Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 03:45 PM

16 posts, read 23,602 times

Advertisements

I have a water heater leaking problem. The exit pipe is leaking! Something wrong with either the pipe or fitting. Does anyone know a good plumber or contractor to fix it? (I am in the RTP area). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 04:42 PM

913 posts, read 886,523 times
We really like Cary Plumbing Company. They were on time, fair priced, very good and nice as well.
Good luck!

Old 01-08-2015, 04:43 PM

186 posts, read 331,484 times
I had similar problem recently..... the pressure release (safety) valve had gone bad. Cary Plumbing installed a new one for me, about $250. I've had them do work before, they seem to be good and reputable and decent cost. I've heard Schwartz plumbing is also good.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:01 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
If you have an expansion tank, it's likely gone bad. There should be a valve on the end of it. If you push the stem and water comes out that's it.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:15 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
If you have an expansion tank, it's likely gone bad. There should be a valve on the end of it. If you push the stem and water comes out that's it.
Good thought.

I've had that experience and offer these follow-up ideas:
1) Look for an air stem on the expansion tank. It looks like the air stem on a car wheel and works the same way. Unscrew the cap and attach an ordinary bicycle pump. Add air. How much? If the tank is already bad, it hardly matters. Just add "some." If the leak vanishes for a few days (or weeks) that confirms the hypothesis that the tank bladder is perforated.
2) If adding air works so well that the leak returns after six months, then you might decide to just "live with it" and repeat the bicycle pump process twice a year.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:31 AM

76 posts, read 220,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
We really like Cary Plumbing Company. They were on time, fair priced, very good and nice as well.
Good luck!
I just had Cary Plumbing replace my water heater. Not sure how old it was as it came with the house, but it started leaking, pretty significantly. Cost $1069 installed. I'd recommend them. Came out fast, same price as what Lowe's and Home Depot wanted installed, so I'd recommend them and I'll go with them again for my plumbing needs.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:51 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafett4ever View Post
I just had Cary Plumbing replace my water heater ... $1069 installed.
Thank you for this useful information.
It would be helpful to know more about what you got for $1069.
Electric or gas-fired?
Capacity (in gallons)?
Warranty?

Old 01-09-2015, 09:00 AM

266 posts, read 450,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpang View Post
I have a water heater leaking problem. The exit pipe is leaking! Something wrong with either the pipe or fitting. Does anyone know a good plumber or contractor to fix it? (I am in the RTP area). Thanks!
There are two pipes, hot (exit) and cold (entering). Look closely and see what appears to be a cast iron female fitting into which a pipe threaded male adapter is inserted. If the area is wet - dry it. Look for leakage. If water is coming from around the male threaded connection the fitting need be removed and have joint compound applied and re-connected. If water is exiting around the "cast fitting" then the whole water heater is done, time for a new one. Assuming you have either copper which is sweat into the male adapter - water could be leaking from the sweat. If plastic connector the odds are, unless a new connection, the glues pipe insert is not leaking there.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:47 AM

76 posts, read 220,115 times
Hello.
It is an electric water heater, 50 gal... standard 6 yr warranty.
Hope that helps.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:21 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafett4ever View Post
I just had Cary Plumbing replace my water heater. Not sure how old it was as it came with the house, but it started leaking, pretty significantly. Cost $1069 installed. I'd recommend them. Came out fast, same price as what Lowe's and Home Depot wanted installed, so I'd recommend them and I'll go with them again for my plumbing needs.
Kudos to Cary Plumbing for offering a reasonably priced solution. When our hot water heater sprung a leak (literally, the seam burst) I received two estimates, both right around $1,500. Fortunately a good friend with plumbing experience interceded and I wound up getting it replaced for less than $800 (47 gallon tank and what few additional parts were needed), and that included paying him his standard fee (he tried to discount himself but I felt like I was already saving $750 by using him).

Once I saw how simple of a job it was, I was that much more outraged that the two plumbing outfits were going to fleece me. Including the time necessary to purchase the tank, roll out the old one, roll in the new one and hook it up, it took a whopping two hours. That's an obscene amount to charge customers, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary