Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:26 PM

460 posts, read 1,015,929 times

Advertisements

So the whole "you can get better bang for your buck a little further out" doesn't ring true for the Raleigh area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 03:50 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,082,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Don't bother with traffic. Live near SAS.

There's my advice. It's solid, I assure you. Too many great houses less than 10 miles from SAS campus to be moving all over the place.

Advantage: near airport, near I-40, near RTP. Trust.
This is good advice. If it's cul de sac living that you seek and your job is in Cary, then look in Cary. The town is built on the model you describe. To get a quarter acre in your price range, you'll probably be looking at older neighborhoods nearer the center of Cary.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 723 times
Durham has a lot more crime than Raleigh. We lived near Raleigh for 2 years when my husband was transferred from the Dallas area and they were just building new schools in the area we moved into and it was an area with the cul-de-sacs and large yards. I'm trying to remember the name of the area and I believe it was close to Stonehenge and the schools started with an L. I know that doesn't help you and I'm trying to find the name of the place. One nice thing about the schools was that the elementary, middle school and high school were connected together with inside walk ways leading to the next school. We loved it there! Sorry I can't remember the name but I'll figure it out!

Good Luck!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:10 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,082,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkral2011 View Post
Durham has a lot more crime than Raleigh. We lived near Raleigh for 2 years when my husband was transferred from the Dallas area and they were just building new schools in the area we moved into and it was an area with the cul-de-sacs and large yards. I'm trying to remember the name of the area and I believe it was close to Stonehenge and the schools started with an L. I know that doesn't help you and I'm trying to find the name of the place. One nice thing about the schools was that the elementary, middle school and high school were connected together with inside walk ways leading to the next school. We loved it there! Sorry I can't remember the name but I'll figure it out!

Good Luck!
Leesville????

Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
So the whole "you can get better bang for your buck a little further out" doesn't ring true for the Raleigh area?
From SAS? You'd have to go WAY further out to get what you might be thinking is "more bang for your buck."

Your criteria and price range can be filled close to SAS. Could you get a bigger house by driving 30-40 minutes each way every day? Yep. Would it be LOTS bigger? Nope.

I dunno about you, but I would not waste an hour or more a day driving on any highway to get 300 more square feet and .1 of an acre more land.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,189,719 times
Quote:

Good Luck!
You are talking about North Raleigh and the Leesville Road Schools. Very desirable area.

Vicki

Old 02-27-2013, 05:37 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,189,719 times
Quote:
The closer you are to RTP, the more desirable the area...North Raleigh and Cary, for example, used to be a 20 min. drive to RTP. Now, with traffic, it takes about 30 to 35.

If you leave North Raleigh and head out towards Wake Forest, you will pay less. If you leave Cary and head out towards Apex and Holly Springs, you will pay less.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend and what you can get in the different areas.

It will all make sense once you get here and see what you can get and which location you prefer.

Lots to choose from!

Vicki

Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 PM

523 posts, read 1,324,100 times
Quote:
I have considered Durham, my sister works there. But aren't the schools worse than in the Raleigh area? Or is that a misconception?
Quote:
Durham has a lot more crime than Raleigh.
First, I would agree with previous posters that the OP should live in or close to Cary to have easy access to SAS, if possible. With that said, some areas of south Durham might also offer a reasonable commute. Heck, I commute to SAS from downtown Durham every day, and it's a usually a breeze. I'm not a parent and have no experience with the schools here, but you will find other Durham residents who post here that can offer a strong defense of the schools in the county. I can understand why some would prefer Wake County schools, though.

As far as the comment about crime: that topic has been discussed extensively here on C-D. As a few of us regularly point out, the current levels of crime in Durham are about the same as Raleigh's crime levels were back in 2000 when it was just beginning to win all those "best place to live" award. If the OP were to consider neighborhoods in southern Durham with the characteristics and price point that he/she described, they would be pretty much just as safe as the same kinds of neighborhoods in Wake County.

Welcome to SAS, lasershen! I hope you like it as much as I do.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Sure, you can invest in gasoline and lost time, or in real estate.

Environmentally and economically, I see little benefit to much more than a 5-10 minute drive to SAS.
Your criteria can easily be met within that radius.
Which is more expensive:
  1. A home that is bought for $250,000 and resells years later at $260,000
  2. A home that is bought for $200,000 and resells years later at $210,000, and requires similar taxes as the first home, an extra tank of gas at $40+ weekly, and an extra 3-5 hours in the car each week?
I'll take Door #1, Monte!

You might look at Huntington Woods in Morrisville, too.
Or, Carpenter Village, although lot size may be a challenge.
Note that Morrisville Parkway will have a long-term closure and detour while the RR crossing is reworked to eliminate the at-grade crossing.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,069,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Sure, you can invest in gasoline and lost time, or in real estate.

Environmentally and economically, I see little benefit to much more than a 5-10 minute drive to SAS.
Your criteria can easily be met within that radius.
Which is more expensive:
  1. A home that is bought for $250,000 and resells years later at $260,000
  2. A home that is bought for $200,000 and resells years later at $210,000, and requires similar taxes as the first home, an extra tank of gas at $40+ weekly, and an extra 3-5 hours in the car each week?
I'll take Door #1, Monte!

You might look at Huntington Woods in Morrisville, too.
Or, Carpenter Village, although lot size may be a challenge.
Note that Morrisville Parkway will have a long-term closure and detour while the RR crossing is reworked to eliminate the at-grade crossing.
Mike is right. I worked at SAS for a few years, and it took only about 20 minutes for me to get there from Brentwood, but of you're like most, you'll find it difficult to leave SAS in your lifetime, so you might as well be as close as possible -- in Cary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary