Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,177 posts, read 76,826,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Wasn't he the donkey???
Weren't he and Ms. Goldman fighting over who got to be the donkey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,138,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Move to Chapel Hill. No ice cream in the cafeteria and very few snacks there either. No food in the classrooms for parties or special events, which means no Christmas parties, Valentine's parties, birthday cupcakes - NOTHING! (Well, they can have parties, but no food. What's a party without food???). Lastly, no "bad food" can be brought in for snack. Which means, in addition to no cookies, candy, no banana muffins with chocolate chips in them or chocolate covered raisins or granola bars with chocolate chips are allowed either.

While I appreciate their stand on kids eating healthy, I do think they have taken it a bit too far. I am quite happy with my child eating a healthy, homemade banana muffin that has a few chocolate chips in it for a snack. And I think kids should be allowed to bring in treats for Valentine's Day. And while having birthday parties for each kid gets to be too much, they should do one once per month for all the kids with birthdays that month and have an approved list of snacks you can bring in or buy from the cafeteria. Not having junk food in the cafeteria, however, I approve of.
I think a happy medium can be reached. I remember in 3rd grade we made ice cream using an old school hand crank maker as part of a science lesson. I imagine today that would be taboo. The no homemade snacks for parties really annoys me as well. How paranoid has our society become?

Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I think a happy medium can be reached. I remember in 3rd grade we made ice cream using an old school hand crank maker as part of a science lesson. I imagine today that would be taboo. The no homemade snacks for parties really annoys me as well. How paranoid has our society become?
Yeah. It is weird.

I'd rather no prepackaged snacks.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:36 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,204,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Yes it's pretty appalling what they sell in school cafeterias here. The elementary school I went to in New Jersey had no lunch room so you got to eat whatever the lunch lady cooked up and brought on her cart. I don't even think lunch ladies cook anymore
Lunch cart-that's a new one!
Yes, they barely cook-so many packaged foods-packaged pancakes infused with syrup and syrup on the side, packaged waffles, packaged cinnamon buns, packaged french toast, and then all the junk at lunch. And there are many teachers that let the kids bring in chips and for snack! I always said a healthy snack-I don't think that's the case here!

Old 03-06-2013, 05:43 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,204,445 times
Quote:
Move to Chapel Hill. No ice cream in the cafeteria and very few snacks there either. No food in the classrooms for parties or special events, which means no Christmas parties, Valentine's parties, birthday cupcakes - NOTHING! (Well, they can have parties, but no food. What's a party without food???). Lastly, no "bad food" can be brought in for snack. Which means, in addition to no cookies, candy, no banana muffins with chocolate chips in them or chocolate covered raisins or granola bars with chocolate chips are allowed either.

While I appreciate their stand on kids eating healthy, I do think they have taken it a bit too far. I am quite happy with my child eating a healthy, homemade banana muffin that has a few chocolate chips in it for a snack. And I think kids should be allowed to bring in treats for Valentine's Day. And while having birthday parties for each kid gets to be too much, they should do one once per month for all the kids with birthdays that month and have an approved list of snacks you can bring in or buy from the cafeteria. Not having junk food in the cafeteria, however, I approve of.
Now that's taking it too far. In the midwest one year my daughter had a teacher that wouldnt let her eat a chocolate chip granola bar or even chex mix-he said chex cereal wasnt healthy. We couldnt send trail mix due to a nut allergy, and I ran out of ideas. I thought even on a bad day that a granola bar or chex mix was ok!

Wow, no parties w/ food? I'm not sure we need to go that far. Moderation is key.
Reminds me of a class party at my old school. A mom brought in a big cake and blue hawaiian punch for the kids (I didnt allow whole cakes in my room due to too many being dropped off with no knife, plates, forks, or assistance to serve 30+ kids). Anyhow, about half an hour after eating the cake, she had 30 kids throwing up blue cake all over her room and down the halls! (cake was from Sams Club, not home made)

Old 03-07-2013, 05:33 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,465,079 times
Isn't anyone here familiar with the Edible Schoolyard movement? I'm surprised no one commented on my school garden post. I was actually serious. This is taking off all over the country and kids are learning to eat healthy things that they have a connection with because they grew it themselves. The Edible Schoolyard Project

It's no mistake that kids prefer junk food. Besides the addictive nature of it, marketing companies are well aware of the emotional connection humans have to their food. Growing a school garden makes the same emotional connection and even picky eaters will try things that they helped to grow.

Edible Schoolyard combines school gardens with lesson plans. You can teach everything from reading, writing and math to advanced sciences and history using a school garden. I think there is a teaching ESY garden in Greensboro.

I just looked at the map to find local schools with an ESY garden: Penny Road Elementary, Francis Lacy Elementary, Milbrook High School, Ravenscroft Lower School, Powell GT Elementary and Longview School all have them.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 AM

9,767 posts, read 15,741,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Isn't anyone here familiar with the Edible Schoolyard movement? I'm surprised no one commented on my school garden post. I was actually serious. This is taking off all over the country and kids are learning to eat healthy things that they have a connection with because they grew it themselves. The Edible Schoolyard Project

It's no mistake that kids prefer junk food. Besides the addictive nature of it, marketing companies are well aware of the emotional connection humans have to their food. Growing a school garden makes the same emotional connection and even picky eaters will try things that they helped to grow.

Edible Schoolyard combines school gardens with lesson plans. You can teach everything from reading, writing and math to advanced sciences and history using a school garden. I think there is a teaching ESY garden in Greensboro.

I just looked at the map to find local schools with an ESY garden: Penny Road Elementary, Francis Lacy Elementary, Milbrook High School, Ravenscroft Lower School, Powell GT Elementary and Longview School all have them.
Our elementary school has a garden. They grow food that our local pizza place uses in their pizza - such as tomatoes and herbs. The children go out to the garden on a regular basis to plant, weed, fix-up, etc. There is also a garden club that meets once a month after school, where the students also work on keeping up the garden. It is a wonderful program, and I am so glad our school has it!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:09 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,465,079 times
Quote:
Our elementary school has a garden. They grow food that our local pizza place uses in their pizza - such as tomatoes and herbs. The children go out to the garden on a regular basis to plant, weed, fix-up, etc. There is also a garden club that meets once a month after school, where the students also work on keeping up the garden. It is a wonderful program, and I am so glad our school has it!
This is very cool. Do the kids not get to eat their own veggies, though?

Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 AM

9,767 posts, read 15,741,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
This is very cool. Do the kids not get to eat their own veggies, though?
Whoops, I forgot to mention that. Yes, they have a few times a year when they pick what they plant and each class gets to taste something from the garden. Sometimes it's something they may never have tasted before or wouldn't normally eat. My kids always discuss what they got to try that day. The garden is one of my favorite things about the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary