Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 07:07 PM

30 posts, read 52,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScNcMom View Post
We grew up in NC saying all of those things and also "Give me a Nab and a Coke." Wondering if any transplants use the same term and who from NC remembers what it means.
This conversations reminds me of the thread that wanted to know where all the southerners where. I have thought since that she really did not want southerners, but people around her who knew what "Nab and a Coke" means and that "ugly" is your behavior, and all the other things from our younger days that binds a southern community together and are stuck in our memories. Hope the language doesn't die out.
Around my neighborhood, we ate "four-corner square nabs" and drank "Ahra-Cee Colas".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 07:09 PM

51 posts, read 101,788 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
I think I remember busloads of kids from Camp Seagull coming to the Sanitary restaurant to eat. I waitressed there when I was in high school.
You would have. CSG has an outpost on the Morehead waterfront that the campers can spend the weekend if their parents want to pay a little extra.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:10 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
I shocked myself a couple weeks ago when I told my Southern husband he'd have to "carry me" to the eye doctor (because my eyes were to be dilated for the exam, and I didn't want to drive home like that).

He says I have a Southern accent that changes to Northern when I talk to my NY sister on the phone; I don't notice it myself.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighnative2 View Post
That camp wouldn't happen to be Camp Seagull would it? I went there 3 summers in a row and loved it! The summer of 68, 69, and 70. The best place on earth. I wonder if it's still there. We always said Ahoy there Wyatt to the man that was in charge.

Yep we still say crack the window for some air. We still say cut off the light or cut off the tv. Not many people say carry anymore. But in my circle people still ask if you will carry them to the store.

Actually is was Seafarer. I was one of the few males that had a coveted position working in the mess hall at the girls camp. Sixteen guys working around about 600 girls. Didn't get much better than that.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
It was "turn out" the light or "turn on" the light for us. What that actually meant was to pull the string that turned off and on the one light bulb that hung from the ceiling in the middle of the room....and that's all the electricity there was in the room. One day we got this screw in adapter for the light socket that would allow us the run a radio cord over to the nightstand. We were in "high cotton" then
If I'm not mistaken, some early wall light switches were sort of key shaped. You would turn the switch, like you turn a key in a door lock.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Walter View Post
Camp Sea Gull is a fantastic place. It was around $850 back in the late 70's. My son has gone for the past several years. It is right at 4k. But well worth it IMO. Lots of Raleigh boys still go to CSG. Wyatt Taylor was a great man. Remember him well. I went to Camp Morehead as well back in the day. It is now a housing development. Capt Purcell got old and sold the camp 15 years ago it so.
I worked at Seafarer for a couple of summers in the early 70's. There were two 5-week session each summer. I believe at that time each session was about $500.

Wyatt and Lil Taylor. Wyatt oversaw Seagull and Lil was at Seafarer.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:52 AM

65 posts, read 133,486 times
A few that have been mentioned here plus a few new ones, and a few colorful words for those easily offended.

Sh%t Southern Women Say, Episode 1 - YouTube

Old 03-25-2013, 10:55 AM

65 posts, read 133,486 times
There's also Episode 2.

Sh%t Southern Women Say, Episode 2 - YouTube

Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Walter View Post
That does not change what we southerners are talking about when we say a pack of nabs. We mean Lance orange crackers.
Hey, I'm a Southerner, too! (from just over an hour away) I think any pack of 6 sandwich crackers (not cookies) qualifies as Nabs.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:53 AM

51 posts, read 101,788 times
Default Reply

[quote=roscomac;28827553]Hey, I'm a Southerner, too! (from just over an hour away) I think any pack of 6 sandwich crackers (not cookies) qualifies as Nabs. [/QUOTE

My wife says that I often confuse my opinion for fact. She is probably correct. I just always think Lance. They are southern made. Many other nabs are not. I grew up eating Lance and that is all I think of when I think of nabs. To each his own though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary