Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:39 PM

484 posts, read 1,367,502 times

Advertisements

Your welcome. Check out the Workplacelikehome.com forum too. There are loads of things on there. There are a lot of legitimate companies that hire workers from home. Google or Bing raters ect..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 06:44 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
I am very impressed that you make $20K on eBay. That is phenomenal for a part-time gig! I do eBay part time, too, but don't make anywhere near that. I don't know what kinds of things you are selling, but if you have a steady supply of it, then you should be able to up that dollar amount by working it full-time. Between that and tutoring, you should do well. What hours are you selling on eBay? I find it to be pretty time-consuming, although at least you are still home with the kids.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:44 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Look into teaching at Wake Tech, catering, teaching in a preschool that is over by 1 PM. There are TONS of part time church preschools around here that would probably LOVE to have a teacher!

Last edited by lamishra; 03-03-2013 at 07:01 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
I used to do online ESL tutoring while I was unemployed. Very easy work and you can do it any time of day since students are all over the world. Pay was decent too. If you go to the forums over at Dave's ESL Cafe you can find tons of info on the different companies and which ones are legit. I also know a local company that hires ESL tutors at $25/hour. Most gigs are after school hours but some are during the day. Company name is Southern Bridge.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:14 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Job action. I'm utterly amazed at the CR-AP employees will accept in NC.
What does your union say/do about this?

Something other than teaching. Good luck.
You live in NC and don't realize that it's a right to work state?

I could go on and on about what unions have done to property taxes in NY/NJ but that would be off topic....kinda like the post I quoted.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:25 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
So... how's that working out for everyone?

btw...I'm retired

Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Look into teaching at Wake Tech, catering, teaching in a preschool that is over by 1 PM. There are TONS of part time church preschools around here that would probably LOVE to have a teacher!
I looked into preschools, but it's a different area of certification and some of the jobs were paying 8-9/hour. I looked into teaching at the college/technical level, but all vacancies I found required a doctorate or university teaching experience. I only have a Graduate degree, but I'll keep looking! I would really like to teach something in the area of special education/inclusion to future teachers-something the schools down here seem behind on compared to other places.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

I could go on and on about what unions have done to property taxes in NY/NJ but that would be off topic....kinda like the post I quoted.
I didnt think unions were necessary, but it shouldnt take a union to tell employers that everyone is entitled to a lunch break, or can't be forced to work X many hours after your day is supposed to be up. I dont think it's like that in most professions, but it seems teachers are taken advantage of. I'm not sure why.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I used to do online ESL tutoring while I was unemployed. Very easy work and you can do it any time of day since students are all over the world. Pay was decent too. If you go to the forums over at Dave's ESL Cafe you can find tons of info on the different companies and which ones are legit. I also know a local company that hires ESL tutors at $25/hour. Most gigs are after school hours but some are during the day. Company name is Southern Bridge.
Thanks! If it's online, does that mean it can be done from home?
I'll look into this too-as long as I don't have to be bilingual! In my old district, our ESL teachers didnt have to be. In the school system I work in, it seems they are.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I am very impressed that you make $20K on eBay. That is phenomenal for a part-time gig! I do eBay part time, too, but don't make anywhere near that. I don't know what kinds of things you are selling, but if you have a steady supply of it, then you should be able to up that dollar amount by working it full-time. Between that and tutoring, you should do well. What hours are you selling on eBay? I find it to be pretty time-consuming, although at least you are still home with the kids.
Last year was the first year I sold that much. I even got a tax form I have to file
It is time consuming. I normally did it on school breaks and summer. My DH would take care of the kids during the day, I'd list, he'd go to work, and I'd switch gears. If I was needed or we had something to do, I could list at night when they were in bed. This past year since we were moving, we sold a ton of our household items, collectibles, kids things, etc..I don't really have a steady supply-I would just go to the local yard sales, but it seems here there are less of them and they only go a few hours. In WI, in the summer, they were normally 8-3 thursday-saturday. Here I'm finding 7-10 or 12 only saturday and things are more spread out, so I cant cover as much ground. We drove to two DuD sales saturday-30 miles for the smallest HUGE sales ever! I also went to estate sales-which were heavily advertised in the sunday paper. I dont see any here. Now that I'm in a year round school, I've sold during track out when my kids were in school and a little on the weekends if I can get some early morning time in before the kids are up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary