Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:37 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

Oh yes. Anyone from anywhere in the state can go to any charter anywhere in the state if they can get in (via lottery) and can provide transportation. Most of the charters don't have transportation, but a few do. Many of the charters like Woods between Chapel Hill and Pittsboro in Briar Chapel have tons of applicants so getting a space, especially in "off" years that aren't the beginning of elementary, middle, or high school is very tough. There are some other charters in the area that are easier to get into, though. My older daughter goes to Hawbridge in Saxapahaw.

Last edited by poppydog; 03-21-2013 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:16 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
Hawbridge looks AMAZING. Wow.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:21 PM

It's a pretty good fit for my older daughter for middle school. I would be happy for my younger daughter to go there or to Smith in Chapel Hill which is our home school. We really liked Smith a lot, but it just felt too big for older daughter. We'll probably let younger daughter choose when the time comes. Feel free to DM me if you have questions.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:41 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Hawbridge does look awesome. They have any spots for 7th grade? My daughter was drooling at the description!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 PM

I don't know lamishra —*do you mean right now, or in the lottery? You could call and ask.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I meant for next year. Looks like we missed the lottery deadline .

Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 AM

I doubt if there are any openings for next year right now, but if you call you might be able to fill out an application and be placed on the waiting list. I really don't know, but the admin folks could tell you.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
OK, this is why I threw that out there - I wanted to see if it's true. We are told they HAVE to take CA I and II. Hmmmm.
It wasn't true for Martin Middle...however, I'm thinking my daughter surprised me last week by saying she is taking Computer applications in 8th grade? Maybe this is a new push? She could probably TEACH the class.

Requiring computer applications for 6th in 7th is a little late, IMHO. My oldest had a computer teacher in elementary school and it enabled teachers to assign projects using the technology we have available. At Martin, up to this point, my daughter has done precious little with computers. A real shame.....

Old 03-23-2013, 07:37 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
TO the OP, have you looked at Longleaf school of the Arts?

And Martin Middle School sounds very close to what you are looking for. Lots of interesting electives. Great neighborhood.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:17 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
You are probably right. I want to minimize exposure, but via school selection is probably futile. Thanks to everyone for the input.
Sadly it is. Schools are very different now. Our kids are faced with SO many challenges that we didn't face in school. The things you mentioned not wanting or wanting to minimize, are here. My advise, like Meh said, keep your kids close. And I would add, keep them busy after school so that they don't start hanging with the wrong crowd - specifically MS and HS. And always, always, get to know the parents of the kids they do hang out with. We have so many parents here that don't keep their kids close. They have no idea what they are into. And, some of the parents have issues with values too. Vet them carefully. Through my grandson who lives in Cary, I am seeing a whole new breed of parents One set of parents bought their now 18 year old a 4 bedroom house for him to live in - alone! Local kids go over there and skateboard inside the house!! The house is torn up inside I heard. And, on weekends, kids go there to get free alcohol and drugs courtesy of the local HS entrepreneurs (aka dealers). Now I know this isn't happening in just Cary, it happens everywhere in the triangle, including Chapel Hill, and the surrounding area. No place is without these same issues. I hear it from my friends who have kids in MS and HS. And, folks moving to this area from the Midwest, Cali and the NE tell me they have the same issues there.

Sorry to be a downer, but this is the reality and it's better to know now you should be prepared, rather than think you are protecting your child by putting them into a school with less of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary