Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,295 times

Advertisements

I like alliteration a lot.

Anyway, my husband accepted a job offer in Durham on Monday and they want him to start by April 1. (I'm trying not to read anything into that.) We are moving from the Oregon coast, so completely cross-country, and with not much time and a two-year-old, so we think an agent is our best bet. Searching online yields dozens of agents--some with abysmal reviews, some with average reviews, and one with absolutely perfect reviews (which rattled my inner skeptic's cage).

I am having trouble deciding on an agent based on their own opinions (and those of their friends, family, and paid supporters) and was hoping to get some recommendations or anti-recommendations by direct message. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated (and possibly repaid with some fine home-canned green tomato relish). Thanks!

On a side note, I apparently have a lot of parenthetical thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 05:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Where in Durham?

Rental agents here aren't like in other places. Realtors don't much mess with rentals. Maybe go with an apartment until you learn the area?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 1,295 times
Um, Southwest-ish, I guess? I'm still trying to learn all the proper terms and names. Looks like Cameron Woods is the neighborhood?

There are a lot of rental/property management agencies online, though, and I was hoping to get some recommendations or warnings apart from search engine results. We fear the two-year-old will not make us popular apartment neighbors.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 PM

285 posts, read 493,150 times
In southwest Durham, I would consider Woodcroft. It's a nice area with lots of walking trails and a playground for your two-year-old. There are usually some rental houses, as well as town houses and apartments.

I have a name of a rental agent that I will DM you.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:44 AM

42 posts, read 94,954 times
You could do what I'm doing, since I have a similarly short term to find a place (3 weeks). Look for a place in a nice safe area in a reasonably priced apartment/condo that will let you do a 6 month lease. It's a relatively short time period, so you can find somewhere else if you don't like the arrangements, and it gives you time to know the area and figure out where you really want to be given traffic patterns, neighborhood amenities, shopping, and "other considerations". Also, it seems that a lot of rentals come available around the mid-august time frame due to the university/college presence, or at least that's what it seems like from an "outsider" point of view.

This is assuming of course, that you aren't living in a 4-5 bedroom place and own a bunch of crap of course. A nice 2-3 bedroom apartment should suffice in your described family size at least in the short term. I know it's not exactly what you asked, but it's probably the most stress free way of doing things from a distance like that. I'll let the locals give their thoughts though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary