Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:50 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
From Lantern's public facebook post:

Lantern Bar - Chapel Hill, NC - Bar | Facebook
So...they did indeed inform the artist and this dust-up is all for naught? Shocker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 06:36 AM

162 posts, read 291,947 times
I've been reading thru this thread with changing emotions. First, I was outraged!! simply outraged!! that this could happen.
Then I read the link to the article and thought, 'hhmm underneath all this it sounds like they want to use the outdoor space for dining & this fit in with their design plan - and it is their building.'
Then I read that the owners HAD notified the artist about the decision quite some time ago.
Then I re-read the article from the Chapel Hill News & now it sounds like a sour grapes story trying to stir something up (altho the owner should have replied to paper's request for comment)
Then I read read some more comments and have to agree that when did we become a people who think we have a right to weigh in on every decision that anyone makes? This is a privately owned business/building and if its not harming the community in any way -- really? In fact, this restuarant has brought nationwide acclaim to the region and employs quite a few people.
Then I realized I have expended way too much energy on a topic that does.not.affect.my.life.at.all.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:16 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
The people who keep saying it was the owners right simply don't get it. Nobody is saying the cant do what they did. Just saying they could have handled it a whole lot better. And no, it really wouldn't have been very difficult to handle it better at the end of the day.
It's not really a matter of whether they were right or wrong. There really is no right or wrong. The artist knew about it. They were going to do what they wanted without the public referendum which surely would have ensued.

Again, you may think it is childish to for this have been done "behind the public's back" but it is just as childish to think that the public has any say in a business owner's decision and whether you want to admit it or not, the public WOULD have thought they had a say in this decision.

This reminds me of the show Restaurant Impossible, where they go in and help failing restaurants. And so often the reason the owners give for not making the changes that would keep the business afloat is that "our regulars won't like it". Invariably these regulars are people who come in for a cup of coffee, say hello, read the paper for 3 hours and then leave. All the while the place is filthy and the food is terrible which keeps real paying customers out.
At the end of the day it's a business and you either go into debt keeping it open or you take the bull by the horns and work your vision.
In 6 months when that wall is covered in a nice garden no one will remember this brou ha ha.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:18 AM

645 posts, read 988,796 times
Hey y'all - this is a rather heated thread. I just wanted to stop in and put in a good word and send some love to Ms. Reusing and the folks at Lantern.

Count me in as one who truly values, supports, and appreciates the unique qualities and folks that make a community special. I, for one, want to acknowledge Ms. Reusing. She is a highly acclaimed talent who creates amazing works of art every day. I am also a HUGE fan of her husband, Mac Maccaughan's work (Superchunk, Merge Records, etc). IMHO, Ms. Reusing and Mr. Maccaughan are great icons of genius and local treasures. In fact, I would go so far as say that in their own ways, they have been responsible for putting Chapel Hill (and perhaps the Triangle) on the map in their respective fields (Ms. Reusing in culinary arts and Mr. Maccaughan in music). Given their contributions and love and respect for the Chapel Hill community and area, I just can't believe these two would be "insensitive" to another artist or member of the community.

Thanks to those above who posted information that gave more truthful insight and background to the situation.

I, for one, am glad to have these amazing talents and folks in our community and backyard.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey919 View Post
have to agree that when did we become a people who think we have a right to weigh in on every decision that anyone makes? .
I blame the internet

Old 03-23-2013, 08:20 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I'm more upset that Andy Griffith's home is being torn down!!!

Ok...not really upset...just think it should be kept as a shrine to the man! But...that is another thread.

I just can't get worked up over the fact that a building is being changed, the artist was notified, blah blah blah. Kinda like the way the library is being closed for renovations...lol.

Vicki

Old 03-23-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjeff View Post
I think the saying goes, better to ask forgiveness than permission. .
Bingo.

End of thread.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Folks do have to remember that this is Chapel Hill, where reality is just a bit different than what you might be used to in other parts of the Triangle.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I blame the internet
People have been getting in other people's business long before the internet came around. It just became easier to be debate things anonymously.

I live in an HOA. There are some good things about it, but I hate the idea that I can't decide how to paint my house or where to plant a tree without permission.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:52 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
IMHO, Ms. Reusing and Mr. Maccaughan are great icons of genius and local treasures. In fact, I would go so far as say that in their own ways, they have been responsible for putting Chapel Hill (and perhaps the Triangle) on the map in their respective fields (Ms. Reusing in culinary arts and Mr. Maccaughan in music). Given their contributions and love and respect for the Chapel Hill community and area, I just can't believe these two would be "insensitive" to another artist or member of the community.
Couldn't agree more. I love Michael Brown's murals, too, but think Andrea and Mac rock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary