Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:38 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,070 times

Advertisements

The deer do not munch on our shrubs. They never have in any of our houses. They graze in our yard on the grass but that is it.

Yesterday we had a snapper turtle trying to cross our street. He apparently came out of our pond and was trying to get to the creek. It took 2 of us to help him across. They are so fast, and snappy,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 10:08 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,165 times
Is deer corn the same as squirrel corn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose.pal View Post
walmart sells deer corn you can put out for them to eat.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:16 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
I haven't seen one lately. I guess I get up too late. One day I went out to get the newspaper early in the morning and one was at the edge of the yard eating something. I love deer.

Autumngal, we had a pet turtle for a long time when our children were small. We have had turtles we got at the nature museum in Charlotte, but this one was picked up along the road by my dh. We fed it hamburger meat.

Any kind of corn should be good since they are very much like cattle. There is a spot on the Blue Ridge Parkway where they come to use the cattle salt lick. I bet if you put a salt lick on your property, they would really come. They love salt licks.

Last edited by NCN; 10-28-2007 at 10:26 PM..

Old 10-29-2007, 07:59 AM

110 posts, read 438,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
Is deer corn the same as squirrel corn?
have no clue! I just saw it in the garden center and thought it was interesting. Probably is all the same thing!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:39 AM

64 posts, read 196,913 times
Default Please don't feed them.

I hate to be a party pooper, but feeding deer is the last thing you want to do. My neighbor did that and we ended up with a herd of deer roaming the neighborhood. Several were hit by cars, and no one had any plants, or small tress left in their yards. They are wild animals, and when you feed them you upset their normal migratory habits. Some will not learn where to shelter during the winter season, and the fawns and subordinate deer will be kept away from the food source by the adults. Feeding them causes aggression in the herd. It also attracts stray dogs which hunt them in packs.

It also makes them used to humans, which makes it easier for hunters to shoot them. They won't run away - they just stand there. When deer congregate like that, they also spread diseases among themselves.

If you love seeing wild animals (and especially deer) like I do, then please don't feed them. You are not doing them a favor.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:04 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,415 times
My youngest has been asking if we can feed the deer but like Debera I don't think it's a good idea. I love seeing them when they choose to come to my yard but the last thing I need is for all the deer in the area to come to my house.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 6,808 times
we live in chapel hill. we have oak trees in the front yard. we just had a family of about 8 munching on snacks in front of our house. they don't seem to like the neighbor's homes as much. i assume it's the oak trees and acorns.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:46 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartny View Post
we live in chapel hill. we have oak trees in the front yard. we just had a family of about 8 munching on snacks in front of our house. they don't seem to like the neighbor's homes as much. i assume it's the oak trees and acorns.

We are in Chapel Hill too and they were eating all of our acorns back in November. I rarely see them now. They must move from neighborhood to neighborhood eating the acorns!

Old 12-16-2007, 02:29 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Ahhhh yes the fog off the bay! One time we were driving over the Richmond bridge and we had to drive with our car door cracked open so we could follow the line on the road to make it over! We are from Mill Valley
I once drove from SF to Sacramento in that ground fog (don't they call it Tule fog, or something like that?) I got behind a big rig and just stayed with him the whole way!

Old 12-22-2007, 01:11 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,355,335 times
I was eating breakfast this morning and lo and behold I spot a doe and her fawn in my backyard. I took a couple of snaps of the fawn through the window. They aren't great, but I thought I would share anyway.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary