Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 AM

80 posts, read 145,856 times

Advertisements

I need to fix a large picture window (one of the 1.5 story windows so common in houses built in the 90s). It's cloudy but otherwise is performing perfectly - I assume it was compromised when I had a sill that had water damage replaced.

I'm getting ready to sell my home and know it will come up in an inspection report. The two estimates I've gotten are around $750 - that's a big chunk of what the house is worth and I won't get it back upon the sale of the house. Any suggestions on how to get this fixed and/or find a more economical source for replacement?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:23 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfx216 View Post
I need to fix a large picture window (one of the 1.5 story windows so common in houses built in the 90s). It's cloudy but otherwise is performing perfectly - I assume it was compromised when I had a sill that had water damage replaced.

I'm getting ready to sell my home and know it will come up in an inspection report. The two estimates I've gotten are around $750 - that's a big chunk of what the house is worth and I won't get it back upon the sale of the house. Any suggestions on how to get this fixed and/or find a more economical source for replacement?

Thanks!
What do the estimates include?

Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,561,845 times
I used to have a name of a company and might still somewhere that repairs. It might not always be necessary to replace the whole window, so do your homework. Read this article. Failed Window Seal - How to Fix a Failed Window Seal

Old 02-25-2013, 12:39 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I recently had a seller who had to repair quite a few windows.

I gave him names of companies that will REPAIR the broken seal instead of replacing the entire window. There are some windows that cannot be repaired and in that case, they may be able to replace the glass instead of the entire window. The company gives a 10 year warranty.

Vicki

Old 02-25-2013, 02:26 PM

46 posts, read 91,162 times
Moisture removal experts. Window repair (for Raleigh NC) (or replacement of) foggy, cloudy, Insulated glass, thermal pane, Dual Windows, Double Pane windows

I had the same issue several years ago. I got three estimates to replace the window and one to "defog" it. They were uncertain if the "fogging" removal process would work since the window had the problem for years. The process works better if done very soon after the seal is broken because of build up inside the window. I ended up taking the cheapest quote for replacement instead. The quotes varied tremendously!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 AM

214 posts, read 695,002 times
Depends on what kind of window.

If it is a double pane vinyl window you can easily pry the vinyl trim around the inner pane with a flat head screwdriver, pull the inner pane off, scrape the glass with a razor blade glass scraper, and pop the trim back on by holding a block of 2x4 agains the trim and tapping with a rubber mallet. This process takes about 20 minutes on a regular window, but it will be more tricky because its a large window. Just be careful when pounding the frame that you are not bending the glass, do not strike the frame or glass directly, have a couple of helpers to keep the glass from falling, and make sure everyone is wearing goggles the whole time.

If its a wood framed window, it may be easy, hard or impossible. Google the manufacturer and model and pane replacement and you should find something.

Also, check out the warranty. Some manufacturers have really long warranties for the original owners. I had an MI Window with a 20 year original owner warranty that shatter after 11 years. MI sent out a new window in one day at no charge.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisstheSea View Post
Moisture removal experts. Window repair (for Raleigh NC) (or replacement of) foggy, cloudy, Insulated glass, thermal pane, Dual Windows, Double Pane windows

I had the same issue several years ago. I got three estimates to replace the window and one to "defog" it. They were uncertain if the "fogging" removal process would work since the window had the problem for years. The process works better if done very soon after the seal is broken because of build up inside the window. I ended up taking the cheapest quote for replacement instead. The quotes varied tremendously!
We used Window-Wise last fall to replace about 20 window glazing packages.
I thought the price was very fair.

One large one will be more, of course.

You may have to replace the glazing package. You may not be able to use the dessicant, since it may be corrosive to the metal separator between the panes, or to the mullions if they are aluminum.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
If I were you and I were going to put my house on the market, I'd go ahead and get the windows repaired.

I say that because I had a listing in which we knew there were quite a few windows with broken seals. Seller and I discussed going ahead and getting them repaired but we had 3 offers in 3 days so we simply didn't get it done.

Buyer had an inspection and almost walked due to the windows, even though we explained we had every intention of getting them repaired. Originally, buyer wanted all new windows. We didn't agree. We got estimates and agreed to give buyer the funds for REPAIR and if he wants to REPLACE, he can add to the funds. However, it was a few days of concern of if the buyer was going to continue with the sale or move on.

One day, I hope we get to the point of having a home inspection BEFORE we put the house on the market, seller doing the repairs and then show all documentation to buyer. Buyer can still opt to get inspections (kinda like bank owned properties give you 10 days to get all inspections done but SAY they won't do repairs. I find they WILL be that is another story).

Getting those windows repaired BEFORE you put the house on the market means that is one less thing that a nervous nellie buyer will worry about!

Vicki

Vicki

Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 AM

46 posts, read 91,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisstheSea View Post

Oops! I should have clarified that I ended up replacing the glass pane in the window. Not the whole window itself.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Vicki is spot on. BTW she's referring to me here. PM me and I will send you the name of the company and how much you can get them to fix the window for. Whatever their initial quote is, you can also talk them down if you have 14 windows to fix like I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary