Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 AM

334 posts, read 866,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
I think that nobody, party affilliation dem or gop, would have any problem with this if the intent was to take the entirety of the land and use it to benefit the mentally ill in some way. I have a feeling that the state GOP is singing that song to woo public opinion so that they will ignore the fact that they are illegally voiding a legally binding lease. In the end they will do something completely different with it. It will be sold to developers etc. Just wait.

I don't know why you're singling out the GOP. The sleazy backroom deal that started all this was done by Bev. There was a movement that wanted to buy the land and set it aside for a park. Which I thought was a wonderful idea. With two big names Poole and Goodman leading the way. Now with all the attention and the recovering real estate market I imagine the price would be considerably more. Raleigh will have to issue a bond and but it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:48 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times
I have not been following this whole story closely, but it was my understanding that the State had already made it's decision about the continued use of the Dix campus prior to, and unrelated to, any deal with the City of Raleigh. Whether the state and city do a deal or not does not change the decision about the mental health services provided on the Dix campus.

While I think the idea of a park sounds like a nice idea, as a non-Raleighite, I do believe the city should pay fair value for it. It might be nice if the state directed any proceeds toward mental health, but that seems unlikely.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,938,831 times
Designating a parcel of land in the middle of a city to be used as a park = sleezy backroom deal. Learn something new every day.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:55 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,707,322 times
I'm not sure why this keeps getting referred to as a "backroom deal" when everyone knew what was happening. It's been happening for years and years.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:16 AM

449 posts, read 698,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I'm not sure why this keeps getting referred to as a "backroom deal" when everyone knew what was happening. It's been happening for years and years.
It's Bev Derangement Syndrome. If she was for it, they are against it. Even if it makes no sense.

To call this a 'sleazy backroom deal' is revealing a lot about one's motives in defending the contract breaking legislation by the GOP in the GA.

But... I shouldn't tar the whole GOP delegation... there are some who are moderate and not 'out to get' anyone. It's mostly the newbies, they're out to make an idealogical statement instead of serving the best interests of the state of NC, and at the same time get some $$$ out of it. A win-win!

Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblackey View Post
It's Bev Derangement Syndrome. If she was for it, they are against it. Even if it makes no sense.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:58 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,140,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Is there a link for this? The info in Wiki doesn't mention the donation.
Dorothea Dix Hospital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NC DSOHF: History of Dorothea Dix Hospital

History of who she was and why it is so important for the site to remain a mental health facility for so many.

Dorothea Dix

National History Day: Dorothea Dix and the Asylum Movement - YouTube

Dorothea Dix - YouTube

Prison & Mental Health, Education and Temperance Reform - YouTube

Old 03-22-2013, 04:02 PM

513 posts, read 1,602,940 times
Cant afford the park. Nuff said. Its amazing it took this long to realize you cant spend $1.30 and only make $1

Old 03-23-2013, 07:20 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,853,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Is there a link for this? The info in Wiki doesn't mention the donation.
Dorothea Dix Hospital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for pointing this out You are right, I was wrong in stating that the land was given by Dix. I was misinformed. But, thanks to Klmquiroz, I am now up to speed on my facts

Please understand that this doesn't take away from the fact that the land was purchased for the purpose of providing mental health treatment to our citizens. And the purpose of my posts was to share to the sentiments of many here in that we see the need to bolster MH services in this area, not reduce them. With this space in the middle of the city, it could serve so many of the triangle's residents. And, with approximately 80 new residents moving here each day, this need will continue to increase.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 03-23-2013 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: corrected spelling

Old 03-23-2013, 07:42 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,853,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmquiroz View Post
NC DSOHF: History of Dorothea Dix Hospital

History of who she was and why it is so important for the site to remain a mental health facility for so many.
Thank you for sharing this...I found it very interesting and enlightening! Dix was an even more amazing woman than I realized!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary