impression". You mentioned the company was pretty big and that this was an entry level type position. If in two years or so you didn't like the area could you transfer to another territory?

If that's the case it could be a win win for you. You get to live in a different area for a while to try it out; if you like it great. Stay and put down roots, if not you have options without being "trapped" in an area you're not in love with.

Also, everyone will have different experiences and I am married but none of my single friends complain about the lack of things to do in the area. Like someone said already this is not NY, LA, Chicago, etc... but a good time can be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 11:01 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
That sounds like a poor excuse. Sure the population of San Diego and of course LA is much larger than the Triangle but you could go out to something new 7 days a week in this area (speaking as someone who moved from a top 5 city population wise). Concerts, food, art shows, lectures, craft beer scene, hiking, boating, college sports, culture based meet ups.... Sounds like they were not trying.
They were big "smooth jazz lovers" and their biggest complaint here was the scene here as far as the meetups, concerts, etc were severely lacking. I have posted a link to Harvelle's in Santa Monica...Sorry but Raleigh has nothing like this place.

[SIZE=3]http://youtu.be/jw2D-O9cJic[/SIZE]

Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 PM

5 posts, read 5,928 times
I thank you all for your words, I think I am going to take a leap of faith and give it a shot. It is a large company and I could relocate if I do well. I am worried about being accepted by good ole boys but I'll just have to charm them like I have everywhere else I have been. I'm not really selling though more like training them to sell my companies product as oppossed to other so I think I will be fine. Now.....where the heck should I apartment hunt? As for visiting there is simply no time. Is downtown a good place to live in Raleigh?

Old 02-22-2013, 12:23 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisshort13 View Post
I thank you all for your words, I think I am going to take a leap of faith and give it a shot. It is a large company and I could relocate if I do well. I am worried about being accepted by good ole boys but I'll just have to charm them like I have everywhere else I have been. I'm not really selling though more like training them to sell my companies product as oppossed to other so I think I will be fine. Now.....where the heck should I apartment hunt? As for visiting there is simply no time. Is downtown a good place to live in Raleigh?
Many good places to live downtown Raleigh, although it can be pricey.
You will want to watch your budget, though, until you establish your costs of doing business travel are clear and you know your take home.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:37 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisshort13 View Post
All righty then!

Though I suspect since you applied for and got this job, you were ready to make a jump.

Even though you don't have time to come visit, I would strongly urge you to do a monthly rental until you get a feel for the area. Downtown Raleigh may be your cup of tea. But then again, it might not be. Take a bit of time to look around.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:18 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,865 times
I agree with the PP who said to look at accommodation in Garner. It''ll be convenient with your territory to be able to hop on 95 without too much hassle. The White Oak apartment complex is nice (right off Route 70) and you can walk to stores, bars etc...
Good luck with your move! I think you'll find it a positive one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary