Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:59 AM

13 posts, read 36,148 times

Advertisements

I, my wife and daughter are planning a visit to the Raleigh area. The reason we are visiting is because we are considering a move to the Raleigh area since it seems to be a great place to raise a family. We are coming from NYC and are planning to visit Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill.

Since we are going to stay for just 4 days we would greatly appreciate suggestions of neighborhoods to visit that match the following criteria:

-Young families neighborhood;
-Clean, safe and green (lots of trees) neighborhood;
-Great catholic private school for our daughter;
-Commute to work under 45 minutes in rush hour (office location would be in Cary);
-Ideally within walking distance to shopping and local amenities or town center (or else not more than 5/10 min driving).

Further information:
-House budget: 400K (Single family home, Bright, +3 BR, +2 Bath, +2500 sqr ft, move in ready, garage, back yard, ideally pool)

Thank you so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 12:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Office in Cary?

Move to Cary. Coming here to escape higher prices and crazy traffic might as well be as perfect as possible. Why spend extra time commuting when you could spend it enjoying your new home and your family?

Old 03-04-2013, 12:10 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santnil View Post
I, my wife and daughter are planning a visit to the Raleigh area. The reason we are visiting is because we are considering a move to the Raleigh area since it seems to be a great place to raise a family. We are coming from NYC and are planning to visit Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill.

Since we are going to stay for just 4 days we would greatly appreciate suggestions of neighborhoods to visit that match the following criteria:

-Young families neighborhood;
-Clean, safe and green (lots of trees) neighborhood;
-Great catholic private school for our daughter;
-Commute to work under 45 minutes in rush hour (office location would be in Cary);
-Ideally within walking distance to shopping and local amenities or town center (or else not more than 5/10 min driving).

Further information:
-House budget: 400K (Single family home, Bright, +3 BR, +2 Bath, +2500 sqr ft, move in ready, garage, back yard, ideally pool)

Thank you so much for your help.
Well, the difference between here and Trulia is that you won't get solicited here!

What grade is your daughter in?

And, I agree with Meh. You should consider Cary if the work is in Cary.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Office in Cary?

Move to Cary. Coming here to escape higher prices and crazy traffic might as well be as perfect as possible. Why spend extra time commuting when you could spend it enjoying your new home and your family?
Many thanks for your quick and useful reply:

In addition to being as close to work as it gets, do you know whether Cary meets the rest of the criteria that I listed in my question?
Thanks!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, the difference between here and Trulia is that you won't get solicited here!

What grade is your daughter in?

And, I agree with Meh. You should consider Cary if the work is in Cary.
My daughter just turn three and we are looking for a great private catholic pre-school.
Do you know whether Cary would meet the remainder of the criteria that I listed in my question?

Many thanks for your quick responses.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santnil View Post
Many thanks for your quick and useful reply:

In addition to being as close to work as it gets, do you know whether Cary meets the rest of the criteria that I listed in my question?
Thanks!
Yes. Cary does meet your criteria. This catholic school is close to a couple of neighborhoods in your price range.

St. Michael the Archangel Catholic School

Old 03-05-2013, 05:35 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
You might consider Weatherstone although you'll be close on the $400K. But I know A LOT of people in that neighborhood who go to St. Michael's as the neighborhood abuts the church property. Bonus, if you change your mind and decide on public school, the elementary is right in the neighborhood.

Agree with the others that you should just focus on Cary if that's where you're going to be working. People don't do the "live in Yaphank commute to NYC" for cheaper housing thing here (I'm from L.I. - moved here 2.5 years ago).

If Weatherstone is out of your range there is PLENTY in your price range within 5-10 minutes of St. Michael's that still gives you a good commute. Any place within a 10 minute radius of St. Michael's will easily meet your criteria.

There are 2 other Catholic churches in the area - St. Andrew's and St. Mary Magdalene (which is actually in Apex, but doesn't have a church building, mass is held in the school gym....but I know a lot of people who go to the church and like the parish in general).

Good luck and happy house hunting!

Last edited by twingles; 03-05-2013 at 05:44 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 05:41 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You might consider Weatherstone although I'm not sure you can get in under $400K. But I know A LOT of people in that neighborhood who go to St. Michael's as the neighborhood abuts the church property. Bonus, if you change your mind and decide on public school, the elementary is right in the neighborhood.

Agree with the others that you should just focus on Cary if that's where you're going to be working. People don't do the "live in Yaphank commute to NYC" for cheaper housing thing here (I'm from L.I. - moved here 2.5 years ago).

If Weatherstone is out of your range there is PLENTY in your price range within 5-10 minutes of St. Michael's that still gives you a good commute.

Good luck and happy house hunting!
Weatherstone is doable under $400,000, although updating may be necessary.
There are a couple now.

It is not a huge neighborhood, so selection of homes on the market is usually limited. But, it certainly is a great location, with neighborhood pool and tennis. I like that there are three access points to thoroughfares, rather than just one entrance.

And there are several homes in and around the Cary YMCA that would work, less than a mile to St. Michaels.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:57 AM

I was thinking of Weatherstone, Preston Oaks, the Highlands area of Preston, and Oxxford Hunt/Bond Park area neighborhoods.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Weatherstone is doable under $400,000, although updating may be necessary.
Oh, Mike - he's coming from NY - those houses are palaces for the price! For $400K in NY you get a pink-and-black 1960s bathroom (probably only one, but you might get a half bath too if you're lucky), formica countertops (sometimes with metal 1950s cabinets), linoleum flooring, oil heat with underground tanks, one car garage, and sometimes paneling in the living area if you're really lucky! Oh - and the best part - your taxes for said house will be at least $10K if you want a halfway decent school district!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary