Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:22 AM

51 posts, read 101,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Many snack cracker products manufactured by Lance are commonly referred to as "Nabs", a genericized trademark name for Nabisco snack crackers. The term originated in 1924 when the National Biscuit Company (Nabisco) introduced a snack, put in a 5-cent sealed packet called "Peanut Sandwich Packet". They soon added a second, "Sorbetto Sandwich Packet". These packets allowed salesmen to sell to soda fountains, road stands, milk bars, lunch rooms, news stands etc. Sales increased and in 1928 the company adopted and started to use the name NAB, which immediately won the approval of the public.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Inc.
Still doesn't change anything. Every southerner thatI know considers Lance orange squares as Nabs. Nabisco is packaged in NJ iirc. That ain't Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Then we Southerners should have adopted Lances. Anyhow, Lance makes more than one kind of Nab - still Southern.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:52 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Walter View Post
Still doesn't change anything. Every southerner thatI know considers Lance orange squares as Nabs. Nabisco is packaged in NJ iirc. That ain't Southern.
Agreed.

". Many in the southeastern United States prefer the term Nabs to generically mean the specific Toastchee brand of Lance crackers.
Attached Thumbnails
Have any of you that moved to NC picked up our sayings or ignore and use your own?-crackers.jpg  

Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times

Now here's a link to the original...

64. Nabs–The Protein Bar of the South | stuff southern people like

(all in good fun, all in good fun)

Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
I grew up saying nabs myself. When I was living in Va Beach, one of my coworkers, who was raised in the country, also called them nabs. She said it was funny when she moved to the area and mentioned nabs no one knew what she was talking about.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 PM

224 posts, read 432,427 times
Yeah I had never heard of Nabs either. Some sayings that are weird to me are "cut the light off" or "mash the button/key"
And "might could" is just wrong! lol

We grew up saying "you guys", not "you all/ya'll"....sometimes when I'm talking to certain people though, I feel pressured to say "you all" but I can't say "ya'll" lol

I worked for the State for 6 years and there were some employees that I could NOT understand what they were saying!!! Heavy accents, strange phrases. Culture shock! haha

Old 05-14-2013, 09:33 PM

206 posts, read 310,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbornNClivin View Post
Yeah I had never heard of Nabs either. Some sayings that are weird to me are "cut the light off" or "mash the button/key"
And "might could" is just wrong! lol

We grew up saying "you guys", not "you all/ya'll"....sometimes when I'm talking to certain people though, I feel pressured to say "you all" but I can't say "ya'll" lol

I worked for the State for 6 years and there were some employees that I could NOT understand what they were saying!!! Heavy accents, strange phrases. Culture shock! haha

You gave me a good laugh, welcome to NC!

Old 05-14-2013, 11:42 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,566 times
I've seen highway signs that said "Burn headlights when raining" and wondered if I should napalm the suckers.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:21 AM

71 posts, read 180,633 times
Im a native NC-grew up in Sampson Co. I still say alot of whats been mentioned in this thread and some. I use I reckon all the time. "Lick" is another, as in I didnt get a lick of laundry done today. I call my kids younguns, I say over yonder and down the road when Im giving directions or describing a place.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:08 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs189 View Post
Im a native NC-grew up in Sampson Co. I still say alot of whats been mentioned in this thread and some. I use I reckon all the time. "Lick" is another, as in I didnt get a lick of laundry done today. I call my kids younguns, I say over yonder and down the road when Im giving directions or describing a place.
Use those all the time...or "you ain't got a lick of sence" How about "you don't know nothing" I picked that one up from the movie Deliverance. The old man pumping gas used that one on Ned Beaty when Ned told him he liked the way he wore his hat. "you don't know nothing"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary