Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:56 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

We finally found the solution to this one.

At Sam's Club, probably about six months ago, we bought two tall dark brown plastic wicker-look containers with a flip top and silvertone handle. Each had a heavy-duty plastic insert. We bought one for recycling items and one for garbage.

We keep them in the kitchen. They look good and are large enough to hold and hide everything. For the recyclables, husband removes the heavy-duty plastic liner holding all the items and dumps the contents into the City container outside.

This is what we bought:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/keter-r...prod5380568.ip

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 03-07-2013 at 06:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:33 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,302 times
We keep the recycle cart in the garage...just throw it in there.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Same here, though we have under cabinet bins for trash and recycling so we don't have to go out constantly.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 AM

105 posts, read 362,154 times
Let me Say I HATE recycle ing!! But with that said I do it! we have a couple small trash can red
can= blue/torn up boxes under counter, We tryed on the back deck but did like getting wet . If we have lot I use a plastic trash bag then just hole it over the recyle can and tear the bottom open to emipty! Just a wast of time to me but o well!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:55 AM

189 posts, read 507,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
We have a butler's pantry right off the kitchen. We throw everything there on the counter, and once it gets piled high, we get our 7-yr old son to take it out to the garage and sort it into the bins. I know, looks like a bunch of trash sitting out, but we clean it up if company comes over.
^^^ This
We have a separate basket for paper in our mudroom, but the rest gets piled in the kitchen near the regular trash and then moved into the recycle bin in the garage. We don't drink soda, so not many cans.
I am planning to install the sliding trash bins under the cabinet with separate trash and recycle bins.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 AM

13 posts, read 28,248 times
We have under cabinet slide out containers for recycling and garbage. We use garbage bags in each and when the recycling bag gets wet or dirty, we make that the new garbage bag and put a clean one in the recycling container.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Those plastic storage bins approximately the same size as a recycling curbside container work well...or if you have a garage, just keep the actual bin out there near the door and throw them in it.

Being a "Recycling Nazi", I'm glad to see so much care going into the process

Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 AM

464 posts, read 1,043,505 times
We take cardboard and newspapers to the recycling center 5 minutes from our house every month or so after it builds up. We wont recycle glass or cans until they upgrade us from the tiny bin that is not close to fitting a week's worth of those for us. The website says maybe sometime in August for us to get the new bins.... We shall see.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Same here, though we have under cabinet bins for trash and recycling so we don't have to go out constantly.

FINALLY . Answers that makes sense to me! This is exactly what we've been doing in the Phoenix area for years, and set up in our new house in Raleigh (the apartment complex in Raleigh did not recycle, which we found VERY odd.)

Old 03-08-2013, 07:35 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Unfortunately my garage is so small, the recycle cart won't fit in there along with my car! I need a better solution - currently using recycle bags that look like reusable grocery bags. The rattan waste bin looks pretty nice. I do like that pretty much everything is recyclable these days. I don't even fill one kitchen trash bag with actual garbage in a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary