Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:27 PM

85 posts, read 311,576 times

Advertisements

No pun intended....

Hi all. I've read several previous postings to find recommendations for local dog kennels (for overnight boarding). Then I did a bunch of research, made calls, etc.....and so far, I feel like I'm striking out. Paws at Play seems like it's good, but unfortunately, they're booked for Thanksgiving. Drats!

Of the other "highly recommended" kennels, one place only lets the dogs out of their pens twice a day for 15-20 mins each. My 1st question to the woman who answered their telephone...."Where do the dogs spend the other 23+ hours of the day?" Her answer...."In their pen". My 2nd question, "What if your dog's used to going out to pee 5-6 times a day?" Her answer, "The pens are slanted, so if they do have an "accident" (Accident??? Um, if you only let me pee 2 times a day, I'd have an "accident" too, lady....), it will run down the floor to the drain." (I about vomited when I heard her say that.) Of course, they'll happily sell you additional 20-minute "play times"...........NEXT!!!

The second "highly recommended" place was in an industrial office complex. It was clean and the people were friendly, but the inside area looked like a warehouse that was crammed with pens, and the outside areas were TINY gravel pens in the parking lot (that faced another office building). Plus, the workers leave the building at 7:00pm, and the dogs are left alone until 6:30am the next morning. Completely alone for nearly 12 hours. Is this normal??? I'm sure my dogs can't hold it for 12 hours!..........NEXT!!!

I'm very sorry for ranting, but I'm just shocked that this is the best around. Are there no local kennels in a nice, somewhat rural area, with plenty of rooms for the dogs to run.....and that don't lock them in their pens all day??? I don't care what the price tag is. Really. I'd be willing to drive an hour or so, if the place is worth it. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 PM

574 posts, read 1,209,155 times
Have you called Towne & Country in Apex? We bring a cat, so I'm not sure what the doggie digs are like, but it comes highly recommended and it's NICE! Gee, I sure hope that wasn't one of the ones you checked out.

Also, I guess you could look into pet sitters. Then doggie could have his/her usual place/routines at home. I'm sure someone here has a recommendation.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:42 PM

85 posts, read 311,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMarshall View Post
Have you called Towne & Country in Apex? We bring a cat, so I'm not sure what the doggie digs are like, but it comes highly recommended and it's NICE! Gee, I sure hope that wasn't one of the ones you checked out.

Also, I guess you could look into pet sitters. Then doggie could have his/her usual place/routines at home. I'm sure someone here has a recommendation.
I hate to say it, but they're one of the two that I described. I didn't want to mention their name outright. (They're the ones with the sloped floor, for accidents...)

And thank you for the tip on pet setting. We've started looking into that option!!!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:51 PM

574 posts, read 1,209,155 times
Oh . I never had to ask about that since cats pee in a box. I did ask if she could have her snuggle blanket and they were great about it. Didn't even treat me like a fruit loop.

I would definitely go the pet sitting route. If you can find someone that loves them as much as you do, you'll be comfortable leaving for a few days. I think some kennels assume the owners wants someplace where the pets will be safe. And that's it. You'd think there would be one out there that understands they are family and we want safe AND happy!

Good luck!

Old 10-24-2007, 05:46 AM

836 posts, read 3,470,171 times
We ususally use pet sitters, but when in a bind, we have used Armadale in NOrth Raleigh. They have inside/outside pens. Plus they have a vet next door, should there be a problem while you are gone.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:53 AM

321 posts, read 1,577,471 times
Try creature comforts in Durham (Creature Comforts Inn and Cornwallis Road Animal Hospital). We have boarded our dog there twice and she is always happy when we get her back. In fact, it's the first place we have taken her to where her tail wags when we get there! They wil let you go in and look around if you ask them.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:05 AM

166 posts, read 664,154 times
We use White Oak Country Kennel in Garner. I love it. I think you have to pay a little extra for more outside time but you said you don't care what the cost is, and I always think it is very reasonable compared to others. The family lives right next door. It is a rural setting and I think they can take your dog for a romp or a walk. Our dog always comes home smelling good. It is very clean. They play music. Our bedding is always washed when it is returned at the end of the stay (we bring our dog a blanket from home to sleep on.) I really like that the owners live next door. It is usually booked way early though.919-662-3989. 8255 White Oak Rd Garner, NC 27529 ...

Old 10-24-2007, 07:32 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna78 View Post
Try creature comforts in Durham (Creature Comforts Inn and Cornwallis Road Animal Hospital). We have boarded our dog there twice and she is always happy when we get her back. In fact, it's the first place we have taken her to where her tail wags when we get there! They wil let you go in and look around if you ask them.
Good to know - I adore my vet, but not the staff and wouldn't board my dog at my regular vet. Once they forgot to give me medication for the dog and once they gave me expired medication (!).

I may have to board my ancient shih tzu soon for a couple of days so I'll try this place.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:48 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
We take our dogs to Country Gardens Bed & Biscuit in Fuquay. The dogs are allowed to run free in the big fenced area about half the day. They're also reasonably priced. We pay $30 a night for our 2 dogs. Country Gardens Bed and Biscuit

Old 10-24-2007, 07:56 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
I have taken my dog to Armadale Kennels on Strickland Rd. in Raleigh for many years now, and they are great there. I get my dog an indoor/outdoor pen, so she can go out on her own during the day. I do also get her an extra walk, doggy pamper time and extra cookie time on top of all that. The people are really nice there, and there is also a vet on the premises if there is a problem, which makes me feel even better about leaving her.
Armadale Farm Kennel

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary