Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 PM

54 posts, read 108,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkaya View Post
Thanks to all who responded! We're hoping to head down soon to start getting a feel for the different areas. We're starting to meet with listing agents now and are hoping to not lose too much value on our house. I think I will stay here with the kids until they finish school, so we likely won't need to start renting until mid-June or July. It's way too early to start looking for a rental, right?
Try not to stress out too much, finding your place to be is suppose to be fun. And
when you do find it you will just know. I know that sounds sappy or whatever but go
with your gut.

Do not let anyone talk y'all into a house/area you are not in love with, even a rental you
aren't in love with. Y'all have to live there not them. I'm sorry I can't be of more help with
rental questions but others on here can. Happy hunting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 07:05 AM

105 posts, read 362,232 times
SO true listen to your heart and feeling Do not let people sale people tell you what you want .This is that you will have to live with for many years!! Check in to school and yes many changes has and may happen but kids can handles it, Also I not sure of where they all are but we have some great Charter school in the area once you in you do have to change ,the school system rules , Just ideal for you to look in to , Has been a blessing for my girl friends family ,Not matter what the WCPSS does we know they have a spot in a school they love, Be sure to visit the place you pick several time during the week and on the week end if you can many area change over the week end , talk to the people out and about in the area, Good luck !

Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,415 times
Yes, it is too early to look for a home rental...I'm sorry to say the best way to find one of those is to drive around the neighborhood you want to live in and spot a sign.

But you can certainly visit apartments complexes and scope those out. Then when you are ready call the ones you liked to see about vacancies.

There is no shortage of summer camp options. Don't worry about that. If you aren't working yet, you can have Mom camp and explore the area. Visiting every public pool, park and lake will take some time.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:57 AM

251 posts, read 515,184 times
We moved here from Northern VA four years ago. While we were getting our home ready to sell, we rented a home downtown in Oakwood. LOVED that area but we have 3 children and wanted a yard, so we bought a house in Apex. Living downtown helped us get acquainted with the area and to fully immerse ourselves in downtown living. We loved going to the museums and eating in the restaurants downtown. My husband works downtown and loved walking to/from work also. It was nice. I have an 8 year old at a magnet downtown and a 4 year old who has special needs at another school out here and so far, I really haven't had a problem with Wake County Public Schools as a whole. I have been very impressed with both of my sons' schools. I will be glad, however when my 4 year old son and his twin sister are in kindergarten, as I'll finally have all 3 at the same school...lol...the only reason my 4 year old son doesn't go to my older son's school is they don't have a special ed preschool program but if they did, he'd be there. We have LOVED living here so far and plan to be here forever!

Old 03-19-2013, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 895 times
My hubby is also getting a job in the RTP and I am beyond overwhelmed with info on wake county!!! We are leaving our home in central MA, where each town/city goes to THAT school, end of discussion. Are there areas where the chance of reassignment are less likely? I have read that the faster growing areas may have a higher chance of reassignment, not sure if this is true. We have a 5 year old starting kindergarten, and are expecting a baby in July, so will not be moving until August. So beyond overwhelmed!!!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Llaw - a couple of things:

1. We have very good schools, especially elementary schools. At the end of the day, please don't lose sight of that.
2. traditional calendar (regular ) school here starts Monday August 26th, though for your K you could have an orientation the week before and start a couple days after the 26th.
3. I would say that I *hope* they'll have seat charts & availability again this year beginning late June.
4. We're going back to address-based assignment, closer to what you're used to, so there should be more certainty.
5. yes, the slower growth in a given area, the better chance you have to not be reassigned. Find older homes (30+ years old) very close to their assigned school, and you should be much better than average.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llaw130 View Post
My hubby is also getting a job in the RTP and I am beyond overwhelmed with info on wake county!!! We are leaving our home in central MA, where each town/city goes to THAT school, end of discussion. Are there areas where the chance of reassignment are less likely? I have read that the faster growing areas may have a higher chance of reassignment, not sure if this is true. We have a 5 year old starting kindergarten, and are expecting a baby in July, so will not be moving until August. So beyond overwhelmed!!!
If you can, look in Chapel Hill. The district is much smaller and more like those in MA. I grew up in township districts in PA and then lived in a large county district in VA that is similar in size to Wake. It didn't have the assignment issues that Wake has, but you still always had the chance of being redistricted. People who didn't grow up in small districts don't realize how different a large county district is. Of course, you can be redistricted within the CH district, but there is much less variance among schools in most small districts than in large ones. Anyway, food for thought.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:46 AM

195 posts, read 286,075 times
I know someone who works in Downtown Raleigh and lives in Chapel Hill. His commute time is around 45mins -- worse if there's a wreck or it's raining. Yes, definitely choose a place with a good base school. Also take a look at the calendar year option schools as you may wish to consider that as well. People here are also magnet school crazy even for elementary. It's all a wild ride!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 AM

40 posts, read 64,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
4. We're going back to address-based assignment, closer to what you're used to, so there should be more certainty.
Except if your assigned base school happens to be one of the capped schools, right? Then you can't get in and have to go to one of the overflow schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronskrat View Post
I know someone who works in Downtown Raleigh and lives in Chapel Hill. His commute time is around 45mins -- worse if there's a wreck or it's raining. Yes, definitely choose a place with a good base school. Also take a look at the calendar year option schools as you may wish to consider that as well. People here are also magnet school crazy even for elementary. It's all a wild ride!
Wish Chapel Hill were just a wee bit closer. We both went to school in CH and love it, but the commute to downtown Raleigh is just too long for every day given that the hubs will be doing a fair amount of travel as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary