Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 11:46 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Right now a couple Nabs sound really good.
Square or round?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post

And I know what nabs are. I still like them even though they are terrible for you!
You can probably eat a lot worse. Eating a pack of Nabs is one of the simple pleasures in life you can still find most anywhere. I don't eat as many of them as I use too, but I always stop at a store in "Fed-vul" on the way to the beach for Nabs and a small Coke in a glass bottle.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:08 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Square or round?
Does it matter?

I'm not a cultured purist...

Old 03-24-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Does it matter?

I'm not a cultured purist...
Tom's used to sell nabs out of a jar(round ones) I remember when nabs were sold 4 in a pack...stacked on top of each other.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:21 PM

70 posts, read 141,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBob View Post
"Usetacould" or "use to could" (said as one word), which means "there was a time when" or "used to be anle.". And I've certainly had my share of Cokes or Pepsis with nabs, but at Grandmas house on Sunday afternoons the "menfolk" would pour a bag of Lance peanuts directly in their full Coke or Pepsi bottles and sip and eat to their hearts content.
Yes, I remember the peanuts in the Cokes. The kids always had the Cokes with a nab...and always on a hot summer day

Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 PM

206 posts, read 310,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Yes. Camp Seagull is still there. I was considering sending my son there but it is quite expensive. The four week overnight camp costs around $4,000.00.
Say what? That has gone way up! I forgot what it was back when I went, I think a couple hundred. I need to take a trip there and see if I can get a tour. I learned a lot about boating there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I'll pass on the liver puddin but I do love me a mater sammich!

I love me a fried liver puddin sammich! yumm!

How many of you like fried fatback? Fry it, eat the crunchy part and put the soft part in a biscuit.

Anyone still keep a can of used bacon grease to re-use?

Old 03-24-2013, 12:53 PM

51 posts, read 101,777 times
Default Reply

Camp Sea Gull is a fantastic place. It was around $850 back in the late 70's. My son has gone for the past several years. It is right at 4k. But well worth it IMO. Lots of Raleigh boys still go to CSG. Wyatt Taylor was a great man. Remember him well. I went to Camp Morehead as well back in the day. It is now a housing development. Capt Purcell got old and sold the camp 15 years ago it so.

Last edited by Sir Walter; 03-24-2013 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 01:10 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tournant View Post
I found this pretty fascinating:

NCLLP - North Carolina Dialect Quiz
Very cool!!

I was born in Raleigh, but have lived as far east as Duplin County. I've noticed that I tend to pick up the accent of the people I'm around. (I went to the Bronx to visit a friend once and came back with the "attitude" as well as a bit of the dialect! lol)

Old 03-24-2013, 01:41 PM

6,823 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tournant View Post
I found this pretty fascinating:

NCLLP - North Carolina Dialect Quiz
Thank you. That was very interesting. I did pretty well on that quiz.

I come from southwestern PA (Johnstown). We say pop not soda or coke. We say "yinz" (you plural) but I don't think I've said that for a long time. "Are yinz going to Johnstown?". We also have a distinct accent that my younger sister can do perfectly. I've lost a lot of my Pennsylvania accent but I'm convinced I still have it. Once in a while people have trouble understanding me. I think it's my accent. Speaking of food, I did eat scrapple as a kid but don't enjoy it as an adult.

I do really like the expression "bless their hearts", but I know it's not very nice to say it. I regret that there are so many people here from other parts of the country. I don't get to hear many native North Carolina residents.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighnative2 View Post
Say what? That has gone way up! I forgot what it was back when I went, I think a couple hundred. I need to take a trip there and see if I can get a tour. I learned a lot about boating there.

How many of you like fried fatback? Fry it, eat the crunchy part and put the soft part in a biscuit.

Anyone still keep a can of used bacon grease to re-use?
Loved fried fatback, but my favorite was "strick'o'lean" if we could get it. Now that was really eating "high on the hog"

My mama kept the bacon grease in an old Maxwell House coffee can. She used it for seasoning, scrambling and frying eggs etc. We mixed it in with dry dog food because it was good for their coat. I especially liked to grease down my leather boots before going hunting with the BB gun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary