Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:48 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times

Advertisements

Well I for one, do NOT miss the sports in Colorado. Someone mentioned KBCO, yes how I miss KBCO. The radio here just isn't cutting the mustard for me. I miss Pearl Street and the bike lanes. But while the Rockies are bigger and magestic, the landscape here is beautiful. I'm certainly glad to be here, but I'm so glad I was able to spend so many years in Colorado. I've been feeling a little homesick, but our home is here now, and we feel so lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 07:09 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I tend to disagree with Raleigh being cleaner than Denver. I never found Denver not to be clean, especially for such a large city. I also think some of the litter and stuff that's easy to see in and around Denver is obscured here due to thicker vegetation and trees. I've been alarmed lately at the amount of trash along the freeways in the Triangle, namely on I 540 near Glenwood.
Maybe this summer I hit Denver on a bad couple of days. My previous visit to the mile high city was about 5 years ago. This summer I found the city (not so much the burbs but the urban core) lacking in cleanliness. Much more graffiti in the city and trash on the freeways than my last visit. I was only there for 2 days. And maybe I haven't seen all the road side trash here yet. If I'm off my beaten path here I'm concentrating pretty hard on signs as I still get lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
As for outdoor equipment stores, the situation has improved, especially if you're an REI fan. I beleive with 3 stores, we now have the most REIs per capita in the country: Raleigh - North Hills, Cary - Crossroads & Durham - Southpoint. There are also a few Great Outdoor Provision stores which are a nice and locally-owned alternative to REI, as well as a few smaller stores.
I love REI... got my membership in Portland over 20 years ago. Hmmm interesting thought about the REIs per capita. It could very well be. Might be able to tie this into a new marketing take for them. You should suggest it.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:25 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,720 times
What we miss from Colorado:

Me:
Good libraries
Bookstores on every corner
Major League excitement in sports

Dh:
Good radio Stations
"Proffesionalism" at businesses
Lack of "standard" garages on houses

Old 10-25-2007, 07:44 PM

214 posts, read 663,900 times
I think the Rockies are more majestic, but I think the Smokies are prettier.

I really like Denver, though.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:03 PM
htj

13 posts, read 49,124 times
Both cities are great choices. The traffic in Denver is way worse than the triangle. I-25 is obviously bad, but even the traffic out in Parker on Lincoln has gotten crazy out there. As for the mountains, it depends what you like to do. There is no real skiing in NC's mountains.

Not something you'd often think about, but i really enjoy that you can live within 15 minutes of the RDU airport whereas DIA is out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:29 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htj View Post
Both cities are great choices. The traffic in Denver is way worse than the triangle. I-25 is obviously bad, but even the traffic out in Parker on Lincoln has gotten crazy out there. As for the mountains, it depends what you like to do. There is no real skiing in NC's mountains.

Not something you'd often think about, but i really enjoy that you can live within 15 minutes of the RDU airport whereas DIA is out in the middle of nowhere.
Snow Shoe, WV is about 4-5 hours away with some of the best skiing on the east coast. Easily a weekend trip Obviously it's not going to be as good as many places in CO, but if all you were interested in was skiing then you would never want to leave CO in the first place I'm guessing. Nice beaches being 2-3 hours away will be the big bonus for you. I'm not sure how far you would have to drive from Denver to get to any beach, but I'm guessing it would be about a day a half? Bottom line is that NC will be much different, but if you want a change why not jump at it and see how you like it!

Oh an I'm sorry for quoting the above poster...you're not the one asking the original question...my bad.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:27 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Snow Shoe, WV is about 4-5 hours away with some of the best skiing on the east coast. Easily a weekend trip Obviously it's not going to be as good as many places in CO, but if all you were interested in was skiing then you would never want to leave CO in the first place I'm guessing. Nice beaches being 2-3 hours away will be the big bonus for you. I'm not sure how far you would have to drive from Denver to get to any beach, but I'm guessing it would be about a day a half? Bottom line is that NC will be much different, but if you want a change why not jump at it and see how you like it!

Oh an I'm sorry for quoting the above poster...you're not the one asking the original question...my bad.
Snowshoe isn't worth it. There's a direct flight from RDU to Salt Lake that leaves at 10 am. Comes back at 6 pm from salt lake. In the same time it takes to get to Snowshoe, you are in Salt lake, which is 30 min from the best skiiing in the world. Leave friday morning, ski two and a half days, back at work Monday. Find a $300 ticket, grab a cheap hotel in town and rent a cheap car to get to the slopes and you'll spend half as much, for 10 times better skiing, and less travel time.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:28 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Snowshoe isn't worth it. There's a direct flight from RDU to Salt Lake that leaves at 10 am. Comes back at 6 pm from salt lake. In the same time it takes to get to Snowshoe, you are in Salt lake, which is 30 min from the best skiiing in the world. Leave friday morning, ski two and a half days, back at work Monday. Find a $300 ticket, grab a cheap hotel in town and rent a cheap car to get to the slopes and you'll spend half as much, for 10 times better skiing, and less travel time.
Hey sounds good to me. Too bad I'm not that good of a skier or else I might jump on that.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:40 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
United also has a direct flight to Denver that provides a nice alternative to the SLC direct flight! As much as both of those sound enticing to me...with a family (read...child) and all the extra gear that entails, sometimes its just easier to hop in the car and drive up to Snowshoe. Also, while smaller, Wintergreen in VA has decent skiing and some of the most hi-tech snowmaking in the area. Its also 2 hours closer than Snowshoe.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:40 AM

403 posts, read 930,037 times
mdp_az,

I know you mention Snowshoe--Do you have any experience with the resorts in the NC mountains? I know they do make their own snow and they can get some wintry weather at those elevations--not sure if it's worth it in comparison to VA and Snowshoe.

I was looking at this NC Skiing website--looks pretty cool.

North Carolina Ski Resorts, Ski Resorts in North Carolina, Skiing in North Carolina

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary