Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:17 AM

113 posts, read 306,773 times

Advertisements

Hello All , We are married msulim couples , my wife is scarfed and we have a young baby , we are interested to move to CARY I read about high rankings it got in terms of Safety and Job Growth but i need to ask some questions 1- what are safest areas to live and walk alone in night ? 2- would my head scarfed wife face any problems there ??3- how long it take to releigh daily ?4- is the job market good in the area ?? 5-how friendly and tolerent are people with new comers specially if muslims Thanks

Old 04-02-2012, 05:48 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,614 times
1. Almost all areas, with a few places that should be fairly obvious as you drive through. A decent realtor (if you are buying) can steer you clear, but the bad areas in Cary are very few.

2. No problem. Very common here. (and in fact there is a Muslim Center in Cary/Morrisville. Nobody should bat an eye, really.

3. It takes me 15 minutes to downtown, and less than that to Crabtree area, but the truth is that it depends on where in Cary, and where in Raleigh. Could be anywhere from 10-40 minutes in normal driving conditions.

4. No answer, don't know your field, but I'd say that you'd be wise to do your own research on the job market, as it relates to you. (Sorry, but that is so personal, and so important, you really should not rely on a random CD Poster. Respecfully.)

5. Very friendly and tollerent. IMO, Cary is one of (if not THE) most diverse communities in the Triangle. Morrisville has what I believe to be the largest Indian Community in NC. While not Muslim, it does speak to peoples tollerence of diversity. Lots of Muslims (and just about anything else) here. Many MANY Hillel Markets, and Mosques, and friendly restaurants, and etc. You'll be fine.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:35 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
Yeah there's a couple of mosques in Cary so I can't imagine it being much of an issue here.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:08 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
You'll be fine in Cary. I see lots of Muslim women and families around Cary. There are mosques and halal stores too.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 AM

119 posts, read 261,520 times
Yeah, Cary is pretty safe. Pretty much anywhere is ok to walk around. I know of a couple areas that are not the greatest. There is a neighborhood near the corner of reedy creek and maynard that is not the best. Its mainly rented duplexes though. Also, I think near harrison and chapel hill is a bad area. I have heard there are some apartment complexes off harrison ave that have a pretty rough crowd.

As far as diversity, I dont really think cary is that diverse. Yes, our asian population is booming and so in a sense we are getting more diverse but I would not call Cary diverse. With that said, you should not have any trouble fitting in. Everyone I know do not have a problem (or at least an open problem) with other cultures and religions. On a somewhat random note, Morrisville is getting a chinese cultural center with authentic chinese restaurants, chinese stores, and a 5 star hotel. Its suppose to bring a lot of tourism to the area. If our area can support a chinese cultural center I think that says something about our tolerance of other cultures and religions.

I have heard that the triangle was one of the last metro areas to go into a recession and one of the first to show signs of improvement. So as a whole we do have a pretty good job market but I would definitely do your research and make sure you can get a job before coming.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:04 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk87 View Post
Yeah, Cary is pretty safe. Pretty much anywhere is ok to walk around. I know of a couple areas that are not the greatest. There is a neighborhood near the corner of reedy creek and maynard that is not the best. Its mainly rented duplexes though.
Er, what? Can you be a bit more specific about what you're talking about? That's exactly where I live and it's perfectly safe.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
The job market will depend on your specific field, and you didn't say what that was.

Due to many Muslim students in and around NC State University, seeing scarfed women is not uncommon, though not common, either. There will be some who don't give it a momen'ts thought, some who give looks, and you might get some comments, but I would not expect any blatant harassment.

If you are thinking of moving JUST because of something you read, however, you really need to research the area for jobs in your field and visit the area first. Lots of those "best places to live" lists have a specific agenda and don't always show the whole story. But as far as the Muslim issue, you will find community.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
I had a very nice Pakistani co-worker who wrote software about the Muslim religion.

He was not accepted in Cary and needed to move to a more diverse area.

No idea just where he lived in Cary.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:30 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
This might be helpful to you if you're interested in contacting other Muslims in Cary and asking them about their experiences here: Cary Masjid | Cary Masjid

Old 04-02-2012, 01:32 PM

273 posts, read 619,190 times
In addition to seeing scarfed Muslim women.......

You'll also see a lot of idiot kids with Hello Kitty hats and Kermit the Frog plush hats when its cold. Everyones style is different whether it be due to religion or college atmosphere. Just enjoy it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary