Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:29 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,255,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Everwho thinks "ink pen" is only Southern has not been to Alabama, Pennsylvania.
Mike, the spouse and still joke about the DMV lady 20 yrs ago, who when calling the next in line, said, "Everwho's next!"

We're both Nth generation North Carolinians and I had never heard that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 AM

51 posts, read 101,553 times
Default Reply

That does not change what we southerners are talking about when we say a pack of nabs. We mean Lance orange crackers.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 14 days ago)

43,157 posts, read 76,731,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Mike, the spouse and still joke about the DMV lady 20 yrs ago, who when calling the next in line, said, "Everwho's next!"

We're both Nth generation North Carolinians and I had never heard that one.
Well, you can't hear them all.

Everhow, I haven't heard "everwho" for a long time.

I think "everhow" was in the context of "Everhow he built that, bless his heart, he was lost..."

Old 03-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 14 days ago)

43,157 posts, read 76,731,667 times
Right now a couple Nabs sound really good.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:54 AM

206 posts, read 309,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I've never heard any of those things said by anyone since I've been here, whether they are a NC native or not. Most of the native NC's I know barely have any accent. My friend who went to UGA for 8 years of schooling has a heavier southern accent than them, and uses more southern phrases than they do (she asked for sweet tea her first trip back to NY and the server was like "whaaaat?").

My kids have given me a few though. THey've "yes ma'am"ed me a couple of times and the other day one of them asked me for an "ink pen".

Doesn't everyone ask for an ink pen? What do you call ink pens where you came from?

Old 03-24-2013, 11:00 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,255,395 times
I've heard all of these and I'll add one.

My family on my Daddy's side goes way, way back in Bladen county. Down there in addition to the aforementioned "carry you to the store" they also say "low" as in short, like "Stuart got all the height in the family—Martha's right low." Like she's low to the ground or a low-rider. My 90 yr old aunt still uses "low" this way to describe herself. (She is quite on the "low" side at about 5 ft.)

My Daddy also used to say AM bu LANCE with emphasis on the first and last syllables.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:08 AM

206 posts, read 309,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
Is your family from or from near Harnett County by chance? I live in Raleigh, but work in HC. I was told this: most of the bills back in the olden days in HC came from Dunn (which was the "big city" of HC apparently), so people said "I got a Dunn in the mail today". This is just what one of the old-timers told me.

Not sure what county my granny was from but it was her that mostly said dunn, she's passed so I can't ask her.

One of my grad school classmates shared a similar story; a mother was telling her child that she was "actin' ugly", and my classmate thought it was SO horrible that a woman would call her child "ugly". She found out later it refers to behavior, not looks. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think you just answered your own question. Perhaps many natives are like you and talk one way at home and another way when out in public. The question you should be asking is why do you do that?

I think I do that because some people think you are uneducated or a hick if you use the words you were raised with or have a southern accent. I don't know how that started but it seems a lot do it. Even news casters dont have accents anymore to seem... educated? Not sure...

By the way I don't know where in NJ that guy was from but I've never, ever heard any one from the northeast say "switch off the light" - maybe HIS ancestors came from a different part of the country??? Although I'm from NY my mom is from NH, the child of Canadien immigrants and she says some things strangely that got passed down to us kids. We also used to say "crack the window".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Walter View Post
When a southerner say a pack of nabs, they are talking about the orange Toast Chee from Lance out of Charlotte.
That's correct. I love nabs and a co-cola.

I also like an RC and a moon pie.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:10 AM

22,646 posts, read 36,614,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighnative2 View Post
Doesn't everyone ask for an ink pen? What do you call ink pens where you came from?
Pens. As someone noted, "pen" is pronounced "pin" here - hence, people differentiate between "pen" and "pin" with "ink pen".

Old 03-24-2013, 11:11 AM

22,646 posts, read 36,614,732 times
Quote:

You have a quote from me in that post and I DID NOT write was written in my quote.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:13 AM

51 posts, read 101,553 times
Default Reply

Quote:

How bout a mater sammich with Duke's mayo and black pepper? Or a Nease's liver pudding sammich toasted wonder bread with Duke's and peppers. Those are both some kinda fine eaten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary